Star Citizen Too Much Game for Consoles to "Handle"

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Haru17 said:
Building a PC, a totally rewarding gameplay experience, definitely not something they literally pay people to do. Also; your console CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!
or he's spinning a load of bullshit cause he's a fanboy pandering to fanboys. Which is fine, with wording like 'all the technical advantages' it seems aimed squarely at the PC fanboys with PC way more over powered then they'll ever need, and cool as that is for you all ... >.> you do realize PC gamers like that are in the minority right? and that most don't care about specs 'so long as it works', might look at this thing with its presumably high specs (by high I mean modern 'Crysis' high cause that's the vibe I get) and deem it not worth the time and money to upgrade.

Granted,I'm not getting it regardless. Not my kind of game and truthfully, I've got popcorn at the ready for when this thing comes out and starts failing to live up to the hype.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
lacktheknack said:
Wat?

The only way Sony could get them "on side" is to release a new console (dem system requirements), and if they do badly, they've already raised all the cash needed to build the damn thing, so they enter the market with a profit already...

...literally nothing you said makes sense.
And people said Minecraft/Crysis 1 on consoles was impossible, yet they got it on there. Yes yes I know what your response to that already is, but lets not waste time arguing the point as you know what I'm saying.

Charcharo said:
I dont see it as a joke.

Sometimes, something just wont work. It probably will require more power then what the console can give.

Same as STALKER not being able to run on a PS3/360.
We've over that before friend and you know my view on such things.

Lunar Templar said:
or he's spinning a load of bullshit cause he's a fanboy pandering to fanboys. Which is fine, with wording like 'all the technical advantages' it seems aimed squarely at the PC fanboys with PC way more over powered then they'll ever need, and cool as that is for you all ... >.> you do realize PC gamers like that are in the minority right? and that most don't care about specs 'so long as it works', might look at this thing with its presumably high specs (by high I mean modern 'Crysis' high cause that's the vibe I get) and deem it not worth the time and money to upgrade.
Don't sell these guys short, they've ran quite a fundraising campaign and are clearly very smart people. Its doubtful they are fanboys, or marks as I like to say...more guys who know what they should be saying to get people whipped up, parting with their cash, and selling them over like gods.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
Lunar Templar said:
Don't sell these guys short, they've ran quite a fundraising campaign and are clearly very smart people. Its doubtful they are fanboys, or marks as I like to say...more guys who know what they should be saying to get people whipped up, parting with their cash, and selling them over like gods.
We shall see if they really are crafting something good as they claim, or just spinning bullshit to get money from a group of people that really are short on, seemingly desperate for these kind of games, won't we?

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
StewShearer said:
Star Citizen has raised a butt ton of cash through crowdfunding. In fact, as of the last count, the game's fundraising efforts had accumulated more than $48 million or, if you want a more impressive sounding number, 4.8 trillion pennies.
That's 4.8 billion pennies.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
SanguiniusMagnificum said:
Oh, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me for being just a poor, downtrodden, miserable and filthy console peasant, m'lord. I'll go and crawl right back into my primitive, Prehistoric cave and continue playing Gears of War and Uncharted (only games that I own, of course) on my 200$ Xbox 360 while letting the glorious PC master race live in it's ultra-high polygoned futuristic utopia.

Thank you. We appreciate your understanding of your own inferiority.

lolz But no in all seriousness, what you have to realize is that in the pre-Steam world, back in 2004 (yes I know it was officially released in 2003, but it didn't pick up steam (yay puns) until about 2006-2007.) Everyone, be they a video game journalist, a developer or the overwhelming majority of the customer base were saying "PC gaming is dead". The only thing really keeping the platform alive as a gaming device was WoW, and maybe The Sims. For those of us that had used these machines for gaming since Doom was released, it was hard to deal with all the doomsayers claiming the end of our platform. Hell, we never even got Halo 2 or 3, which we had figured were guaranteed as WINDOWS is a Microsoft product. So in truth the snark is purely reactionary. I doubt it would exist had there not been so much mockery of PC gamers in the mid 00's. Now I am not saying this justifies the mockery that console gamers now receive, but it does explain it. The key is really just to drop the attacks on both ends and recognize that as a group we all enjoy the same hobby.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Cool. If this actually manages to live up to expectations (I'm skeptical of all Kickstarters -never backed one, never will), I might finally build a decent gaming PC since while my laptop can handle most games, it certainly won't handle this.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
How many times does it need repeating? All the petitions and whining wont bring it to consoles if they can't handle it.

As it is, someone found that next gen consoles are well below the power of a GTX 480. That is ancient. The minimum requirement that is rumored is a 460 to run it on absolute minimum.

If next gen is half the power of a 480, they'd have to cut out large swaths of the games so consoles can handle it. The recommended specs are well above what the consoles can give. Hell, it asks for 12GB of RAM.

Not GDDR5 VRAM. Regular ram. So lets put another 1-3GBs for Vram. That comes out to a max of 15GBs of RAM. Next gen consoles will at most use 5Gbs due to xbox one's RAM eating OS.

So whats the point of porting if it will be headaches for the dev and a worse game? Just because the 7th gen was cutting edge doesn't mean this one is too.
Ancient? Perhaps, and quite possibly 20-30% less powerful than the next comparable 700 series card, but it's still in the same league as the likes of:

Discrete: GTX 295, 480, 570, 650 Ti Boost, 750 Ti
Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Starfighter. Battlefront 2. Yeah, both mainly combat centric but still. Consoles can handle space combat. I want a game with space combat on consoles. Hell, I'm getting a PS4 just for no man's sky.

I don't even need it to be this game, but can I have one space combat game on Xbox 360 that isn't just that tiny section in halo reach?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
Racecarlock said:
Starfighter. Battlefront 2. Yeah, both mainly combat centric but still. Consoles can handle space combat. I want a game with space combat on consoles. Hell, I'm getting a PS4 just for no man's sky.

I don't even need it to be this game, but can I have one space combat game on Xbox 360 that isn't just that tiny section in halo reach?
There was Dark Star One which was okay Freelanceresc game.
Freelancer-esque? That sounds fantastic, I love freelancer.

This is a 360 game? Where can I get it?

Back on the topic at hand, no, this isn't too much game for consoles, this is simply the fanciest graphics because graphics. And hey, if people want that, that's fine. But I've never been a big fan of the whole "Graphics are what makes the game great" attitude. And I often look up icenhancer GTA IV footage just to drool at it. But really, if it wasn't for all of the shit he's pumping into graphics instead of making more game modes or something, this probably could be on consoles. Like star wars starfighter and jedi starfighter were on the PS2.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
briankoontz said:
StewShearer said:
Star Citizen has raised a butt ton of cash through crowdfunding. In fact, as of the last count, the game's fundraising efforts had accumulated more than $48 million or, if you want a more impressive sounding number, 4.8 trillion pennies.
Nah man, there are 100,000 pennies to one Dollar. Don't they teach anything in school these days?

On that note, it's not surprising that consoles can't run Star citizen, seeing as it needs 12 gigs of RAM. 12 gigs converts to 1.2 trillion bytes, right?

Kuuenbu

Apr 15, 2013
someonehairy-ish said:
briankoontz said:
StewShearer said:
Nah man, there are 100,000 pennies to one Dollar. Don't they teach anything in school these days?

On that note, it's not surprising that consoles can't run Star citizen, seeing as it needs 12 gigs of RAM. 12 gigs converts to 1.2 trillion bytes, right?
IT'S

NOT

JUST

ABOUT

GRAPHICS.

How many times do the contributors of this thread need to beat into you the concepts or "memory", "storage space", "interface options", "AI algorithms", "lack of corporate licensing restraints" and all sorts of other things before you understand why PC gaming has its fanbase?

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Look console players, this game was kickstarted as a true "PC Gaming Master Race" game and that is what the developer has said multiple times in the past, yes it kind of sucks that you miss out on this game but if you can have killzone on PS and Halo on Xbox One all to yourself, we PC gamers should get some type of exclusive,

Fact of the matter is the game was marketed as a PC game and it has been promised and stated multiple times in the past that this will be a PC Focused game with little to no consideration towards a console port...

You have every right to be disappointed with that and I can't say I blame you, if I was in your position I wouldn't be happy, but you shouldn't be suprised by this announcement

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Vivi22 said:
MrHide-Patten said:
I think there has been more then one occasion where people have said the 'graphical arms race' is the thing that's killing the industry with budgets bing blown on only the most swankiest of graphics. There are many ways to make a game great without 5 millon particle shaders on screen, but as my experince has shown, the masses love the particles.
Part of the reason budgets increase so much in the console realm as graphics increase is optimization. You can do a game that looks as good as the best consoles have to offer for substantially less because they have the power to handle it while consoles rely far more heavily on optimization. It's one thing to program some lovely shaders and make some fancy 3D models with gorgeous textures, but what do you think happens when you need to spend twice as much time getting them to run on a console compared to on a PC? Congratulations, instead of spending $10 million on a game, you might now be spending a cool $20 or more depending on the level of optimization required. Because now we're talking about multiple models with varying polygon counts and multiple textures of varying resolution, combined with more programming work to make it all run smoothly and switch between things somewhat seamlessly. Oh, and those levels you were building? Can't handle the draw distance with the number of objects we want on screen so you'll have to change those.

The graphics arms race is part of it, but the fact that it's happening on consoles is the biggest part of the problem. With PC's, you start out with more power, and if you're going to need more power to handle things on the highest settings then don't worry about optimizing it to cut corners, just wait 6 months and companies will have released significantly more powerful graphics cards. Can't do that on consoles though. People are going to expect games released years after launch to look better and better, and the only way to accomplish that is to spend more and more time finding ways to optimize things to run decently.
True, however I must append with some personal experience. We've had to heavily optimize our own game even though we haven't got any plans for consoles (licensees are expensive), we've optimized for players with lower end PC's, so people with systems that are 'worse' off than the PS4/Xbone, can still play it.
I would also fix my prior point, whilst I would say that a large amount of money would go into getting your game looking nice, the big wigs spends enough money to feed a third world country on advertising alone. But I'll damned if sales figures don't justify them. Usually game quality doesn't come into how well a game does, but by how much of a marketing budget they've got, on the odd case a stroke of luck (Minecraft, etc).

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
J Tyran said:
It only went up the other day, its not the most technically accurate thing ever and they could have chosen a better game. Watchdogs is almost nailed together and a right mess, still kind of funny that it compares best to that old card.

So much for that "supercomputer" and that other "supercharged PC" eh?
Well, we knew full well already that PS4 basically has a 4780 with two calculation cores offline, but to be honest i wasnt expecting it to do so poorly agaisnt 480 - a 5 year old card.

BrotherRool said:
If you can turn the graphics down to put on a lower end PC, you can release a console game with those graphic settings :p
No. Because graphics isnt the only thing that requires resources.

BrotherRool said:
Unless Star Citizen genuinely can't run on anything with less than 16GB RAM. Which would mean the developers are doing a terrible job
Because RAM is the only thing it takes to run games.....

KingsGambit said:
My guess is they'll spend the majority of the $44m on development with a little leftover which can fund ongoing patching, bug fixing, QA, customer support and also to keep some liquidity in case they have a lean month. But every penny they earn from sales will be profit since they won't need to recoup a thing. And the developer of the game will get every penny from its sales, not give up the lion's share to a publisher, console manufacturer or maybe even digital-distribution platform.
I may be wrong here but i believe this "most use on developement" is for the kickstarted asking amount, if they got extra funding which goes above the original costs plan, well, i dont think its regulated that hard on where it goes, including bonuses for doing a good job. Though personally i do not believe we got a scammer in this case.

Rozalia1 said:
Must? Never said that, I don't make absolute statements hence why I made sure that lovely word "likely" was right at the end of that line.

The short of it is you are incorrect in the conclusion you've drawn in relation to my usage of the word mark...to put it long.

Lets put it this way, they want to sell a certain story to a certain group of people so they cut a nice heel promo coming off all mean and tough putting down the other guys. Now why would a heel cut a promo to gather cheers? Well they're heels to console marks, and faces to PC marks (to put it all very crudely so note that, anyway the nature of how they say things means its still a heel promo though). Its a USA-Canada thing if you get what that is referencing.
Those booing, and cheering all this on are marks at the end of the day, nothing wrong with that (though it should be discouraged) at the end of the day of course as people make their own life choices...hey if it makes them feel better they can know I'm an Ambro, Zigzag, and even a FeedMeMoron...we all have our vices in life.

Anyway I don't really care, their promos don't cause me to cheer or boo...just silence from me. Now I'm sure you'll say how is me posting here silence, well used in the context of cheering+booing what I'm doing is essentially giving them silence. If I was to be buying their product this wouldn't change anything, and if I wasn't then it'd also have no effect either.
Its just me giving my own view of the events regarding them and how well they are playing people, I do enjoy some nice heel work after all and I will compliment it.
No malice from me , which is what I get the impression you always think it all comes from.

Now considering how much misunderstanding comes about between us I have no hope in this setting things straight, as I've laid things out like this before to no avail. No condensation, or malice again I just know that we never see eye to eye and will if left unchecked go on for ages and ages faffing about all over the place. In an effort of diplomacy I won't waste your time of course, or my own on such futile matters.

See I'm a nice understanding guy, not as big a meaniehead as you thought I hope.
Fair enough, you did not go to absolutes and i shouldnt have either. the falsity is still on your side as that argument makes little sense as others have explained.

It is also clear that you do not understand what mark means. And being from europe i do not understand that "USA-Canada thing" your talking about.

You do not do silence, because you are "booing". you are "booing" their decision to release it on PC only.

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
All reading this article makes me wonder is how much bloatware and sloppy programming went into padding the game so much that it becomes a resource-hungry "game" that most people won't even be able to play without a supercomputer.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Nurb said:
Even as old as their poor choice of graphics engine is, it'll still run horribly.

They're still barely past the concept stages and it's already coming up on 2 years in development.

I'm an hour-one backer, but I'm really starting to worry about this project more as time goes on.
there is a playable demo out there that some people have acess to (not sure how to get one). so its hardly just concept stages. ALso 2 years is not bad yet. most "great" games took 3+ years (Stalker, metro for couple examples). Id actually be more worried if they churned it out in a year unfinished like DayZ did.

Quellist said:
Sounds like he's cutting out a lot of regular PC gamers too, by his words its going to be a game for the truly rich PC elite only. Not all of us can afford GTX 780 cards and Liquid cooling systems...
the minimum requirements is said to be 460 gtx - a 5 year old card. so if you have updated during last 5 years (and i know not everyone did because usually games can run without that) you should be able to run it. the 780 ownership wil lbe required only for graphic options on maximum. See, here in PC gaming we have a choice of what settings to use.

harrisonmcgiggins said:
Lol, I actually SLI with twin 460 1gigs, and I have no problem playing Any game.

?..except fucking watchdogs >. < that shit made my power supply overload, and fry itself and the pci slots.

Found out with my new mobo and power supply....the 460s(and soundcard) amazingly still worked
hopefully you got that second 460 cheaply? because if you were to just go and buy a new one, for same money you could get a singlecard that will do more. anyway, watchdogs have ran poorly even on sli titans. it was very poorly coded.

Caiphus said:
And my main argument has been based around the rough equivalent of a PS4 (probably ~ a GTX 660). Because that's what the article at PC Gamer suggested.
real life tests suggest that PS4 cannot perform as well as 480 GTX. The quite even went like this: "I cannot underclock my 480GTX enough to match the performance of this console".

Gnmish said:
The hardware requirements for the game are mid to high level for a PC today, by this time next year it will be mid level, by 2016 a mid-low end PC (<$1000) will be able to run it no problems at all.
1000 dollars is a high end PC. you can build a PC that runs Star Citizen now for less than 500 dollars. Of course if you buy prebuilt you may have to pay exessive amount of money many prebuild companies try to scam out of costumers, and there are extra taxes outside of NA.

lacktheknack said:
You wouldn't try to put Bioshock on a Nintendo 64 "with compromises". The engine is just too advanced to support something that far back.
ironically, there was a poster who tried to prove me you could put crysis 2 on Nintendo 64 "with downgrade" and it would stil lbe Crysis. there seem to be people who genuinely believe its possible.

Ishigami said:
The average pledge o SC is what atm? About 100$? ? Roughly 2 times what any ?normal? person would pay for a regular PC game.
well, majority of people didnt pay that. its dragged upwards by a few famous poeple donating large sums. this is what happens in wage statistics too and why we always exclude the top few % wages because then the average wage would end up being 10.000 per month. yes, the wage gap is that big for some people.

Rozalia1 said:
And people said Minecraft/Crysis 1 on consoles was impossible, yet they got it on there. Yes yes I know what your response to that already is, but lets not waste time arguing the point as you know what I'm saying.
Crysis 1 is PC exclusive. Crysis 2/3 were released on consoles. Crysis 2 gameplay and control scheme is heavily dumbed down and caused uproar by core fans. Graphics for Crysis 2 was also worse, despite it coming out 4 years later.

Minecraft on consoles.... is shit. Mobile version of minecraft has more functions than console version. heck, recerently mobile version got infinite workd creation, something consoles dont have and are limited to small area to play in.

Oh, and before you jump on "TF2" is on consoles, yes, its at the state of when it was released without updates which makes it less than half the game it is on PC now.

kiri2tsubasa said:
So if you don't have a high end system, then go fuck yourself is what I am getting from that. What an asshole, completely cut out a piece of the PC market. Glad I never invested in this especially since my 760ti is considered a low to lower mid teir card.
760ti is midtier card. it will be able to run this game. it is faster than consoles too.

Neta said:
All reading this article makes me wonder is how much bloatware and sloppy programming went into padding the game so much that it becomes a resource-hungry "game" that most people won't even be able to play without a supercomputer.
well i guess microsoft was rtight - a 5 year old GPU is a supercomputer, hence thier consoles are one too!

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Floppertje said:
How is this 'falling victim'? What happened was they said 'hey guys, we want to make this game, this is what it's going to be like, it's going to look really good and it's going to be pretty heavy on your pc's. give us your money if you want us to make it.'
I guess what I'm really ticked off about is when you drop any of these half-way modern games down to ther lowest settings, they look like UT2004 graphics except a little worse and IT'S STILL CHUGGING SOME on a mid-range PC. What cockery is this?

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Lunar Templar said:
We shall see if they really are crafting something good as they claim, or just spinning bullshit to get money from a group of people that really are short on, seemingly desperate for these kind of games, won't we?
Yes time will tell.

Strazdas said:
Fair enough, you did not go to absolutes and i shouldnt have either. the falsity is still on your side as that argument makes little sense as others have explained.

It is also clear that you do not understand what mark means. And being from europe i do not understand that "USA-Canada thing" your talking about.

You do not do silence, because you are "booing". you are "booing" their decision to release it on PC only.
We will see, but whatever happens I'm in no danger of having egg on my face. I've not guaranteed anything like many have here.

Heel in US, Face in Canada.

Nope, this in no has effected my opinions in regards to the game or the developer. I don't want to see them get put down, or to see them go over.
I'm merely in my own way admiring their fine mic work.

Strazdas said:
Crysis 1 is PC exclusive. Crysis 2/3 were released on consoles. Crysis 2 gameplay and control scheme is heavily dumbed down and caused uproar by core fans. Graphics for Crysis 2 was also worse, despite it coming out 4 years later.

Minecraft on consoles.... is shit. Mobile version of minecraft has more functions than console version. heck, recerently mobile version got infinite workd creation, something consoles dont have and are limited to small area to play in.

Oh, and before you jump on "TF2" is on consoles, yes, its at the state of when it was released without updates which makes it less than half the game it is on PC now.
Incorrect, it isn't PC exclusive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysis

Point stands, no game is "too advanced" to be put on weaker hardware as I've told Charcharo on here before. People can disagree with that but games such as those ones disprove them...oh and lets not go into about how its not the "real" game or any such thing as nobody likes repeat dances.

Wasn't going to, already had 2 examples. Yes, it was either update cost or Microsoft's concern with hard-drive space or something that resulted in that...I forget exactly, didn't really care for it.