Star Trek Fans, what did you think of Stargate?

Randoman01

Apr 19, 2013
So to the people who love Star Trek I would like to know what did you think of the TV series Stargate when it came out? Did you like it, hate it? What was your thoughts on it?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I never really got into it, but the movie was kinda boring, the impression I got from the tv-series was that it was very light on scifi, and more adventure stuff.

I did like the first season of Stargate Atlantis because it had Rodney McKay and he was great.
After they got the communication to Earth working it became less interesting and at some point I stopped.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Kinda easy really, I watched the original Stargate movie and thought, hmm interesting and left it at that. Then the TV series started. I can't put my finger one it but at some point it became my favourite, it had some of the Star Trek stuff but being set in modern times rather than 400 years in the future seemed to make it better.

I liked Star Trek TNG, Voyager and DS9 but I only ever watched them on TV I actually went on to buy ALL the Stargates on DVD. Okay that had more to do with BBC2 showing all the Star Treks at fixed and scheduled times where as after Season 5 of Stargate C4 kinda got a bit hit and miss with it's Stargate scheduling.

The real indicator though is that I wasn't really sad when any of the Star Treks ended, oh I am sad what JJ Abrhams has done to the franchise but SGA and SGU getting cancelled and then not getting the tie up movies for SG1 and SGA well that still annoys me to this day and seeing that Emmerich now wants to take a steaming cr*p on the whole franchise by resequelling (that's a sequel that reboots) the franchise with some new movies.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Started out liking it, but later series went downhill.

One thing I didn't like about ST is that, whatever the situation, the same 4 or 5 important people get sent into it, equipped with their regular uniforms and comm badges, with maybe a hand phaser and tricorder.

In Stargate, the same heavily equipped special forces team gets sent by their commander.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Started out liking it, but later series went downhill.
One thing I didn't like about ST is that, whatever the situation, the same 4 or 5 important people get sent into it, equipped with their regular uniforms and comm badges, with maybe a hand phaser and tricorder.
clearly the futures so great they don't neet HAZMAT suits or gas masks....or anything warmer than a skivvie

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Seems like an odd question, as if Star Trek fans can't be fans of another sci-fi series. :p

When it "came out" it was a movie. Movie was okay. :p

I liked SG-1 a lot. It blended humor, action (with liberal use of the p90 PDW, one of my favorite weapons), and a sense of wonderment. It had it's ups and downs, but generally remained watchable even when what I call the "fargate" era happened when Ben Browder, and Claudia Black joined up, I imagine because of the "fargate" comic series.

I didn't much like Atlantis, or Universe though. The formula seemed to change a bit too much. Or maybe the cast didn't resonate well with me. Then again, stacking up to Richard Dean Anderson is a tall order.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
I thought it was rather boring, substituting the science and philosophy of Trek with military dilemmas and character stories. There wasn't much to think about except the characters saving their own ass, much like Farscape (which I liked more than Stargate). All of that is a recipe for failure in my TV entertainment cookbook - which, admittedly, is a small and incomplete edition.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I love them both to death, but I consider Star Trek's existence to be... necessary. It needed to exist more or less for there to be a basis of the sci-fi genre. Stargate is more of a science fiction achievement, because so few shows ever get to 10 seasons alone, or get 7 more seasons in spinoffs series, or two extra movies.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I didn't get to watch TOS when it first aired, or I would have been able to enjoy it without it feeling "stale".
Big fan of VOY,TNG and ENT. Not so much DS9.
The new movies are...ok..

Saw the Stargate movie when it came out, thought it was pretty good, but didn't elaborate enough.
Then came SG-1..Whoah..I don'know how many times I've watched that series.
More than 20 times most likely, maybe more than 40 even. Huge fan until "Fargate" as another poster named it.
Still good, but not as good. Even though Farscape was also quite good, in it's own way.
Like Stargate Atlantis very much. Solid all the way through.

Please don't mention SG Universe in my presence, there was no such show.. ,)

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
I liked SG a lot but there's just so dad-blasted much of it. Getting through all seventeen combined seasons is a grueling achievement. Same can be said of Trek, though, especially the not-very-good shows (I'm looking at you, Voyager).

I usually watch this kind of show while painting miniatures or drafting scenarios/characters for tabletop, meaning the show itself only gets about half my attention. This is generally enough for shoot-the-bad-guys types of shows.

Netflix needs to get SG back.

ryessknight

May 30, 2013
I couldnt really get into the stargate movie, i just find it boring and slow. I kinda liked the stargate series where they were trapped on a alien ship though,that one was intresting,but otherwise i could never get into the series.