Stan Lee Developing Gay Superhero Series For Showtime

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Not the first gay superhero. The Midnighter is far older and much cooler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnighter

Also, forgive me if I am being presumptuous and any of our homosexual Escapists can stop me, but I think the Homosexual community would rather it be a Superhero who -HAPPENS- to be Homosexual, not a Homosexual Superhero.

Whats the difference? The first implies that homosexuality is so normal and natural it doesn't require special mention or specific attention- it's just another part of the character, like Peter Parker being a smartass.

The second implies OMG GAY SUPERHERO!

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
Must...refrain....from quoting Jeff Dunham jokes.

oh, what the hell.

"Look, it's Gay Man! Don't turn your back on him."
"oh, and when he flies his butt whistles."

but honestly, I think it sounds alright. I think the problem is that it has to be on showtime. Why does a series about a gay superhero have to be on showtime? Is the fact that it includes sexuality/homosexuality means that it has to be restricted from basic cable.

Nov 12, 2008
Oh dear God, I live in the southern U.S., I can just imagine the religous nut bags here will have their panties in a twist about this real soon, it doesn't take much to set them off.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
zoozilla said:
This got me thinking about superheroes we're still missing.

I mean, we've got superheroes in wheelchairs, a gay superhero, one with multiple personality disorder, plenty of superheroes with hair problems, weight problems, impaired vision, etc.

Where's the Mormon superhero? Or the superhero suffering from radioactive poisoning?
Why not kill several birs with one stone? We can make a wheelchair-using, multiple personality-suffering, overweight, impaired vision Mormon, radioactive black lesbian who's lefthanded!

We could call her, All Bases Covered Girl!

ward.

Aug 6, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Stan Lee working on a gay superhero project, and it isn't Aquaman?
Aquamans not a superhero =]

This might get some panties bunched but I'd prefer to see a lesbian superhero.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
ward. said:
Khell_Sennet said:
Stan Lee working on a gay superhero project, and it isn't Aquaman?
Aquamans not a superhero =]

Well, there is Batgirl, who, ironically, was originally included in the Batman comics to ward off the whole "Batman is gay" vibe. Try not to think about how Batgirl is a hot blonde, and more that they really are trynig to be politically correct, honest...

And like other people, yes, I did think of The Ambiguously Gay Duo.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Homo Man, Homo Man,
does whatever a homo can.
Wears bright pink, every day,
some might think, that he's gay
Look out! Here comes the Homo Man.

He's not strong, he's not tough,
that's because, he's a puff.
How do we know, that he's gay?
Saw him doin', the YMCA.
Look Out! There goes the Homo Man.

In the dead of the night, at the sceen of a crime,
you will see Homo Man, leading a congo line...

Homo Man, Homo Man
does whatever a homo can.
Criminals, stay indoors,
or your rear end, will be sore.
LOOK OUT!
Here comes the Homo Man.

Hope I didn't offend anyone too much, but the idea got stuck in my head and I couldn't stop laughing till I posted it...
Thats made my day. Thanks

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
Elurindel said:
ward. said:
Well, there is Batgirl, who, ironically, was originally included in the Batman comics to ward off the whole "Batman is gay" vibe. Try not to think about how Batgirl is a hot blonde, and more that they really are trynig to be politically correct, honest...
You might be confusing Batwoman with Batgirl. Batgirl isn't a lesbian, no matter how often she hugs her female Birds of Prey teammates. Hey, wait a minute...

Feb 13, 2008
Malygris said:
I mentioned to someone when this report first came to light that I really miss the days when superheroes spent their time solving crimes and kicking the shit out of bad guys, rather than getting all angsty about their sexuality.
Blame Frank Miller. That's when the Golden Age was permanently tarnished.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Malygris said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Not the first gay superhero. The Midnighter is far older and much cooler.
Who, and what, are you talking about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnighter

The Midnighter. Lesser known character. He's sort of what would happen if Captain America and The Punisher had a gay love baby.

Midnighter is a fictional comic book superhero, best known as a member of the rogue superhero team The Authority. Created by writer Warren Ellis and artist Bryan Hitch, he first appeared in Stormwatch (vol. 2) #4, before going on to appear in various Authority books and series and his own eponymous ongoing series. Some see the character as a parallel or reinterpretation of the DC Comics superhero the Batman. He and his partner, Apollo, have also been interpreted as a parallel of the Batman/Superman "World's Finest" partnership.[1] Unlike Batman, Midnighter has superhuman abilities, and regularly kills his opponents. In an interview for Comic Values Annual (1999), edited by Alex G. Malloy, Warren Ellis described Midnighter as the Shadow by way of John Woo. Midnighter is rarely seen without his costume and mask.[2]

Midnighter is gay, and is married to fellow Authority member Apollo.[1] The two of them have adopted Jenny Quantum as a daughter
Okay, maybe calling him 'COOLER' is a stretch, it's some crazy 3rd party superhero. Still.