Star Citizen's First Person Shooter Module Revealed at PAX Aus

Corralis

Nov 12, 2009
Golan Trevize said:
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Cloud-Imperium-Games-Reviews-E776546.htm

This is a little bit disturbing to be honest.
I have to take the reviews here with a pinch of salt as I assume they are written by people who have been recently fired and they are not going to be positive in any way. That being said, if the things that are written here are true then that is quite disturbing (especially the bit about expensive dinners and luxury sports cars).

misg

Apr 13, 2013
I"m getting rather interested in seeing where this game is going now. I think I'll have to start keeping an eye on it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm interested in seeing where this goes and I hope it can live up to the promises and ambition.

If it does, I'll gladly shell out for it. As of right now, I'll follow the news to a small extent but until it actually releases and we see how everything fits together it's little more then vague hope for me.

I want to see it succeed, but I'm also worried it's more likely it'll crash and burn.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
That looked awkward at best.
The movement just doesn?t look agile, swift and smooth. It?s slow and sluggish. The gun sway is too much and so is the head bobbing.
The collision box of the characters is awfully large as seen when the model of the player passes the box around time code 1:50 by at least 20 cm and it still jumps as the game registers he bumped into it?
The guns lack impact in terms of sound and recoil and there is a severe lack of hit indication.
Also the scene is way too dark and they build up is way too long. They set this up for roughly about 3 minutes and the fire fight is only 1 minute long.

Watching this video made me not excited about this module.
Would like them focusing on the core aspect of their space game instead of blowing the scope of the project beyond their capabilities.
Thus far SC seems to be like a case of too much money for their own good.

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
Jadwick said:
Ajarat said:
I have a feeling people like Jadwick are going to flop as soon as the finished product releases.
Tsk tsk, I've been a backer since the project was at $6,000.

Edit:

Why am I being targeted here? All i did was offer some speculation - it was neither for nor against the game.

To clarify my position;

I wholeheartedly support this game and hope it does well, but it is the prize pony of crowd funding projects right now (largest crowd funded thing ever) and I don't think it is possible for something like this to live up to the hype that people are putting on it. (Like half-life 3.)

If it fumbles, even a little bit - you know there is going to be a shitstorm.
Everywhere i go i see this behavior, someone posts speculation or simply asks a question about SC and suddenly a shitstorm rains upon him for daring to question the holy almighty and sexy Star Citizen :p
Indeed:
Hype is a face in the water.

Ishigami said:
The movement just doesn?t look agile, swift and smooth. It?s slow and sluggish. The gun sway is too much and so is the head bobbing.
It seems all the animations and many models are placeholders, the final game will be mo-capped. Honestly, this is more of a very VERY early proof of concept that imo should have never existed, for you cant talk stuff about it, everything is "in progress" and "it doesnt represent the final product".

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ylla said:
It seems all the animations and many models are placeholders, the final game will be mo-capped. Honestly, this is more of a very VERY early proof of concept that imo should have never existed, for you cant talk stuff about it, everything is "in progress" and "it doesnt represent the final product".
I think this is why I'm not even bothering to watch the videos at this point. It's not even gonna be an alpha for a year so everything we see now probably will be totally different when that point rolls around.

Kind of like how Bioshock: Infinite's E3 videos ended up containing a lot of stuff that didn't show up in the released game, because by the time the next video rolled out they'd changed a bunch of stuff.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Game discussion aside, when will devs understand that over-exaggerated "ultra tactical chat" during multiplayer gameplay demos comes across as a bit desperate? I'm not asking them to joke/clown around, but at least talk and behave like normal people playing and the audience will appreciate it.

Sillarra

I have no idea how I got here.
Aug 14, 2014
Full eyeball animation to detect where we are looking at? How will that translate to controls? I mean, if we are using a mouse to move our heads to look at one direction, then obviously our eyes will follow right? What I'm reading here is that you can do things such as glancing or eye rolling which makes me wonder how they are going to do that.

separate arm and head movements I understand; after all the MechWarrior games had that feature for decades.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Ishigami said:
The collision box of the characters is awfully large as seen when the model of the player passes the box around time code 1:50 by at least 20 cm and it still jumps as the game registers he bumped into it?
The guns lack impact in terms of sound and recoil and there is a severe lack of hit indication.
Also the scene is way too dark and they build up is way too long. They set this up for roughly about 3 minutes and the fire fight is only 1 minute long.

Would like them focusing on the core aspect of their space game instead of blowing the scope of the project beyond their capabilities.
One of the problems I see is the high bullet spread/low accuracy/low damage output of the weapons. When you kneel ,aim and fire it shouldn't be 3/4 of a 30 round magazine to get a kill and aiming while standing shouldn't be 1.5 magazines. 3 rounds and 1/4 magazine for each would make it faster paced and the usage of cover to be important. That creates more strategy in every fight instead of run and gun like in the video. Yes it was run and gun without strategy, they just tried to hide it behind military jargon.

As for a space sim having both flight and groundwork I think it is a better concept than only flying around all the time.

Corralis

Nov 12, 2009
Sillarra said:
Full eyeball animation to detect where we are looking at? How will that translate to controls? I mean, if we are using a mouse to move our heads to look at one direction, then obviously our eyes will follow right? What I'm reading here is that you can do things such as glancing or eye rolling which makes me wonder how they are going to do that.

separate arm and head movements I understand; after all the MechWarrior games had that feature for decades.
TrackIR and Oculus Rift support will handle that I presume.

Corralis

Nov 12, 2009
JET1971 said:
Ishigami said:

One of the problems I see is the high bullet spread/low accuracy/low damage output of the weapons. When you kneel ,aim and fire it shouldn't be 3/4 of a 30 round magazine to get a kill and aiming while standing shouldn't be 1.5 magazines. 3 rounds and 1/4 magazine for each would make it faster paced and the usage of cover to be important. That creates more strategy in every fight instead of run and gun like in the video. Yes it was run and gun without strategy, they just tried to hide it behind military jargon.

As for a space sim having both flight and groundwork I think it is a better concept than only flying around all the time.
Remember that there are no re-spawns in this game, when you die, you die and short of another player dragging your bleeding body out of the combat zone and trying to heal you up you will stay dead. I don't think you want the standard fast paced FPS combat that your used to in Star Citizen. It would be incredibly frustrating to peak round the corner and get 1-shotted by a sniper. I think you need to have a lot of survivability in this game.

While I agree that they were not very coordinated, they were showing a very early version of a game mode that has a whole year until full release, Full Call of Duty games are built in less time than that.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
My main issue is the combat looked sluggish on a gameplay level, not just an animation one.
The gun moved awkwardly, the sway was over exaggerated, and either the guns had ridiculous spread or enemies were overly bullet spongy for how they appeared.
On top of that, the HUD felt cramped, cluttered, and seemed to be just a little bit behind the action. The helmet intruded far too much on the screen. Simple squad UI was figured out back in Republic Commando, which had a "tactical" visor that gave the needed information without cluttering the screen or removing a third of it.
The gun seemed centered on the screen in the Doom style, and the barrel of the gun was not lining up with where bullets were going.
In addition, the zero-g combat seemed incredibly awkward, with the sluggish gunplay being exaggerated by sliding and a difficult movement environment that slid players into walls and corners.
On a non-gameplay related note, the developer wasn't fooling anyone with that dialog. The demo was poorly paced, the commentary was awkward and obviously fake (change to a serpentine formation, Ta-ta-uh-tango down), and the crowd didn't seem into it at the beginning (the one guy yelling "Use the knife", people cheering to "shoot someone").
This demo made me regret them adding an FPS mode, not be excited that I can board ships. I'd rather have a better space sim than the ability to board ships in awkward, unnecessary sections.

Yes, I know it's "pre-alpha" or whatever it's called now. But these are game mechanic issues, barring the HUD. Major changes are needed, not balancing or tweaking numbers. If they're confident enough to demo it, that likely means these major components have been decided on, with limited options to change.
Evolve is currently in Alpha, with bugs being shown as crashing, balancing or matchmaking issues. There are issues, and big ones at that, but the gameplay seems locked down and satisfying. Star Citizen does not appear the same way, and sound or animation changes are unlikely to change that.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
For some reason, I'm thinking of the words Battlecruiser: Millenium.
And it terrifies me..
Hope they're staying on task enough to make this decent. I've held off supporting/pre-ordering Star Citizen for a while now, and I always have mixed feelings about how it's progressing.

Though I will give them some credit; at least they have a schedule with actual dates, unlike some crowd-sourced projects I could mention...

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
"These are game mechanic issues" believe me, EVERYTHING can change during Pre-alpha and it usually does. They shouldn't be showing gameplay of what is what a pre-alpha actually looks like. A pre-alpha is not playable. Its not early access playable. Its not supposed to be playable. Shit, ALPHA isn't even supposed to be super playable or enjoyable.
Yeah, things change in alpha. Hell, things change in beta. But if the dev has a projected release date of 2015, and is confident enough in showing content at a tech demo then I certainly hope that's the path they intend to go on. Hell, even Watch Dogs showed most of its game mechanics during its infamous E3 demo a few years ago, and those got downgraded as development went on.

If it's being shown at a trade show, they'll pretty confident in the product, especially with a release in ~1 year.
If they've already committed enough detail to show a full, elaborate HUD, then they're probably set on the design they're looking for.
If they'll considering adding new features on top of it, they'll probably happy with their "game mechanic" core.

The thing is, the core looks like shit to me. A full redesign takes time, and means lost features, something this dev isn't exactly fond of. A year isn't a huge amount of time. I understand that's my opinion and its subjective, but this sequence seemed like an attempt to make what people want in tactical FPS games, while ignoring what makes them fun, interesting, or work well. And to me, that doesn't bode well for the rest of the game, when they're considering the FPS moments a decent component, integral to boarding and some ship-to-ship interactions.

And for crying out loud, existing space suits have helmets with more visibility than those. Seriously, that HUD makes me angrier the more I see the cramping and dead space.