Star Citizen Funding Hits $25 Mil, Secures Aussie and EU Servers For Alpha

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Dudes! Stop pledging money already! I want this game to be released within my lifetime. Thank you.

DanielScott

Nov 9, 2009
Desert Punk said:
yes, I have put money down, I am almost 600 dollars into the game before launch.

I am very much looking forward to the dogfight alpha and I am glad aussies and euros will be able to enjoy it too without dealing with terrible lag!
Nikolaz72 said:
Entitled said:
Is it just me, or there is something fishy about how implausibly quickly this thing continues collecting money, without slowing down?

The second biggest video game crowdfunding was for Torment, with 4 million, and it's backer pattern looked like this [http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/#chart-daily]. So did most comparably large kickstarters, with the bulk of the money collected in the days of the announcement, and the closing days.

Even if we were to assume that Chris Roberts and Wing Commander are apparently an order of magnitude bigger household names than Planescape, Obsidian, Double Fine, Homestuck, Elite, and Total Annihilation, that still doesnt't explain why they continue to be collecting a million during any four unremarkable days, almost as much as on their highest days of their announcement, instead of showing the typical curve pattern.
I contributed hundreds to this, where I contributed tens to Torment. The guy above contributed 600 to this, people just, really.. REALLY want to see this.

Also their rewards are basically given to you directly, you don't buy soundtracks or an extra NPC in an RPG by prepurchasing, you are buying SPACESHIPS TO FLY IN SPACCEEEE (And its fkin Expensive)

Their stretchgoals are always enough to get people to give more again. Like, EU Aussie Alpha, guess who donates. Europeans and Austrlians. They want those servers.

On a scale of 1 to "Oh my god what have you done."

How will you feel if it flatout sucks. Like DaiKatana level of terrible?

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
DanielScott said:
Desert Punk said:
yes, I have put money down, I am almost 600 dollars into the game before launch.

I am very much looking forward to the dogfight alpha and I am glad aussies and euros will be able to enjoy it too without dealing with terrible lag!
Nikolaz72 said:
Entitled said:
Is it just me, or there is something fishy about how implausibly quickly this thing continues collecting money, without slowing down?

The second biggest video game crowdfunding was for Torment, with 4 million, and it's backer pattern looked like this [http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/#chart-daily]. So did most comparably large kickstarters, with the bulk of the money collected in the days of the announcement, and the closing days.

Even if we were to assume that Chris Roberts and Wing Commander are apparently an order of magnitude bigger household names than Planescape, Obsidian, Double Fine, Homestuck, Elite, and Total Annihilation, that still doesnt't explain why they continue to be collecting a million during any four unremarkable days, almost as much as on their highest days of their announcement, instead of showing the typical curve pattern.
I contributed hundreds to this, where I contributed tens to Torment. The guy above contributed 600 to this, people just, really.. REALLY want to see this.

Also their rewards are basically given to you directly, you don't buy soundtracks or an extra NPC in an RPG by prepurchasing, you are buying SPACESHIPS TO FLY IN SPACCEEEE (And its fkin Expensive)

Their stretchgoals are always enough to get people to give more again. Like, EU Aussie Alpha, guess who donates. Europeans and Austrlians. They want those servers.

Instant Suicide I reckon. But before that an LSD induced coma in which I will dream of what game it could have been.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Desert Punk said:

Pretty much this. I've bought 5 ships (for a grand total of something like $800) so far and I will probably end up buying a couple more depending on what ends up being released.

God, this game can't come out soon enough.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Entitled said:

Thing is, it does slow down. Quite remarkably to basically nothing at some times.

Of course, basically nothing is still $50,000 a day most of the time. I think the lowest I've seen it go was $23,000 in a day. A lot of that will be from subscriptions though. Not subscriptions to play the game, but funding subscriptions whereby every... month? These payments are likely done on a monthly basis for the pledge, not the company, so some people will be paying money most days. These subscriptions do basically nothing, but give access to the 'Jump Point' digital magazine, which gives them info on the game ahead of the rest of the crowd.
Outside of that more and more people slowly trickle in, and people buy $5 skins and $20 ships as they're not that expensive.

The 1 million in 4 days is a big event, it rarely happens. Hell, I think the best we've managed before is the 1 million in 7 days when the Hangar Module was released.
And that's the thing. That's how CR keeps pulling in money. He doesn't, like Torment seems to do but IDK as I'm not really following it, put out the kickstarter, get the money, then disappear to make the game and re-emerge a month later. He doesn't just leave it at the Wingman's Hangar episodes every Friday/Saturday, depending on where in the world you live, to give out info and answer questions. He advertises.
The big things that have bought in money previously are, if I recall correctly;
1. The initial Crowd Funding Campaign.
2. Various interesting stretch goals that people really wanted, like Destroyer class vessels, enhanced salvage mechanics, additional planets on launch - ect.
3. The Origin 300i commercial; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSaxTH1gAYo
4. The 24 hour livestream, whereby expensive ships such as the Idris which sold for $1250 each went on sale.
5. The release of the Hangar Module, allowing people to walk around their hangars and ships, and interact with them to an extent, in-game.
6. The RSI Aurora Commercial and Brochure; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvDs7RDKCag and https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/bos6n1wm4e42dr/source/Aurora-Brochure-2944-V8.pdf
7. The anniversary of the crowd funding campaign.
8. The most recent, which pulled in 2 million in a bit over a week, the Anvil Aerospace Hornet Commercial and Brochure; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0gZES2pTWk and https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/e89t7l6bef97hr/source/Brochure-Hornet-V8.pdf

Along with each of the commercials and brochures, ship variants were released, which many people instantly bought. These were also quickly added to the Hangar so the people could run around and play with their new ships. Apparently in some of the recent patches, the ability to fly out of the Hangar into a 'test level' was added, though there have been no official statements on it and I haven't bothered checking myself. Might have to at some point.

Basically, SCs funding pattern will be largely the same as Torment's, just on a larger scale, and recurring rather than only happening once. I've sat there watching it tick over the millions. It ticked over the 23-24 million mark by a donation of one or two thousand, and such donations had been happening constantly for the last half hour, with the minimum donation per minute I noticed at the time being $300, whilst the 24-25 million tickover occured with a donation in the 50s or 100s, and leading up to it there were several tens of minutes where no donations at all were given. It does slow down, but even slowed down its just at a whole other level.

Tiamat666 said:
Dudes! Stop pledging money already! I want this game to be released within my lifetime. Thank you.
It is estimated to be released as either beta or full product first quarter of 2015. I'm thinking it'll take till either last quarter or first of 2016 personally. The extra money, ATM, isn't really adding much to dev time and cost though. This goal just means they purchase servers earlier. They don't have to develop anything extra, just buy. The previous and next goals are and were either applying a slightly different design philosophy when it comes to building one alien race's ships, or enhancing a system that already exists in the game. As of $23 million, all pre-planned features for the final game were funded. Now its just improving those features by hiring additional staff to work on them, or additional equipment and/or resources to do so.

Rufus Shinra

Oct 11, 2011
Agayek said:
Pretty much this. I've bought 5 ships (for a grand total of something like $800) so far and I will probably end up buying a couple more depending on what ends up being released.

God, this game can't come out soon enough.
I'd say you're kinda crazy, but then, I take a look at my room and the 1,500 ? of MLP plushes and statues I have and I remember I'm in no position to make any critic here. After all, as Major Marshall said it so well, "you are either an earthworm or an eagle".

(or a duckie, in my case ^^)

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm honestly surprised at how many of you guys keep buying ships for a game you don't even know is good or not yet.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_Release_Schedule

OT: Holy everything. I'm really impressed at this point.

And with the upcoming stretch goal, I may be tempted to finally slam some money down on it.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Rufus Shinra said:
I'd say you're kinda crazy, but then, I take a look at my room and the 1,500 ? of MLP plushes and statues I have and I remember I'm in no position to make any critic here. After all, as Major Marshall said it so well, "you are either an earthworm or an eagle".

(or a duckie, in my case ^^)
To be fair, I am kinda crazy. I freely admit that. It also helps that I am very susceptible to impulse buys and that's what most of them were.

Oh well. Such is life.

NoeL said:
One question: can you play as a girl?
I want to say that that is a possibility, but the character creator hasn't been made/released yet, so I can't say for sure.

LongMuckDong

Aug 23, 2011
This is the deal breaker for a game that will be twitch based in its PvP - Since I'm a Kiwi... SOLD!! :)

Corralis

Nov 12, 2009
Rufus Shinra said:
NoeL said:
That's... actually a very good question.
Yes you can. It was stated somewhere that the very first thing you do in the game is in the UEE Navy recruitment office, you walk up to the toilets and choose which one to go in (male or female obviously), then the character creator kicks in when you look into the toilet mirror. Now whether this has been confirmed I'm not sure but I think i read that in the Death of a spaceman article that is on the web site. It might also just be an idea that was thrown round the office without any substance to it but there has also been some female concept art drawn up so no reason why there wouldn't be female playable characters.

Rufus Shinra

Oct 11, 2011
Corralis said:
Rufus Shinra said:
NoeL said:
That's... actually a very good question.
Yes you can. It was stated somewhere that the very first thing you do in the game is in the UEE Navy recruitment office, you walk up to the toilets and choose which one to go in (male or female obviously), then the character creator kicks in when you look into the toilet mirror. Now whether this has been confirmed I'm not sure but I think i read that in the Death of a spaceman article that is on the web site. It might also just be an idea that was thrown round the office without any substance to it but there has also been some female concept art drawn up so no reason why there wouldn't be female playable characters.
Well, this is a good way to make the selection without breaking the immersion, indeed. As a fan of Fem!Shep, I hope I'll be able to make female characters.

dcndnts

Oct 29, 2013
NoeL said:
Taken from Letter from the Chairman: $19 Million! [https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13266-Letter-From-The-Chairman-19-Million]
"In honor of this goal, we are pleased to present the first concept art of our female explorer. For our first female character we didn?t want a cheap pinup; we wanted a badass space explorer who can hold her own on the fringes of civilization!"

DanielScott

Nov 9, 2009
Desert Punk said:
DanielScott said:
Desert Punk said:

Nikolaz72 said:
Entitled said:

Likely around a 1 or 2 to be 100% honest.

I was also a legendary backer on Mechwarrior Online and that game sucked absolute donkey balls. It was annoying, but no more so then buying a really shitty game.

But yeah, it will be more annoyance than anything if it ends up suck.

Wouldn't it be more like buying 10 games at once you're really excited for and having them all be god awful? :p

From what I've seen it looks like it could be definitively the best of It's genre ever released. Hope it works out for everyone.

Quick question though, which may have been mentioned already. Is this the same Devs/type of game as that Freelancer one that came out a few years back? I gave that a go enjoyed it quite a bit. (Apologies if this has been mentioned already, i'm sick and my brain is made of jelly.)

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
And the PC master race grows stronger and stronger with each passing day... that is, until it inevitably gets ported to next-gen consoles.