Star Trek 3 May Be Fast and Furious In Space

harpere

May 20, 2014
Star Trek 3 May Be Fast and Furious In Space

Does the Star Trek 3 director announcement mean we'll be getting Fast and Furious in space? We could be okay with that.

Since the announcement that Jonathan Frakes threw his hat in the ring [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138909-Roberto-Orci-No-Longer-Directing-Star-Trek-3], but it seemed like a long shot with Paramount rumored to be courting names like Edgar Wright.

And it looks like the long shot hasn't won out (though we are, unfortunately, still not going to see Edgar Wright's take on the franchise) as Fast & Furious director Lin [http://deadline.com/2014/12/star-trek-3-justin-lin-director-fast-furious-helmer-1201333753/] -- who directed Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift, Fast & Furious, Fast Five, and Fast & Furious 6 -- has the action chops to make Star Trek the high-octane action series Paramount clearly wants it to be.

Sorry, Riker. We had our fingers crossed for you.

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2014/12/star-trek-3-justin-lin-director-fast-furious-helmer-1201333753/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Excuse me, I've got to go repeatedly pound my head against a wall. When can we get Star Trek to feel like Star Trek again instead of feeling like everything BUT Star Trek?

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Excuse me, I've got to go repeatedly pound my head against a wall. When can we get Star Trek to feel like Star Trek again instead of feeling like everything BUT Star Trek?
When you wish upon a dragon ball.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
It's like Paramount want their Star Trek movies to underperform.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Somethingfake said:
canadamus_prime said:
If I could get the Dragon Balls and summon Shenron I'd wish for every Star Trek movie after Nemesis to have never existed.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
So Its likely with this news that I will turn this ST movie off even faster than I did the Second one. If I even bother to try to watch it at all.

canadamus_prime said:
Somethingfake said:
canadamus_prime said:
If I could get the Dragon Balls and summon Shenron I'd wish for every Star Trek movie after Nemesis to have never existed.
Change that statement from Nemesis to First Contact and I can hook you up with a guy who will you sell wishes for the small price of your soul.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
oh great. never liked the fast movies since i dont give a damn about cards, and now this guy should be directing star trek? i highly doubt we will have enough diplomatic speeches and intellectual discussions.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
You know, I can only think of one worse choice and he's busy making terrible Transformers and Ninja Turtles movies.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Yeah, let's not give it to the guy with loads of experience with the franchise and ask him to "spice it up some"; let's hand it over to someone best known for an utterly different genre.

I almost feel like we're trading lens flares for "space drifting".

Somethingfake said:
canadamus_prime said:
Siiiiigh... I guess I'll go call up my short bald friend and that psycho inventor girl.

Flunk said:
You know, I can only think of one worse choice and he's busy making terrible Transformers and Ninja Turtles movies.
Did you forget that Uwe Boll exists?

Because if so, I envy you.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Fast & Furious? That's a big NOPE from me that will give me no interest in this movie whatsoever.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Of all the directors, the talented people who have worked with and loved the franchise over the years, did you get the guy who directs the single most generic action movie series on the planet?

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I really liked the new Star Trek movies... I wasn't aware that people wanted less talking in them. Like, what?

Dec 10, 2012
It's as if they are trying their hardest to make these movies as repellant as possible to Trek fans. This just went from a 1 to a none on my interest scale.

In truth, part of me is actually relieved that Frakes won't be involved. Even he could never save this travesty of a timeline, and at least he won't have to take any blame when this inevitably misses the point by about fifty parsecs.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
TheVampwizimp said:
It's as if they are trying their hardest to make these movies as repellant as possible to Trek fans. This just went from a 1 to a none on my interest scale.

In truth, part of me is actually relieved that Frakes won't be involved. Even he could never save this travesty of a timeline, and at least he won't have to take any blame when this inevitably misses the point by about fifty parsecs.
The makers, stars, and new fans have made it clear the nerd fanbase that made them so popular and last so long to begin with aren't welcome in the "cool star trek universe"

Same thing's started to happen with Star Wars.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Well, fuck it. I've got my TV serieseseses and you can't take them away from me!

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
TBH I don?t have too many quarrels with the first one. The second one is a different story though?
Anyway I think that?s not pointing in the right direction for me. Considering that my taste in movies seems to not align very well with box-office sales I deduct that this one is going to be a hit? wait what?
I want Star Trek movies of the quality that was The Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country or Frist Contact, you know something that has some action but is also bit meaningful (or pretentious depending on your view). Apparently that?s too much to ask.
But who knows maybe Mr. Lin is one talented son of a ***** and just waited for an opportunity to break away from his action stick and will blow us away? ? Whom am I kidding?