Star Trek - Bridge Crew VR Game Announced

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Star Trek - Bridge Crew VR Game Announced

We're one step closer to the holodeck being a real thing...

At Ubisoft's E3 press conference today, the publisher dropped a rather big surprise on its fanbase - a massive, full-scale Star Trek VR game, called Star Trek - Bridge Crew. Levar Burton, AKA Star Trek's Gordi, came on stage to talk a bit about the game, telling us that this is the real deal, and is easily the most immersive game he has played.

The game is a full VR experience, and is built to be completely co-op - you'll need to bring a full team of friends along to be able to pilot the enterprise. Each player will take a "role" on the bridge, such as engineer or captain, and have to work together to complete missions.

This is truly the game that hard-core Star Trek fans have been waiting for, as it essentially lets you be on the enterprise. It's coming in Fall, 2016 to "all major VR platforms," so we can assume the Rift and the Vive, and possibly even PS VR.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
"Gordi [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geordi_La_Forge]"? Come on now. The hero of Reading Rainbow deserves better than that.

Interesting premise; we'll see if it lives up to the hype.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Only requires 4 headsets... I don't see this being all that accessible until VR is more common place.

Also, can someone answer this for me; What does the VR headsets/controllers achieve that you can't do with a screen, mouse and keyboard outside of the immersion part?

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
chozo_hybrid said:
Only requires 4 headsets... I don't see this being all that accessible until VR is more common place.

Also, can someone answer this for me; What does the VR headsets/controllers achieve that you can't do with a screen, mouse and keyboard outside of the immersion part?
Nothing, although I would disagree if you are suggesting that part is minor.

And yeah, the 4 headset thing is a bit much, but it's not like online multiplayer isn't a thing. If the game is any good, there'll be people playing it.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
So ... this is basically Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator [http://store.steampowered.com/app/247350/], but with VR and using the Star Trek IP without a need for mods?

I guess for those with the VR means, that's something. Me, I'd rather use my PC, but, I get vertigo from playing a game in first person, never mind using VR.

I know the people I used to play Artemis with installed a "Star Trek sounds" mod as soon as someone made one, which was basically immediately. So it's not like there isn't a market for this sort of thing. It just remains to be seen if it can work in the VR market space/niche.

Trebort

Duke of Cheesecake
Feb 25, 2010
It doesn't sound that great.

VR isn't accessible as it needs to be yet for this type of game to succeed. On a personal note though, the story sounds bloody dire. I hate the JJ verse and everything about his movies. I'd have preferred it to be set in the prime canon universe, I feel it could have done more there story wise.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Who the hell is Gordi?

This is interesting, hopefully they took some ideas from the old game Bridge Commander when they made this.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Okay... good luck with that.

I would buy into it as some sort of Bridge Commander BUT Co-Op only? Nope.
Hey I get the concept and it sounds very fun.
But you need 4 people with a VR Set that like Star Trek and have time for a meaningful session. I don't see this to be a very likely constellation for many people certainly not for me.

Jadwick

Jan 4, 2013
persephone said:
So ... this is basically Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator [http://store.steampowered.com/app/247350/], but with VR and using the Star Trek IP without a need for mods?
I came here to mention this.

But, you are telling me that instead of paying $40, 3 of my friends and I could instead build monster VR gaming PC's and get $500 VR headsets and then each buy this game instead?

WHAT A DEAL!

Edit: Oh man, with this VR headset I can SEE my friends at their consoles doing their jobs! Instead of you know, just actually using my eyes and seeing my friends at their consoles doing their jobs.

*facepalm*

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Jadak said:
chozo_hybrid said:

Nothing, although I would disagree if you are suggesting that part is minor.

And yeah, the 4 headset thing is a bit much, but it's not like online multiplayer isn't a thing. If the game is any good, there'll be people playing it.
Oh no, I wasn't suggesting it was minor, it's more that some people will miss out on this due to the headsets being expensive, would be nice if there was a non-vr option, but that would also possibly result in a lack of headset sales if games did that. So I understand why.