Star Fox 64 3D Review

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Star Fox 64 3D Review

A brilliant remake, Star Fox 64 3D sports all the fun and fast-paced action of the original with an excellent visual redesign and only a few minor drawbacks.

Read Full Article

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
If Nintendo has done anything right with the 3DS, it's this; bringing back Star Fox 64. That game deserves a HELL of a lot more attention than it gets.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
If Nintendo has done anything right with the 3DS, it's this; bringing back Star Fox 64. That game deserves a HELL of a lot more attention than it gets.
Amen to that...

I played it A LOT and I can tell they worked hard on the game without changing to much from the past game on the N64. I hope the games sucess will only help open the door for new games in the series. And I mean New "NEW" games in the series not just 3D or Wii Versions of the titles years ago, however I wouldn't mind seeing a Adventures 3DS version but I prefer to not talk about Command >.>.

Also I didn't know the BOSSes in StarFox64 had names... Intresting ^_^

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
WMDogma said:
Nothing was more satisfying then taking revenge against Slippy by firing a well-aimed bomb right into his stupid face
Edited for ironic, spiteful humor.

I fucking loved Starfox 64, and this remake is a beautiful tribute.
The "hard mode" where Fox puts on his dad's sunglasses is also incredibly difficult, and very satisfying to complete.
I am missing a handful of medals here and there, but will soon have them >=D

I agree, the multiplayer is sorely lacking in the multiplayer department, but Nintendo has always been shitty in the online multiplayer department =/
I tried the gyro controls for a little bit at first, but turned them off because they hampered my barrel rolling abilities.

The only problem I have with the game, is the voice actors of everyone, is not the same =/
It ruins the nostalgia effect to have "DO A BARREL ROLL!" in a different voice =(

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
V8 Ninja said:
Too true. I keep my N64 out next to my TV solely to play it when the mood strikes me. It holds up amazingly well even after all these years.

It's the main thing pushing me to want to get a 3DS.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Daaaaaaaaaaamn that looks amazing... Relatively, of course. The original game was a bit ugly, even for its time.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
My brother got this and has been playing it incessantly for days on end. If I had a 3DS, I'd buy this to go with it based on his recommendation alone; alas, I'm not willing to fork out for the 3DS, not in this or any reality.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
My only problem is that Star Fox is, and always has been, only one game.

Play a bit of the SNES version then try the n64 installment. I loved them both, for their times, but it was simply a copy/paste job in level design and plot. I was shocked that the first levels were *exactly the same*.

Now they re-released it for 3DS, and the only addition is letting you play missions by themselves. Erm... is that really what we want to let companies do nowadays? Just remake games with a shinier package and charge full market price for them? :/

The game is probably good, like the previous installments, but they're all the same game, and that irks the shit out of me.

MrPatience

Mar 25, 2009
Torrasque said:
I fucking loved Starfox 64, and this remake is a beautiful tribute.
The "hard mode" where Fox puts on his dad's sunglasses is also incredibly difficult, and very satisfying to complete.
I am missing a handful of medals here and there, but will soon have them >=D

I agree, the multiplayer is sorely lacking in the multiplayer department, but Nintendo has always been shitty in the online multiplayer department =/
I tried the gyro controls for a little bit at first, but turned them off because they hampered my barrel rolling abilities.

The only problem I have with the game, is the voice actors of everyone, is not the same =/
It ruins the nostalgia effect to have "DO A BARREL ROLL!" in a different voice =(

I'm glad someone else has commented on the voices. I always considered Starfox 64 (Lylatwars, in my neck of the woods) to be a diamond in the rough as far as voice acting was concerned, and seems to be the one thing that Nintendo saw fit to ruin. Why bother re-rocording every line of dialogue in the game, with different voice actors, for an ultimately substandard result? You don't fix what isn't broken, and I'm trying to think of an appropriate similie to insert here and having no luck. Weird.

My only real beef with the game, though. 4/5 smart bombs.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Is the author aware that "Star Fox" was an SNES title before "Star Fox 64" was made?

There were a few sections of the review that his mentions of "the original Star Fox 64" made it seem like he was calling Star Fox 64 the original Star Fox game, not just the original version that this remake was based off of.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
AuronFtw said:
My only problem is that Star Fox is, and always has been, only one game.

Play a bit of the SNES version then try the n64 installment. I loved them both, for their times, but it was simply a copy/paste job in level design and plot. I was shocked that the first levels were *exactly the same*.

Now they re-released it for 3DS, and the only addition is letting you play missions by themselves. Erm... is that really what we want to let companies do nowadays? Just remake games with a shinier package and charge full market price for them? :/

The game is probably good, like the previous installments, but they're all the same game, and that irks the shit out of me.
You didn't play star fox adventures? That game was AMAZING.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Figures it would be a solid game, Star Fox 64 was always a lot of fun. Nintendo can forget it for $40 though. Maybe if I can get it cheap some day, sure. Otherwise I'll just play my Virtual Console version on the Wii.

...In fact, I think I might just do that right now.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I didn't think I was going to get this one again until I read this review, now I may have to get it. I'll ask for it for Christmas.

It was one of my favorite games as a kid.

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
Torrasque said:
WMDogma said:
Nothing was more satisfying then taking revenge against Slippy by firing a well-aimed bomb right into his stupid face
Edited for ironic, spiteful humor.
I agree to your editing. When I think about firing a well-aimed bomb into someone's smug (and incredibly sarcastic) face I immediately think of Falco.

"Gee, I've been saved by Fox. How swell."
"I guess I should be thankful."
"You worry about your own hide."

and of course,
"Hey, Einstein! I'm on your side!"

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
fare777 said:
You didn't play star fox adventures? That game was AMAZING.
It depends on the person, I thought it was quite meh. I don't think I got through more than just some of the stuff near the beginning after landing on the first planet. Then came the Arwing battle in the skies and I had to stay on the ground and try and help out with my stick. I really didn't like the RPG style of play that the game was mostly made up of(from what I have heard form other people that played it). When I picked up the game, I didn't have a source of game reviews to know what the game was like. I picked up the game because it has Star Fox in the title, and when I think of Star Fox, I think straight space shooter. Then when I got to get off the ground and in an Arwing, it controlled like a flying clod of dirt, and didn't operate well with the planet environment.

Now Star Fox Assault, that was a good Star Fox game, granted it wasn't as great as Star Fox 64(I must have played and beat SF64 like 200 or more times back then), but it gave me the fix I needed of proper Arwing space shooting, perfect Arwing planet-side flying, and the times that I was on foot worked well because I actually got to have a blaster gun and a rocket launcher of sorts, instead of that silly stick from Adventures. Though I wished that they hadn't made Peppy too old to fly in battle, because they replaced him with that ditz Krystal, from Star Fox Adventures, and she was actually more annoying than Slippy was in Star Fox 64.