Star Trek 3 May Be Fast and Furious In Space

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
That's certainly not someone who ever entered my mind as someone to direct Star Trek.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Well, atleast we won't figure out the big plot twist months before production begins. So they won't tell us repeatedly that "no guys it's totally not it!", then make that the twist, because mystery box reasons.

Ark of the Covetor

Jul 10, 2014
TheMightyMeekling said:
I have never seen a single episode of Star Trek, but shouldn't a Star Trek movie be kinda, you know, LIKE STAR TREK?
Naw brah, cuz liek Dork Trek is totes liek all diplomasnore an' moraliturds lulz. NuTrek is AWESUM!!!1 *guitar solo* for liek propa bros yeah? PEW-PEW-PEW IMMA FIRIN MAH PHAZORZ! lulz

Seriously though, there was some vague glimmer of hope that now JJ "fuck your childhood" Abrams had waddled off to cop a squat over Star Wars, NuTrek(formerly known as JJTrek, and "wtf is this shite and why did I pay £7 to see it?!") would be able to at least rise to the level of a Generations(which was pretty blegh but not as bad as some claimed) or a Final Frontier; instead it seems we're not even getting a Nemesis.

I look forward to seeing the Enterprise "drifting" around a small moon being chased by a ridiculously over-designed alien ship piloted by a being that just happens to resemble a crude latino stereotype...*shudder*

Darxide

Dec 14, 2009
And why not? They've already destroyed the franchise with these terrible reboots, so who cares anymore?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
thinking about it more, i actually wait until JJ is back. doesnt matter if it takes 5 years or more. at least he made a good mix between action and diplomacy.

Aug 12, 2013
Metalrocks said:
thinking about it more, i actually wait until JJ is back. doesnt matter if it takes 5 years or more. at least he made a good mix between action and diplomacy.
At least when I watched the Fast & Furious films that Lin directed I can understand wtf is going on in the action scenes, unlike Abrams who in action scenes is a very bad Micheal Bay wanna-be.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Adzma said:
It's like Paramount want their Star Trek movies to underperform.

You do know that the reboot films have performed far better financially than the originals and even if you take inflation into account 'Into Darkness' crushed 'Wrath of Khan' and 'First Contact'.

People have to realise that the 10 original Star Trek films were not blockbusters and to barely break even is no longer acceptable in the modern film landscape.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
What do you mean "may" be? Abrams turned Star Trek into Fast and Furious from the get-go, in a vain attempt to turn it into Top Gun.

I hereby propose a swap: Michael Bay should bring his military-drama boner "experience" to Star Trek, and Abrams should take his ridiculous lens flare and fetish "enthusiasm" for hardware/gadgetry to Transformers.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Excuse me, I've got to go repeatedly pound my head against a wall. When can we get Star Trek to feel like Star Trek again instead of feeling like everything BUT Star Trek?
When we get another Star Trek TV series.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Gordon_4 said:
......I'm going to watch the Next Gen episode Darmok, just to spite this rumour.
You just chose my reaction for me,thanks!

'Shaka, when the walls fell'

*shakes head*

Edgard Wright or Frakes would have been fantastic, but I'm really not terribly enthused with this guy being chosen.

Not to say he wouldn't be able to pull of action and great visuals,but Star Trek is about characters too, and well....
Yeah, FF isn't exactly Shakespeare, is it?

If anyone needs me I'll be swimming to Tenagra...

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
"The Next Star Trek may be Fast and Furious in space!"

You know, as opposed to Actual Star Trek.
-______-;

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Ark of the Covetor said:
Naw brah, cuz liek Dork Trek is totes liek all diplomasnore an' moraliturds lulz. NuTrek is AWESUM!!!1 *guitar solo* for liek propa bros yeah? PEW-PEW-PEW IMMA FIRIN MAH PHAZORZ! lulz
Having recently rewatched the entire run of Star Trek I'd say something like 80-90% of the episodes are utterly forgettable boring dross. Funnier were the episodes without a consistent moral stance or that undermined the moral stance of a previous episode.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
Well that's one way to take a huge dump over three generations worth of cult classics. Are they even trying? Or are they purposefully destroying the entire franchise?

Actually, that's probably it. Some passive aggressive sport jocks wintered over from the 70s are finally getting their revenge on Trek. And making millions by shoving this trite shit down an unsuspecting new generation's throats.

I'm not happy about what's happened to Star Trek; I never imagined it would be worse than what happened to Star Wars. But here we are.

P-89 Scorpion said:
You do know that the reboot films have performed far better financially than the originals and even if you take inflation into account 'Into Darkness' crushed 'Wrath of Khan' and 'First Contact'.

People have to realise that the 10 original Star Trek films were not blockbusters and to barely break even is no longer acceptable in the modern film landscape.
Yes, true, and Star Wars Episode 1 beat Ep 4-6 together by double or so. No solace there, at least not for me. I don't think that's really a valid comparison though, since the later films where only blockbusters because of the legacy of the previous ones. More interesting is whether they performed to expectations; I can imagine Paramount expected even more out of Trek, although that's speculation on my part.

008Zulu said:
We can take solace that this is alternateverse Trek, and not canon Trek.
There is that. I was really annoyed that the new stuff was in a YAAR (yet another alternate reality), but now I've come to be grateful for it.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
raankh said:
Yes, true, and Star Wars Episode 1 beat Ep 4-6 together by double or so. No solace there, at least not for me. I don't think that's really a valid comparison though, since the later films where only blockbusters because of the legacy of the previous ones. More interesting is whether they performed to expectations; I can imagine Paramount expected even more out of Trek, although that's speculation on my part.
Actually the original trilogy made way more (several hundred million dollars more) than the prequel trilogy when the numbers are adjusted for inflation (and curb stomp all trek).

If you don't adjust the numbers for inflation 'Return of the Jedi' in 1983 dollars made more than any except 'Into Darkness' world wide and in USA only Empire is the only one to be beat by both reboot trek's.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Unless it involves a dimension-hopping-time-traveling Tasha Yar battling the USS-Steve Jobs' Enterprise, I'm not sold.

canadamus_prime said:
Excuse me, I've got to go repeatedly pound my head against a wall. When can we get Star Trek to feel like Star Trek again instead of feeling like everything BUT Star Trek?
Mate, Star Trek is dead. Has been for over a decade.
It never actually came back; it's just that someone re-purposed its corpse to make easy money.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Taking the films further and further into the action-spectacle direction makes the prospects of a TV revival worse and worse. No TV series could possibly hope to please the new fans of the current film franchise. The movies may draw in a larger audience, but the huge numbers of that demographic will only shrink with time without endearing a new generation of fans.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
canadamus_prime said:
Mate, Star Trek is dead. Has been for over a decade.
It never actually came back; it's just that someone re-purposed its corpse to make easy money.
I don't know if it's been dead for over a decade, but it's certainly been dead for quite some time. Since 2009 at least.