Star Citizen Raises $55 Million, Making it The Most Crowdfunded Anything, Ever

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Shadow-Phoenix said:
As much hype and money is going into SC I can't ever seeing myself getting into it, I'm far more interested in No Mans Sky especially since it's 4 people and none of them talked down to other platforms let alone shunning them completely
I don't think a statement of fact (the new consoles don't have enough RAM or fast enough processors to keep up with the physics engine) is necessarily talking down to anyone. It's just how it is.

We haven't seen no man's sky working yet either, so I'm not getting excited until it's playable. It's does looks very promising though.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Rufus Shinra said:
Zacharious-khan said:
I wonder if there was a phone call to the Ouya people that went something along the lines of "Suck it"
They have enough money to get an intern or two whose job is to call them 24/7 just to do this.
Lets not forget though, the Ouya people have a finished, working product that does at least a good part of what it said it would, or can be reprogrammed with other software to do more that it wasn't originally supposed to.....and it cost only as much as one of those digital intangible ships that you get to look at right now......so really who's the ones out on top right now?

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Just don't hold your breath on the title coming to next-gen consoles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136143-Star-Citizen-Too-Much-Game-for-Consoles-to-Handle], as it is apparently too big of a game for Sony and Microsoft's machines to handle.
WII U release confirmed.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
P-89 Scorpion said:
There are 4 hangers to walk around in ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aUVup0p7y8&index=8&list=PLSPT1I-KtyUFSXRUPe5eq7MotSr1IuwI1 ).
That's not playable content. Playable content is getting in your ship flying to a destination, completing an objective (kill 10 wolves, etc) and then returning.

Jmp_man

Apr 24, 2011
*Crosses Fingers*

Please be good... Please come out...
Please... Croudfunding has so much potential. Don't kill it by making people believe this was a scam.

God I'm overly optimistic aren't I?
Shocksplicer said:
Steven Bogos said:
Just don't hold your breath on the title coming to next-gen consoles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136143-Star-Citizen-Too-Much-Game-for-Consoles-to-Handle], as it is apparently too big of a game for Sony and Microsoft's machines to handle.
WII U release confirmed.
Next Up:

Star Citizen:
Only on Nokia Phones.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, I'd really like if this game came out to be any good, but my guess is that it's going to be the most expensive shamble that people have ever made.

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
I can't help but think a lot of the support for Star Citizen comes from the original promise to "make consoles and weak computers shit out their internal organs into a bucket" and the idea that a Titan would be required to play at minimum.

This is what the people with $3000 liquid-cooled dual-Titan computers that can run every game for the next 2 years at maximum settings at the same time wanted: a game so graphic intensive that it justified their massive purchase. A game that "console-tards" could never play. A game by the Master Race, for the Master Race.

Rufus Shinra

Oct 11, 2011
Slegiar Dryke said:
Rufus Shinra said:
Zacharious-khan said:
I wonder if there was a phone call to the Ouya people that went something along the lines of "Suck it"
They have enough money to get an intern or two whose job is to call them 24/7 just to do this.
Lets not forget though, the Ouya people have a finished, working product that does at least a good part of what it said it would, or can be reprogrammed with other software to do more that it wasn't originally supposed to.....and it cost only as much as one of those digital intangible ships that you get to look at right now......so really who's the ones out on top right now?
The ones with 55 millions, I'd say.

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
Skeptics continue to be skeptical, while SC community continues to not give a damn about what anyone else thinks about them.

A group of like-minded, passionate, driven people can do anything - and a great video game is among the least of those things. SC will be great.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
P-89 Scorpion said:
When he runs out of money for this game people are going to be so pissed and I will sit here laughing my arse off.
He has worked within far smaller budgets and released gold. I'd bet on him before any other operational game company currently running.

Emanuele Ciriachi

Jun 6, 2013
SweetShark said:
Did people paid 100 dollars for their personal Spaceships?
Fair enough. I hear similar things for other games and it were more expensive than this one.
To create your enemy,Boss,Weapon etc I mean.
I put over $300 in this project already, without counting the Oculus Rift, my HOTAS and the upcoming pedals. Yes, I'm quite invested in this game - but then again, Wing Commander was such a big influence in my young years.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Rufus Shinra said:
The ones with 55 millions, I'd say.
not really. call me not drawn in by the hype, but there's a bit of a big difference between having a finished phsyical item you can hold, and having a digital file you can't do much with. difference of perspective of interest I guess *shrugs*

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:
As much hype and money is going into SC I can't ever seeing myself getting into it, I'm far more interested in No Mans Sky especially since it's 4 people and none of them talked down to other platforms let alone shunning them completely and their user bases so I'm more likely to go for NMS and respect those devs.
so? whats wrong with not going on consoles? seriously people get so gosh darn defensive

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Vault101 said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
As much hype and money is going into SC I can't ever seeing myself getting into it, I'm far more interested in No Mans Sky especially since it's 4 people and none of them talked down to other platforms let alone shunning them completely and their user bases so I'm more likely to go for NMS and respect those devs.
so? whats wrong with not going on consoles? seriously people get so gosh darn defensive
Why are you asking me exactly?, I'm not a 1 only platform owner, I multiplatform, I was referring to those that don't exactly game on PC yet would like to play the game on their platform of choice, like how PC people would love to see something a console has come to their platform of choice, it's not a one way feeling that only PC people have.

I wouldn't say I was defensive about it at all, you sound a little though about a possibility given previous evidence, I also remember the time you got banned Vault, it's not hard to forget that defensive day.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Blarg Blargson said:
Whatislove said:
I don't know if it's just me but I think Star Citizen is going to be just OK, while the similar No Man's Sky being developed by Hello Games looks like it's going to be infinitely better and it doesn't have 280 developers, and I'm quite sure it doesn't have a budget of over 55 million.
You have a lot of faith in four guys with no budget who only have one major project in their history (and it's not a space sim), one of whom claims that procedural generation will provide all the content in their game.

Say what you will about Star Citizen - at least it's concrete. You can go and buy your way into the beta right now, and learn about what they're planning to do by watching the huge backlog of developer videos or reading the pages upon pages of fluff articles and dev blogs.

No Man's Sky has been all promises and dreams since it was announced in 2013 - I don't expect much to come of it. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but at most I'm expecting a game that gets boring after 4-5 hours because when you're done flying around at random and getting into fights with other players there just isn't much to do in a world that consists only of random land-and-skyscapes.
Oh I know, I still don't think No Man's Sky will turn out to be what it wants to be (It probably won't turn out to be as bad as Spore, but I'm expecting a similar disappointment, though I hope I'm wrong), like I said in my follow up post. We don't know if either of these games will actually deliver, but on paper (if things were to turn out exactly as they've been shown so far), I'd prefer No Man's Sky.

Star Citizen probably has a higher chance of actually succeeding with it's goal, but 280 developers and $55,000,000 doesn't automatically mean it'll turn out the way we are promised. Blizzard threw ten's of millions and their best devs at project Titan and after years and years the game wasn't living up to expectations, so they scrapped it, started again and it still wasn't good enough so they canned it altogether.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Why are you asking me exactly?, I'm not a 1 only platform owner, I multiplatform, I was referring to those that don't exactly game on PC yet would like to play the game on their platform of choice, like how PC people would love to see something a console has come to their platform of choice, it's not a one way feeling that only PC people have.
the reason a lot of games don't get to PC is usually either licence related , they just don't get around to it for whatever reason. or porting as far as they are concerned is just too hard/not worth it. PC gamers aren't entitled to every single game that comes out...it would be [i/]nice[/i] especially if its something we would have liked to have played (Red Dead for example) but they can do what they want

but

is it a little pandery to emphasise the fact its not on consoles? yes...yes it is, but it also [b/]means something[/b] there are very real technical implications of a game remaining a PC exclusive, its a legit selling point

a game that makes [i/]NO compromises[/i]...in graphics, in gameplay, in demographic..THAT is something people are exctied for, even if it required two titans running on plutonium thats something I think people respect and because thease days it does not come around very often thats why this game is such a big deal

if they can find a way to make it work on a console then all good, but to plan on that in the first place there WILL be considerations and compromises (depending on the kind of game)

[quote/]I wouldn't say I was defensive about it at all, you sound a little though about a possibility given previous evidence, I also remember the time you got banned Vault, it's not hard to forget that defensive day.[/quote]
I don't see what that has to do with anything

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Floppertje said:
Way to take words out of context. Yes, he did say that the ps4 and xbox one are basically mid-level pc's so there is some potential, but he also said that this would require microsoft and sony to be more flexible, which it really doesn't seem like they're going to be, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Look buddy when it comes to that man (not the Guilty Gear character just to be clear) its a work brother. He ain't shooting trust me.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
Floppertje said:
Way to take words out of context. Yes, he did say that the ps4 and xbox one are basically mid-level pc's so there is some potential, but he also said that this would require microsoft and sony to be more flexible, which it really doesn't seem like they're going to be, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Look buddy when it comes to that man (not the Guilty Gear character just to be clear) its a work brother. He ain't shooting trust me.
I have honestly no idea what you just said. 'work brother'? shooting what?