Star Citizen Hits $49 Million, Still Needs Crowdfunding Support

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Science should find a way of converting pessimism into fuel. Because then I could power my own bloody Bengal carrier.

But hey! Something is unexpectedly and massively successful! An' I got new wheels on me ol' Ban'wagon!

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
In the end they wont sell a single copy because everyone who wants the game has allready pledged and will receive their copy when the game finaly launches...

In short they allready saturated most possible customer sales... so there wont be any real "profit" to speak off since they burned it all in development.

Atleast thats my guess with how crazy this whole scenario is.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Jadak said:
For a game launched by a kickstarter originally asking for $500,000... What in the fuck.
This is the problem I have with crowd funding, if they are running out of funds after getting exponentially more than they asked for how would they have made the game for half a million dollars? While the extra money is being spent on production and polishing and expanding the content what would the $500k game have been like?

It was either going to be rubbish from being developed on a shoe string budget or they would never have been able to finish it, like the way that Yoghurt casting game (or whatever it was) collapsed because they ran out of cash.

It seems some of the kickstarters are purposefully underquoting the cost of development to attract more investors as they might think "hey thats not much it should reach that", its a risky strategy and I think we will see a lot more bungled kickstarters because of it.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
jpoon said:
So long as it keeps ALL publishers far the fuck away from this game, I care not. Let them make their own game, no need to complain about them funding themselves when PEOPLE WANT THIS GAME TO HAPPEN. Let it go folks, let the devs dev, and let us all enjoy a good space sim in a couple years.
Or it wont be good, because feature creep causes incredibly poor design quality. If they kept at it, its eventually gonna lose support, and if this games development crashes, then that is plain it for kickstarter models. They'll be dead. Completely dead.
I don't believe this is the only chance for kickstarter at all, don't kid yourself. There have already been a lot of very successful kickstarters, take Divinity for example. This is just one game so don't act like it would be the end of kickstarter, at the very worst it would be the end of one...single...game.

They've already stopped adding new features to the game, and they have expanded their company to handle it. If Chris has done his work right (and I personally have faith in the guy) there will be enough money and man-power to develop everything and produce something great.

Too many people have the patience of a 10 year old it seems.
Patience...

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
A man matching Roberts profile was later seen with a fake beard and trench coat, boarding a plane to the Bahamas with an overstuffed suitcase with bills poking out under his arm....

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I hope this wouldn't be another duke nukem forever.

Needing $150,000 for an in game ship is dubious at best, you can get a whole house or even a whole city in game that doesn't require that much money. I think whoever actually believe it cost that much for an in game ship is just gullible and if they DO actually requires that much then they are doing a very very inefficient job and are wasting your money.

lassiie

May 26, 2013
If I was the developers of this game I would spend every day in fear of this game releasing, as if it is anything other than a fucking masterpiece of epic proportions...they will all be facing hordes of angry disappointed backers....

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Karadalis said:
In the end they wont sell a single copy because everyone who wants the game has allready pledged and will receive their copy when the game finaly launches...

In short they allready saturated most possible customer sales... so there wont be any real "profit" to speak off since they burned it all in development.

Atleast thats my guess with how crazy this whole scenario is.
Nope. I, and many, many other people, aren't showing them a dime (they don't need it at this point) until the game is out and has good buzz.

J Tyran said:
This is the problem I have with crowd funding, if they are running out of funds after getting exponentially more than they asked for how would they have made the game for half a million dollars? While the extra money is being spent on production and polishing and expanding the content what would the $500k game have been like?
It was originally going to be $18M or so. The Kickstarter and external crowdfunding campaign's original goal was $2M, to attract investors.

There was even a big celebration when they hit $22M in funding, if I remember right, because the game was "Officially Completely Indie". Everything up to that point had been accounted for in the original budget.

They've only 2.5xd their budget, not 100xd it. So what are they planning to do now that they weren't planning before? <link=https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals>Making feature-complete, learnable alien languages, that's what.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Nope. I, and many, many other people, aren't showing them a dime (they don't need it at this point) until the game is out and has good buzz.
They allready wont get 50 million in sales.. how much more market can there be left for such a niche game project?

We are talking about a PC only title after all that is also a space fighter simulator.. its not exactly the next GTA despite its aparrant high quality. So the entire fratboy demographic wont touch it.

So i doubt that there is a big profit left to be made by this game.

MercyMike

Aug 7, 2014
Specially the 150k dollars for a ship design is complete bogus, we are talking designing the outside and maybe a few rooms for inside the ship, a virtual ship not something real, in a 3D program. After ship number 1 a lot of details, textures and other assets will be reused in other designs. Lets do some quick calculations as many dont seem to even think about such a number as 150k.

If you hire a full time 3d artist , their salary is 60,000 US dollar a year and that is already on the high side. That means 1 ship in SC will have had 2.5 years of 1 person's time to draw. 2 and a half years ! Which of course is just not true. Even a lazy artist with a complex design would be done in 3 months with a minimum of supervision, making the design of the first ship to cost 15k dollars, not a tenfold of that..

The second ship would take a lot shorter because of being able to reuse elements of the fist one.

Roberts needs those bogus high numbers to justify even more money to his fans, nothing else there is no truth behind it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Bke said:
It sounds like they seriously don't know how to manage their time and organize their development schedule. Usually you want the base game done; have the core experience hashed out as soon as possible with the fiddly extras done later (to put it in very simple terms) that way if there is a sudden need to release its not like to lose any of that core experience. From what I've seen they've still to finish the persistent world which is meant to be the main feature in which the ships will interact... cause MMO.

This just screams of poor design process, plain and simple.
when your making oneoff game - yes. whne your making MMO the best thing you can do is make your core able to take massive changes without brekaing. it may not seem important now, but 5 years down the lifecycle you will hit a deadwall that you coded in 5 years ago before thinking something is possible that you want to implement now. having "fiddly extras" done at launch however expands the possibilities for later change significantly.

MercyMike said:
If you hire a full time 3d artist , their salary is 60,000 US dollar a year and that is already on the high side. That means 1 ship in SC will have had 2.5 years of 1 person's time to draw. 2 and a half years ! Which of course is just not true. Even a lazy artist with a complex design would be done in 3 months with a minimum of supervision, making the design of the first ship to cost 15k dollars, not a tenfold of that..

The second ship would take a lot shorter because of being able to reuse elements of the fist one.
thats not how it works. you hire artists to do ships, as in, you pay them per ship. and how much they ask depends on polycount. supposedly, the poly count in this game is through the roof.

and yeah, you dont know space games if you think reusing ship assets is a thing.

Not that im saying they arent making thing up, just that your calculating it wrong to begin with.

Karadalis said:
We are talking about a PC only title after all that is also a space fighter simulator.. its not exactly the next GTA despite its aparrant high quality. So the entire fratboy demographic wont touch it.

So i doubt that there is a big profit left to be made by this game.
so released on most profitable platform, where the space fighter userbase mainly resides. they know which market to pick, the question is only how big is that market.

MercyMike

Aug 7, 2014
Strazdas said:
thats not how it works. you hire artists to do ships, as in, you pay them per ship. and how much they ask depends on polycount. supposedly, the poly count in this game is through the roof.

and yeah, you dont know space games if you think reusing ship assets is a thing.

Not that im saying they arent making thing up, just that your calculating it wrong to begin with.
Polygon count can be easily upped to impressive numbers by any 3d package without actually adding workload, to make curves smoother for example. And like in any game, space games too , assets are reused. Think about things like textures, external weapons, little ship details, windows, tailgates, exhausts. After designing a few ship you will end up with a nice part bin that makes building each next ship less and less time intensive.

Ok so they don't use full time hired designers but pay per project, that will reduce the costs even more because you can fish in a larger pool and save on things like medical plans, pensions plans and so on. My calculations might be wrong but they are a lot closer to the truth than the 150,000 dollars per ship quote from Roberts.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Ok so I only just looked up this game and it piqued my interest.

However, there is one thing I don't quite understand...in what way do you actually purchase the game? It looks like there are different packages to purchase (from $40 US up to a mega-fucking-whopping-omgwtfbbq $15000 US! Seriously!). So does actually buying a particular package limit you to how much of the game is available to you? I am confused.

To me it sounds like buying the $40 package gets you 1 shitty ship to fly around in while those who spend the $15K are the only ones who actually own the full game? Or are they just 'paying to win' and by spending $15k they are basically given the end-game? If so, then WTF so confusing! Why would you even play the game if you have unlocked everything straight away with your fat wallet?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The more I hear about this game, the more I have a feeling that people are getting screwed over...

I don't care how much you've added, going from needing 500 thousand to over 49 million is ridiculous and I don't understand how they're still getting money. Then again, I would never fund ANY kickstarter, let alone one that's already made a ludicrous amount of money.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
The more I hear about this game, the more I have a feeling that people are getting screwed over...

I don't care how much you've added, going from needing 500 thousand to over 49 million is ridiculous and I don't understand how they're still getting money. Then again, I would never fund ANY kickstarter, let alone one that's already made a ludicrous amount of money.
~$20M original budget*

They've doubled their budget, not multiplied it by a hundred. They just don't need investors anymore. The Kickstarter was one quarter of their original fundraiser (run from their website), which was mostly meant to attract investors/publishers, but the response was so great that they're going indie instead.

Nereus77

Oct 19, 2011
I follow the development of this game very closely. I admire the passion of the developers. I haven't backed yet, but I should by the end of the year.

Star Citizen is going to be the Best Damn Space Sim Ever!

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
And here I am, patching the game, waiting to see how hard I can break this game after the latest patches (whenever those were, hrmm). XD