Star Fox 64 - Do a Barrel Roll!

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Fox 64 - Do a Barrel Roll!

One of the N64's most beloved classics, Star Fox 64 remains an excellent and enjoyable space action title.

Read Full Article

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Heh. Funny to see this review. Was cleaning out my old bedroom at my mother's place so my nephew could use it when staying the night when I found a copy of this very game. That was like a week or two ago? Took it home, popped it in my N64, and had a blast. You're right, Star Fox 64 has indeed aged quite well.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Man after my heart!

Starfox 64 was the game that got nine year old me truly into gaming. Still got my N64 and this game, about every eighteen months it calls to me.

I can't help but feel it was a bit of a genre killer though. There were other rail shooters like Omega Boost and Space Debris, but none quite as good as this one. Even Nintendo don't seem to know where to go next, with Assault and Command not quite measuring up and Starfox Wii U (StarfUx?) seemingly being consigned to controller gimmick Hell.

I'd love a proper sequel to this, but I doubt a major publisher would fund something so short and tightly focused nowadays.

Oh well, to Area 6!

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Barrel rolls are not nearly as effective in real life as portrayed in this video game. I know from experience.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Probably my favourite N64 game. Even now the voice lines stick with me.

Always live life the way you use bombs.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Essentially, Star Fox is a game about a government hiring mercenaries to fight terrorists. If it were owned by any other company, a gritty reboot would have already happened.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
09philj said:
Essentially, Star Fox is a game about a government hiring mercenaries to fight terrorists. If it were owned by any other company, a gritty reboot would have already happened.
Technically there already was a pretty dark and gritty Star Fox game, the original for the SNES.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
09philj said:
And it's furry.