STALKER's Pripyat in Real Life

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
pyromcr said:
creepy, i wonder how many ghosts there are at these places???
sorry what? ghosts? like no people died man, well in the long run they may have but honestly? ghosts? stop making stupid posts that make no extra discussion.
I'm quite certain that around 57 people died from radiation poisoning, not including the two that died in the initial Chernobyl explosion. Another 4,000 cancer cases were caused by the radiation spreading across Europe. I'm quite certain a lot of lives were lost. And please don't insult people for their harmless beliefs, however absurd you think they are.

Anyway, I thought the picture of the empty swimming pool was far scarier than the decrepit ferris wheel. I don't know why. All I know is, it's time to kill some mutants!
*cocks AN-94*

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Zeeky_Santos said:
sorry what? ghosts? like no people died man, well in the long run they may have but honestly? ghosts? stop making stupid posts that make no extra discussion.
Soviet censorship and the nature of radiation exposure make it difficult to nail down anything resembling precise figures but it's safe to say that hundreds and possibly thousands of people died, or died prematurely, as a result of the Chernobyl disaster. Your post is profoundly ignorant.

And there are ghosts in such places. Don't kid yourself. Not the Ghost Hunter-style of hot television nonsense, maybe, but history echos in such places.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
The same as in Stalker and CoD4?

...Enemies coming from all sides... NOOO DOGS ARE HERE!! X TO NOT DIE!! X TO NOT DIE!!!

...Quick load number 67.

Gah.

MCGT

Sep 27, 2008
That site seems down at the moment but last year I found another one with pictures from a guy who went on a guided tour there.

He got taken into abandoned classrooms and stuff - it felt so melancholy.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Sadly, the pictures in the LJ linked to in the article aren't working, thanks to bandwidth restrictions- apparently the Escapist is the new Slashdot. ;)

But I've seen other pictures of Pripyat, and as someone who has a passing interest in abandoned places, it really strikes a chord with me. If I recall correctly, that Ferris wheel has never even been used- the disaster struck before it was ready.

A sad testament to the hubris of mankind and the frightening power of the atom.

nikomas1

Jul 3, 2008

Well... That ferris wheel isn't the only one that strikes a memory... *Bark bark*?

Musicfreak

Jan 23, 2009
You know I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that the government actually operates tours of Pripyat as well as some other areas. Definetly something I want to do before I die.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Me and a friend plan to visit when we are 18, theres nowhere else in the world like it.
The accident has always intrigued me, and some of those run down buildings i recongised from stalker straight off. I just read the article claiming that The games didnt perfrom in Amaerica because they couldnt understand the culture, how can you not be interested by a disaster on such a scale?