Star Trek Hypospray Now Real

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Star Trek Hypospray Now Real

Painful injections may be a thing of the past, thanks to a high-tech alternative to the humble syringe.

If you've ever watched an episode of Star Trek and felt pangs of jealousy when someone was painlessly injected with a neuro-stimulant or a radiogenic vaccine, then you're in luck, as a high-tech replacement for the syringe is now available in Europe.

The device, called P.L.E.A.S.E. - or Painless Laser Epidermal System - uses lasers to punch tiny holes in the patient's skin, and administers drugs painlessly and bloodlessly. The device also features a touchscreen interface so that pretty much anyone can use it.

I have to be honest, it's not often I find myself enthusiastic about medical equipment, but it's not every day that something comes along that has such a cool sci-fi feel to it. Hopefully the next step will be the dermal regenerator.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/03/p-l-e-a-s-e-is-the-polite-and-painless-way-to-deliver-drugs-wit/] via Dvice [http://dvice.com/archives/2010/06/get-a-painless.php]

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
As an insulin dependent diabetic, this SHOULD be exciting to me, but I've been put off by horror stories from the early prototypes that could cause heavy bruising and soreness.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
HOLY CRAP! Now I don't need to worry about being scared of needles. I don't even know why I'm still scared of needles after every time I have been given a jab I didn't mind, and I am constantly cutting myself accidentally without caring.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
They wasted money on this crap when you could easily get a needle?

Seriously? People need to grow up, it's just a needle for goodness sakes...

Trebort

Duke of Cheesecake
Feb 25, 2010
This is awesome! ^_^

Wait till I see my GP, I'm going to ask for her to get her hands on one of these babies and start vaccinating me against everything! I might even take her dirty flu vaccine!

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Excuse me while I walk over here and let my head explode with joy.

Edit: Just realised that sounded a bit sarcastic, I was actually being sincere.

Flamezdudes said:
They wasted money on this crap when you could easily get a needle?

Seriously? People need to grow up, it's just a needle for goodness sakes...
Try telling that to someone who suffers from needlephobia.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
I work at a vet office as a veterinary assistant, and when we got the first one of these things a few years back I almost squealed like a schoolgirl. They could only be used by a few different vaccines and mostly for cats, but still it was a fucking Hypospray. Now if only we could make a Dermal regenerator, that would be really handy.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
ultimateownage said:
Wait, where does the A and second E come from in the acronym?
No idea. I guess the marketing department figured that PLEASE was easier to sell than "PLES"

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
....Do we still get the Lollipops?

And then the next step shall be the Trans-Dimensional Shock Drive!.

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
Furburt said:
Icecoldcynic said:
As an insulin dependent diabetic, this SHOULD be exciting to me, but I've been put off by horror stories from the early prototypes that could cause heavy bruising and soreness.
Well, what we've got to is evaluate. Is the heavy bruising and soreness less painful than a big needle going into the vein?

I want results, people!

OP: Sometimes I get the feeling that scientists today are basing all their research off old sci-fi.
Needles don't bother me, and they don't really hurt. I've had a nurse miss my vein before but it still didn't hurt, so for you to feel pain they'd have to do something SERIOUSLY wrong. And also this device won't be used for vein operations.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Hopefully the next step will be the dermal regenerator.
No, hopefully the next step will be a holographic doctor, who can sing, has a terrible bed side manner and also appears in the television series stargate atlantis...

I should go be quiet somewhere for a while.

Still, this I find really interesting but i'm betting it will take the NHS about 80 years untill they start using them, we are too busy paying money towards people who hand out leaflets to staff every other month.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
ultimateownage said:
Wait, where does the A and second E come from in the acronym?
No idea. I guess the marketing department figured that PLEASE was easier to sell than "PLES"
Its called a Tortured Acronym. the Letters are there but have not been employed carefully

Painless Laser EpidermAl SystEm

OT: that is cool. I'm sure it will eventually replace needle. and while I know they are nothing to be scared of, a flinch or a clumsy nurse can cause some nasty bruises and aches, they need a reverse one for taking blood too!