Star Trek Beyond Schedules Addition Shooting, Adds Cast Member

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Star Trek Beyond Schedules Addition Shooting, Adds Cast Member

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1296/1296615.jpg

Star Trek Beyond adds Shohreh Aghdashloo to cast in time for reshoots.

Its relatively common place for movies to do extra shooting after the bulk of filming is done, but it is rare that a new high-profile cast member is added. Such is the case with Star Trek Beyond and the addition of The Expanse star Shohreh Aghdashloo.

Deadline is reporting [http://deadline.com/2016/03/shohreh-aghdashloo-star-trek-beyond-paramount-1201718696/] that Aghdashloo, who won an Emmy in 2009 for House of Saddam and was nominated for an Oscar in House of Sand and Fog in 2003, will play the role of "the High Command of the Federation." The cast is being reassembled for some reshoots, with Aghdashloo supposedly being in many of the shots.

Fans of the Mass Effect video games should know her voice, as she played the role of Admiral Shala'Raan vas Tonbay in ME2 and ME3. She also had a brief role in X-Men: Last Stand as Dr. Kavita Rao, who working on a mutant "cure" and met a rather pointed demise.

Star Trek Beyond, which is scheduled to be released on July 22, brings back Chris Pine as Captain Kirk, Zachary Quinto and Spock and Simon Pegg as Scotty, among others. Idris Elba is also joining the cast this time as the primary villain. The film is being directed by Fast and Furious 6 director Justin Lin.

Here's hoping that Aghdashloo adds a bit of class to the film after the initial trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165470-Star-Trek-Beyond-Gets-First-Trailer-With-Enterprise-Destroyed] tended to have fans questioning what was going on with the new film.

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2016/03/shohreh-aghdashloo-star-trek-beyond-paramount-1201718696/]

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
This reeks of desperation. They know the movie has lost its in-built audience, and are likely trying to bank on The Expanse being a critical hit with that same audience to try and get us to see their movie we all know is going to be at best passably bland in the best possible case scenario.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'd say I have a bad feeling about this, but it's the wrong franchise.

I'd say it doesn't bode well, but that trailer lowered my expectations below what I believed possible.

Or beyond belief.

See what I did there?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Zontar said:
This reeks of desperation. They know the movie has lost its in-built audience, and are likely trying to bank on The Expanse being a critical hit with that same audience to try and get us to see their movie we all know is going to be at best passably bland in the best possible case scenario.
Would The Expanse's audience really fit in with Star Trek's audience? I haven't seen the TV series, but assuming it's anything like the books, about the only thing they have in common is that they take place in the future with space ships.

Anyway, I'm not too worried. I liked both previous Star Trek movies, and while I did do a double take in the trailer, I'm counting on the movie to at least be enjoyable. Which is more than I can say for some of the pre-Abrams movies.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Hawki said:
Would The Expanse's audience really fit in with Star Trek's audience? I haven't seen the TV series, but assuming it's anything like the books, about the only thing they have in common is that they take place in the future with space ships.
Well I know I'm a Trek fan who quite enjoyed The Expanse. The show was more dramatic and less light hearted then the first book, but it kept the hard science and exploration of ideas and of the possible future of humanity with fantastic world building (the first season was Leviathan Wakes up to their leaving Ceres with The Butcher of Anderson Station added into the mix). While it certainly isn't the optimistic future Trek painted, I know a lot of Trek fans other then myself seemed to enjoy it.

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
I hope it is good, it really does not look like it will be.

I want new good trek. Why can't we have nice things.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
That doesn't bode well for this movie. Oh well, I enjoy dumb action movies anyway.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Hawki said:
The trouble is that for many people, being in the future with spaceships means that they are essentially the same thing. While things have improved, to the majority of people anything with spaceships is Star WarsTrek and anything with elves is D&D, and neither of them are worth reading/watching/playing/whatever. I have no idea what The Expanse is, but film studio executives almost certainly believe it has exactly the same audience as Trek.