Star Flight - Star Control - Escape Velocity - Gimme similar games!

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Hey there.
So, I am interested in somewhat modern takes on the classic open-ended space-exploration-resource-gathering games. I grew up with Star Flight and Escape Velocity and I've played all the sequels. I love them dearly. Star Control is excellent as well. So, any similar game (especially with trade and resource-gathering) will be interesting to me. Could you recommend me some?

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I was a huge fan of Escape Velocity and its two sequels, but I've never found something quite like it.

The fan-based project "Naev" is probably the closest you can get. It's incomplete in many ways and development has been going on for years without an end in sight. But on the flip side, it's completely free and you will still get a lot of hours out of it.

Find it here: http://blog.naev.org/

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
How about FTL, isn't it similar? I've never played it, but it seemed to be at least in the ballpark.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Realitycrash said:
Hey there.
So, I am interested in somewhat modern takes on the classic open-ended space-exploration-resource-gathering games. I grew up with Star Flight and Escape Velocity and I've played all the sequels. I love them dearly. Star Control is excellent as well. So, any similar game (especially with trade and resource-gathering) will be interesting to me. Could you recommend me some?
Oh wow, someone remembers Starflight! Greetings, old timer.

Hard to find comparable games nowadays. If you want to recapture your youth though there was a fan-made re-creation of Star Control 2 that was distributed for free online. I believe it was called Rise of or Revenge of the Ur-Quan Masters or something along those lines. It's the exact same game down to the bones.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
BloatedGuppy said:
Realitycrash said:
Hey there.

Hard to find comparable games nowadays. If you want to recapture your youth though there was a fan-made re-creation of Star Control 2 that was distributed for free online. I believe it was called Rise of or Revenge of the Ur-Quan Masters or something along those lines. It's the exact same game down to the bones.
Ur-Quan Masters. It even includes the speech files that the original PC game didn't have, but the 3DO version did.

One of the great loves of my gaming life.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Speaking of Star Control, if you are not yet aware, Stardock is making a NEW Star Control game. They just put a FAQ up on their site:

http://forums.starcontrol.com/463278

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Here is the promised Edit;

<link=http://crunchyleafgames.itch.io/3030-deathwar>3030 Deathwar - " 3030 Deathwar is an Open World 2D Space RPG

Similar to games like Escape Velocity Nova and Elite/Privateer, the game features Open World exploration, boarding stations and derelicts, many diverse NPCs, tons of missions and an exciting plot! The new version adds higher resolution, massive balance and gameplay changes, a smoother tutorial and many other improvements!

You play John Falcon, a rogueish space adventurer, down on his luck, who gets involved in uncovering a huge conspiracy that will determine the future of mankind.

* Open world space exploration
* Board and walk on space stations
* Large variety of missions
* Different ships and classes to fly
* Upgrades to equip to your ship
* Buy weapons, missiles and data discs
* Goods to trade between systems
* Board, loot, mine Asteroids and Derelicts
* Find hidden wormholes and other secrets
* Intriguing main plot line
* And much, much more"

<link=http://www.soldak.com/Drox-Operative/Overview.html>Drox Operative - "Drox Operative is a starship action RPG with warring alien races, fierce space battles, a dynamic, evolving galaxy, and co-op multiplayer for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Explore a dynamic and evolving galaxy
Explore a unique sector of the galaxy in every game, with different "monsters", ship components, quests, and even races
Fight in the galactic war between the various alien races
Battle hundreds of different enemy starships
Build the coolest and deadliest starship in the galaxy
Outfit your ship with thousands of components and crew
Adventure with your friends with co-op multiplayer"

<link=http://www.cornutopia.co.uk/lif/games.php>Flatspace 1&2 - "Choose your character from Human Trader, Mercenary, Bounty Hunter, Assassin, Police Officer, Scavenger or Scarrid Warrior, Abductor, Predator, Nomad, and expore a universe that is larger and filled with more ships and secrets to discover than ever before. "

<link=http://www.nielsbauergames.com/smugglers5.html>Smugglers 3&4&5 - "The galaxy is at war - the Federation, the Coalition, the Outer Rim systems and the criminal Syndicate battle for control. It's a dangerous life for a pilot on the front lines, but it can also be a lucrative one - are you an honest trader, or does smuggling illegal goods sound more profitable? Will you join the war effort for your faction, set up your own empire or simply explore the galaxy?

The fifth instalment in the long-running Smugglers series features a completely revised turn-based combat system and a range of new ships to fly, as well as a host of exciting features."

<link=http://minmax-games.com/SpacePiratesAndZombies/index.php>Space Pirates & Zombies 1&2 - "SPAZ 2 is about survival, salvage, and ship construction. Explore a living galaxy, claim territory, fight to protect it, and create your perfect mothership on the fly using parts salvaged from enemy wrecks.

Two hundred persistent Captains that are able to do everything the player can, including forming dynamic factions, building structures, controlling territory, and going to War.

A true living galaxy that is not player centric. It will develop differently each game through the interactions of the agents.

Time based galactic story events that happen whether the player is ready or not. These events add new threats and tools to deal with them. The Galaxy will need to find a new natural equilibrium each time a new disaster is unleashed."

Transcendence - "In Transcendence you are thrust into the middle of a vast galaxy teeming with clashing empires, expansionist AIs, and fearsome xenophobes. You must navigate them all to reach the Galactic Core.

You'll need a ship powerful enough to take you to St. Katherine's Star, through the Ungoverned Territories and the Outer Realm?all the way to the edge of Human Space.

Adapt your strategy to survive the journey through dozens of randomly generated star systems. Take advantage of scavenged weapons and devices. No two games are ever alike, so adaptation equals survival."

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Don Incognito said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Realitycrash said:
Hey there.

Ur-Quan Masters. It even includes the speech files that the original PC game didn't have, but the 3DO version did.

One of the great loves of my gaming life.
I've already got it. Honestly, my problem with the game has always been the time-limit. Read yesterday that there exists a mod to greatly lengthen it, though.

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
My own favorites are Starflight for the scope, Transcendence for something quick and dirty, Escape Velocity Nova for the branching stories and Freelancer for the fighting, if I may include that one.

Instead of editing my edit above, I decided on a new post since this one is more about my own tastes.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
If I ever got a team, I've always wanted to make two games. The second game was a mix of a bunch of these games...

FTL's ship combat. with each crew-member having a specialty and stats based on randomization, race, obsession, and Profession.
X-com style combat for landing on enemy space stations or colonies. (Think taking out a pirate base on a barely habitable moon.)[footnote]This can also be done if you decide to board an enemy ship by docking. None of that teleporter shit. Depending on how much damage has been sustained, and the condition of the enemy life support, this can either be a difficult battle, or just make you feel bad as you end the lives of dying enemy crew.[/footnote]
Starflight's planetary landing and mining. (Because shut up I downed MONTHS of playtime on that thing.)
Star Control's navigation and communicating with alien ships. (SC2, not 1. Jesus not 1.)

But I'm only a programmer and a writer, and a bad programmer too. So my idea may never be realized.
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Here is the promised Edit;[...]
We need a kudos system on the forums, STAT.

Thank youuu~ very much for this list. I was a bit down with SPAZ1, but I'll have to looksee the rest of the list you posted. ^.^

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
BeerTent said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Here is the promised Edit;[...]
We need a kudos system on the forums, STAT.

Thank youuu~ very much for this list. I was a bit down with SPAZ1, but I'll have to looksee the rest of the list you posted. ^.^
No problem at all, I love these kinds of games..Done right that is ,)

I would recommend you start with Transcendence because of the do-or-die single life playstyle.
That way you can relax with some guaranteed fun between checking out the others. ^^