Star Trek Hypospray Now Real

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
baggyn said:
Its cool and all but syringes are far cheaper, unless its multi-use i can't see it replacing the syringe any time soon
I think it is multi-use. I mean, it's a laser, and you lose no blood. Don't see how it can't be use multiple times. Maybe it can even hold 2 or more different vaccines at a time, it would be a LOT better than carrying a set of syringes for every injection.

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
Its good to see small break-throughs like this, although the concept has been around for a long time. Im still holding out for robot butlers though ^^.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
ultimateownage said:
Wait, where does the A and second E come from in the acronym?
No idea. I guess the marketing department figured that PLEASE was easier to sell than "PLES"
Painless Laser Epidermal System

Just a guess, even if it makes no sense.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Pandalisk said:
....Do we still get the Lollipops?
Laserpops!

I hope they get Phasers done soon, then it's just one step to a Holodeck. And don't you dare link me to the Cracked article about how Holodecks would suck, I don't believe a word!

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Good, though the first thing I can see this being used for in the public is for Drug Taking of the future. Just being realistic.

But hooray, I no longer have to have a long metal rod sticking out of my arm, while the nurse goes off and answers the phone WHILE IT'S STILL IN MY ARM!

Calumon: Free Healthcare, get what you pay for.

Aug 3, 2008
Abedeus said:
baggyn said:
Its cool and all but syringes are far cheaper, unless its multi-use i can't see it replacing the syringe any time soon
I think it is multi-use. I mean, it's a laser, and you lose no blood. Don't see how it can't be use multiple times. Maybe it can even hold 2 or more different vaccines at a time, it would be a LOT better than carrying a set of syringes for every injection.
It's not the blood that would stop this being multi-use, as it sates that it causes no bleeding. The problem i can see is that if it isn't properly cleaned small amounts of the previous drug may be left behind. Of course without knowing how it works i can't say for sure if that would be a problem. Maybe any part the drug touches can be removed and replaced after use.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
They wasted money on this crap when you could easily get a needle?

Seriously? People need to grow up, it's just a needle for goodness sakes...
yep tell that to the throngs of screeching 1-3 year olds.

GhostLad

Apr 28, 2010
Flamezdudes said:

Come on! It's star trek tech made real! We'll never get into the future with that attitude. This is cool. Fact :D

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Flamezdudes said:

If you've ever been in a situation where you've had to get injections on a regular basis you wouldn't say that, my sister looked like a junkie when she had her last kid all the injections she was getting, her arms hurt like a bastard. Diabetic benefit majorly from this as well. Combined with the clip on heart beat thingies and the electronic ear thermometer (my personal favourite medical invention) the future is now.

As for wastes of money in the medical industry... how about all the crap they pump into research for things like hair loss, etc.?

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Enkidu88 said:
Now if only we could make a Dermal regenerator, that would be really handy.
Actually if I remember correctly I saw an article a few years ago about that, DARPA was working on something for the US Army that speed up the natural healing process, it wasn't star trek speed, but it was something like 20-30%, and it was light based.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Furburt said:
Icecoldcynic said:
As an insulin dependent diabetic, this SHOULD be exciting to me, but I've been put off by horror stories from the early prototypes that could cause heavy bruising and soreness.
Well, what we've got to is evaluate. Is the heavy bruising and soreness less painful than a big needle going into the vein?

I want results, people!

OP: Sometimes I get the feeling that scientists today are basing all their research off old sci-fi.
I think errr...That is what they actually do, well, at least a lot of scientists have been researching things with sci-fi from there childhood in mind. If you can't try make fiction a reality, what else can you do?

ninjapenguin981

Jul 10, 2009
Flamezdudes said:

It's a perfectly rational phobia. Sharp things being punctured into your body? I mean come on, I'm surprised not everyone is afraid of it.

OT: This sounds very good, as long as it works well with little to no side effects I'm good with it. Needles are not my thing.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
As a guy with a feel of needles, this is actually fantastic news. Sure it'll take a few years to be fully developed, but this is excellent.

Next, let's have warp speed. :)

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Icecoldcynic said:
As an insulin dependent diabetic, this SHOULD be exciting to me, but I've been put off by horror stories from the early prototypes that could cause heavy bruising and soreness.
They say bloodless so they must have solved any bruising issues and well... soreness compared to soreness from getting an injection?

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
A Pious Cultist said:
Icecoldcynic said:
They say bloodless so they must have solved any bruising issues and well... soreness compared to soreness from getting an injection?
Getting an injection isn't painful unless you're stupid enough to be using a blunt needle. I was offered to try this thing in the past, but then it turned out I wasn't eligible due to being under 16. It's unsafe for minors or the elderly. In short, I don't trust that shit.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
tkioz said:
Enkidu88 said:
Now if only we could make a Dermal regenerator, that would be really handy.
Actually if I remember correctly I saw an article a few years ago about that, DARPA was working on something for the US Army that speed up the natural healing process, it wasn't star trek speed, but it was something like 20-30%, and it was light based.
I swear that was on here...

Hang on...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.193205-The-Air-Force-Has-a-Healing-Nanotech-Laser

There we go.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Flamezdudes said:

My knowledge is limited and I my be completely wrong here, but needles cannot be used repeatedly, while this can, so medical waste will be cut down on massively and health services wont have to buy shit loads of needles for immunitization.