Stan Lee Developing Gay Superhero Series For Showtime

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
TsunamiWombat said:
Malygris said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Not the first gay superhero. The Midnighter is far older and much cooler.
Who, and what, are you talking about?
The Midnighter. Lesser known character. He's sort of what would happen if Captain America and The Punisher had a gay love baby.
The question was more about where this NOT THE FIRST business came from.

It's not important.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/148996

That's what came to mind for me.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
needausername said:
... Christ, I'm behind on the news, I though Stan Lee was dead...

[sup] Don't Hate Me [/sup]
Why would I hate you? Its pretty much what I've been hoping to hear for years now.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Malygris said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Who, and what, are you talking about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnighter

The Midnighter. Lesser known character. He's sort of what would happen if Captain America and The Punisher had a gay love baby.

Midnighter is a fictional comic book superhero, best known as a member of the rogue superhero team The Authority. Created by writer Warren Ellis and artist Bryan Hitch, he first appeared in Stormwatch (vol. 2) #4, before going on to appear in various Authority books and series and his own eponymous ongoing series. Some see the character as a parallel or reinterpretation of the DC Comics superhero the Batman. He and his partner, Apollo, have also been interpreted as a parallel of the Batman/Superman "World's Finest" partnership.[1] Unlike Batman, Midnighter has superhuman abilities, and regularly kills his opponents. In an interview for Comic Values Annual (1999), edited by Alex G. Malloy, Warren Ellis described Midnighter as the Shadow by way of John Woo. Midnighter is rarely seen without his costume and mask.[2]

Midnighter is gay, and is married to fellow Authority member Apollo.[1] The two of them have adopted Jenny Quantum as a daughter
Okay, maybe calling him 'COOLER' is a stretch, it's some crazy 3rd party superhero. Still.
If by '3rd Party' you mean far better than the tedious overblown mainstream Hulk/Flash/Superman stuff, then yeah.

Something I really liked about Midnighter and Apollo is they deal with love and their sexuality, but not shoehorn it into the script just to have a gay couple in the story, it just happens when it would happen between a straight couple, and doesn't feel either exaggerated or hidden.

Also, there's no stereotypically 'gay' stuff going on, no pink lycra outfits, just huge amounts of extreme violence, I see no reason why a gay superhero can't beat the bad guys to death just as well as a straight one.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Sounds like an interesting idea.
Might be worth a look... you can't argue with Stan Lee.

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Well, there's a few more than just Midnighter [http://www.gayleague.com/gay/characters/]
Thanks for that link. Hopefully I'll be able to check this out. Kinda plays into the "gay characters in gaming" thread awhile back.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
zoozilla said:
This got me thinking about superheroes we're still missing.

I mean, we've got superheroes in wheelchairs, a gay superhero, one with multiple personality disorder, plenty of superheroes with hair problems, weight problems, impaired vision, etc.

Where's the Mormon superhero? Or the superhero suffering from radioactive poisoning?
There are plenty of religious Superheroes, and not just the obvious ones that people know, and radioactive poisoning....uh...you REALLY cant find any?

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
blackcherry said:
needausername said:
... Christ, I'm behind on the news, I though Stan Lee was dead...

[sup] Don't Hate Me [/sup]
Why would I hate you? Its pretty much what I've been hoping to hear for years now.
Any hate that the other guy MIGHT have gotten, automatically all goes to you, plus alot more. You're allowed to want it, cause I would be a hypocrite to say there are no popular people I want dead, but I dont go to places fans are or may be and say such things.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
TsunamiWombat said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnighter

Also, forgive me if I am being presumptuous and any of our homosexual Escapists can stop me, but I think the Homosexual community would rather it be a Superhero who -HAPPENS- to be Homosexual, not a Homosexual Superhero.

Whats the difference? The first implies that homosexuality is so normal and natural it doesn't require special mention or specific attention- it's just another part of the character, like Peter Parker being a smartass.

The second implies OMG GAY SUPERHERO!
Except for that first bit which I know nothing about, I want to second this. Having a superhero who happens to be gay is good. But making it LIKE A HUGE BIG THING is not productive to the Super-Secret-Gay-Regime, which is acceptance and also world domination.
Well, cant know till it comes out, but I think its more about the double whammy of having to deal with BOTH things. Like, having to deal with the pressure of being gay, and on top of that, dealing with having these powers.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
All I keep thinking is that as long as Stan Lee is behind it then it can't go too far wrong... can it guys?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Khell_Sennet said:
Homo Man, Homo Man,
does whatever a homo can.
Wears bright pink, every day,
some might think, that he's gay
Look out! Here comes the Homo Man.

He's not strong, he's not tough,
that's because, he's a puff.
How do we know, that he's gay?
Saw him doin', the YMCA.
Look Out! There goes the Homo Man.

In the dead of the night, at the sceen of a crime,
you will see Homo Man, leading a congo line...

Homo Man, Homo Man
Criminals, stay indoors,
or your rear end, will be sore.
LOOK OUT!
Here comes the Homo Man.

Hope I didn't offend anyone too much, but the idea got stuck in my head and I couldn't stop laughing till I posted it...
I think I just peed my pants. Did you just come up with this at the top of head?

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
zoozilla said:
This got me thinking about superheroes we're still missing.

I mean, we've got superheroes in wheelchairs, a gay superhero, one with multiple personality disorder, plenty of superheroes with hair problems, weight problems, impaired vision, etc.

Where's the Mormon superhero? Or the superhero suffering from radioactive poisoning?
Spiderman covers that, right? Fantastic Four? It's just....awesome radioactive poisoning!

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Well, it's an interesting idea, but personally speaking, no me gusta. I'm afraid it may turn out like Heroes and the whole sexuality bit might just be a gimmick for gimmick's sake.

But hey, it might be better than Heroes- what isn't- so I'll give it a chance.

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Homo Man, Homo Man,
Wears bright pink, every day,
some might think, that he's gay
Look out! Here comes the Homo Man.

He's not strong, he's not tough,
that's because, he's a puff.
How do we know, that he's gay?
Saw him doin', the YMCA.
Look Out! There goes the Homo Man.

In the dead of the night, at the sceen of a crime,
you will see Homo Man, leading a congo line...

Homo Man, Homo Man
Criminals, stay indoors,
or your rear end, will be sore.
LOOK OUT!
Here comes the Homo Man.

Hope I didn't offend anyone too much, but the idea got stuck in my head and I couldn't stop laughing till I posted it...
You sir, just won teh internetz for a day! Have a cookie shaped like Mario!