Star Trek Hypospray Now Real

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Much better than all those needles! And alot less painful too!

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Hmm this definitely could have advantages mainly in stopping the contamination of needles and stopping the spread of disease's like HIV. If its cheap enough it could be very effective for drug addicts.

I'd imagine in terms of pain its about the same as having a small needle put in your arm, (which is to say not much) so I'm not sure why people are getting so excited about painless injections, it'll probably just give a new generation a fear of hi-tech looking pistols as opposed to needles though :D

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
Wow, this looks pretty awesome. Can't wait to have it tried on me, and realize that I have been infected with a super neurotoxin that has been biologically engineered to make me a superhuman, and then be sent forward in time to turn the tide in a losing war against dark, alien forces which are demolishing our planet and harvesting us as a resource to be used to fuel their dying world.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
I would think this would be ideal in high volume/high traffic medical centers. You don't have the medical waste generated by needles. Depending on the battery life it might be more economical in remote areas also. It also isn't dependent on a supply of metal to make the needles either.

Obviously the design needs testing to make sure it's safe and work any possbile bugs out of it, but the idea makes sense beyond: "It's just like Star Trek."

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
As much as this seems like a waste of money because needles work fine BUT! it also means no need to sterilise, but really all I care about is the fact that there are lasers involved (can I get a ginormous version of this and take out the laser, then fit it to a shark?)

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
This is good for people afraid of needles. Sadly, the needle isn't the painful part of some of the drugs. The Gardasil vaccine felt like liquid fire entering my veins when I got it. The needle wasn't the problem, it was the FIRE!!!

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
Flamezdudes said:
They wasted money on this crap when you could easily get a needle?

Seriously? People need to grow up, it's just a needle for goodness sakes...
Ahh yes, let's avoid medical research into a device that might be useful to help prevent the spread of HIV in countries that suffer from high rates of said disease. Think about it for just a moment, this device doesn't need sterilising or discarding after every dose, it doesn't come into contact with the patients blood and thusly can be used to treat multiple patients in quick succession. Beyond the sci-fi cool factor, this device is just plain useful and a much better alternative to the common needle syringe.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Injections without needles you say? Well, that certainly is good news!
Hopefully medical practitioners will pass the savings from not having to buy a thousand needles per week on to their customers...

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
VanityGirl said:
This is good for people afraid of needles. Sadly, the needle isn't the painful part of some of the drugs. The Gardasil vaccine felt like liquid fire entering my veins when I got it. The needle wasn't the problem, it was the FIRE!!!
I still psych myself out about needles, evne though they don't really hurt that bad. I find it interesting that, despite what I'd heard, the gardasil injections didn't really hurt very much to me.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I have always been afraid of needles. I am pretty sure that paralyzing fear has kept me holding back in fear of getting diabetes. Now I am pretty sure I still wont like the fact that I am getting things injected into me but the needle wont be there so that is awesome. Now excuse me, there is a bag of sugar I need to eat.

Mana Fiend said:
As a guy with a feel of needles, this is actually fantastic news. Sure it'll take a few years to be fully developed, but this is excellent.

Next, let's have warp speed. :)
I think the tricorders or their insignia/communicators are next. I actually hear scientists were able to teleport a single particle across the US so those fancy transporters might be next.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Erana said:
VanityGirl said:
I still psych myself out about needles, evne though they don't really hurt that bad. I find it interesting that, despite what I'd heard, the gardasil injections didn't really hurt very much to me.
Wow really? The finally shot hurt me.
I had to get a lot of shots (since I traveled a lot) gardasil was the only one that bothered me. Tetnis, typhoid fever, none of those hurt! Hehe.

Maybe it varies from person to person?

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
This is exciting if only cos it may mean a reduction of needles, and a reduction of needles means a reduction in the chances of infection from said needles.

Laser = no bacterium or virus.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
Icecoldcynic said:
As an insulin dependent diabetic, this SHOULD be exciting to me, but I've been put off by horror stories from the early prototypes that could cause heavy bruising and soreness.
I believe the first prototypes of the "needelless" injectors used extreamly high pressure to shoot liquid through the skin and into the muscle. It's possible that this laser based device would have much less bruising.

Icecoldcynic said:
*snip*...they need a reverse one for taking blood too!
You really want a minimum wage nurse removing your blood with a laser? Really?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
When I glanced at the headline, I first though it said Star Trek Hypocracy[small](sic)[/small] Now Real.

I was expecting a story about the U.N. citing the Prime Directive as a reason not to get involved in Israel's blockade of Gaza.

I glad my sleepy eyes deceived me, as a new medical breakthrough is much better news for everyone.

sabbat

Apr 29, 2010
If you watch some episodes of Star Trek, the Hypospray does actually hurt, so this surpasses it.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
scobie said:
Yet more conclusive proof that we live in the future now.
I agree, my good chum!

Now I shall go back to my flying car and zoom away into my humble home on the Moon.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Meh, it's nice, but I'm still waiting for my Total Immortality Nanobot Package...