Stan Lee Developing Gay Superhero Series For Showtime

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Stan Lee Developing Gay Superhero Series For Showtime

Comics legend Stan Lee is developing a new drama for Showtime [http://www.sho.com/] about the life and times of a gay teenage superhero.

The hour long show will be based on the 2007 novel Perry Moore [http://perrymoorestories.com/content/hero.asp?id=superheroes], who is also writing the pilot for the series. The novel tells the story of Thom Creed, a high school student just awakening to both his superpowers and his sexual identity. Afraid of the reaction of his homophobic home town, Creed struggles to keep both aspects of his life a secret.

Northstar [http://www.justpressplay.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4285&Itemid=144], who was snuffed in 2005 at the hands of a rampaging Wolverine. Northstar had originally revealed his sexual orientation in 1992 while still a member of the Canadian super-team Alpha Flight.

Lee, meanwhile, established a reputation as a supporter of equal rights through his early work in comics, particularly through the use of the famed X-Men series, which he used as proxies for stories about racism and other forms of prejudice. He went on to achieve great fame as the driving force behind Marvel Comics [http://marvel.com/], responsible for the creation of noteworthy heroes like Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, Daredevil, the Incredible Hulk and many others.

No word yet on when Hero will debut, or who we might see filling the titular role. In the meantime, don't feel too bad for Northstar; like all good superheroes, he was quickly resurrected and thrown back into the fray.

Feb 13, 2008
I think being able to fly at light speed might be slightly more worrying than just fancying blokes though.

And didn't Northstar also have a twin sister who was mutant bi-polar?

"Dad, I have to tell you. I'm gay."
"That's alright son of mine, as long as you're not going to start throwing cars about."
"Well...about that..."

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
Would it be prejudiced of me to hope that this might finally be a superhero who doesn't look ridiculous?

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
Hawgh said:
Would it be prejudiced of me to hope that this might finally be a superhero who doesn't look ridiculous?
It would be silly of you to hope that. If this guy doesn't have a costume covered in rhinestones and a rainbow cape I'm canceling Showtime.

Seriously though, I suppose it's a neat idea... it seems like more of a "stunt" to me, but if the show is any good I'll give it a watch. Stan Lee's the man.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
HSIAMetalKing said:
Hawgh said:
It would be silly of you to hope that. If this guy doesn't have a costume covered in rhinestones and a rainbow cape I'm canceling Showtime.
Not funny.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
The_root_of_all_evil said:
And didn't Northstar also have a twin sister who was mutant bi-polar?
Yeah, that was Aurora. She suffered from some kind of multiple personality disorder. I never paid much attention to Alpha Flight - and neither did anyone else, which is the main reason Marvel decided to bring Northstar out in it.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Hawgh said:
: D

Yeah, the costumes of all straight super heroes are extremely gay, skin-tight affairs, so maybe the gay hero will have the most badass costume ever created. : )

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
Aries_Split said:
HSIAMetalKing said:
Hawgh said:
Not funny.
Wasn't trying to be hurtful-- just a jab at "straight" superheroes who wear flamboyant costumes.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Stan Lee working on a gay superhero project, and it isn't Aquaman?
Brilliant.

How are there no Batman and Robin jokes yet? First gay superhero movie... right...

Amund

Oct 24, 2008
HSIAMetalKing said:
Hawgh said:

Seriously though, I suppose it's a neat idea... it seems like more of a "stunt" to me, but if the show is any good I'll give it a watch. Stan Lee's the man.
Well there are several gay heroes, none of which to my knowledge are wearing anything like that. I could name them, but i don't feel like it.

I think this series will be something akin to Smallville in the style of the hero. In Smallville Clark has yet to wear the signature costume, however he has been using all the powers.

And yeah I can see this being a stunt. However I do think this stunt can be good for gay people.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I mentioned to someone when this report first came to light that I really miss the days when superheroes spent their time solving crimes and kicking the shit out of bad guys, rather than getting all angsty about their sexuality.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
This got me thinking about superheroes we're still missing.

I mean, we've got superheroes in wheelchairs, a gay superhero, one with multiple personality disorder, plenty of superheroes with hair problems, weight problems, impaired vision, etc.

Where's the Mormon superhero? Or the superhero suffering from radioactive poisoning?

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
zoozilla said:
Or the superhero suffering from radioactive poisoning?
well some FPS heroes have stepped into somes pits with radioactive waste, but they seem to dont affect them.

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
Malygris said:
I mentioned to someone when this report first came to light that I really miss the days when superheroes spent their time solving crimes and kicking the shit out of bad guys, rather than getting all angsty about their sexuality.
I think it's Alan Moore's fault, though I wouldn't have it any other way.