Star Trek: Lower Decks.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
A new Star Trek cartoon is coming to CBS All Access August 6.

I have to be honest, this doesn't look like a show I'd be interested in.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why are the arseholes behind Rick and Morty being allowed to make a Star Trek show?
Cuz science fiction is the new hotness, and "edgy".

I am sick and tired of Rick and Morty, but this show looks less cynical and less up its own ass compared to the former. I won't be sticking around, but I will give Lower Decks a fair chance.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Why are the arseholes behind Rick and Morty being allowed to make a Star Trek show?
Because if you go woke, you go broke. Clearly guys of this calibre is the only way to be successful unlike Discovery or Picard

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Because if you go woke, you go broke. Clearly guys of this calibre is the only way to be successful unlike Discovery or Picard
I've never accused Discovery or Picard of being woke, but are they actually doing well? I thought reception to both was pretty lukewalm. And having seen both seasons of Discovery, I can't really say I disagree (Picard, I haven't seen).

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
If wokeness in Star Trek is a problem for anyone, I suggest they check out of the franchise. Star Trek existed to be woke - and also have miniskirts. Picard is no more or less woke than that which came before it.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I've never accused Discovery or Picard of being woke, but are they actually doing well? I thought reception to both was pretty lukewalm. And having seen both seasons of Discovery, I can't really say I disagree (Picard, I haven't seen).
I didn't mean to say you were saying woke. I was being a caricature of people who hate those shows.

That being said, as a person who is currently rewatching TNG (for the first time in 15 years).... TNG first season sucks compared to these new ones. I know it gets better, but its so much worse than I remember. Those new shows were fine. Orville was fine. Just be warned that the first episode of Discovery is the worst Star Trek I've ever seen, closely followed by the last episode of Picard. (Note: TNG has, and probably still is, the worst Star Trek in my opinion.)

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I didn't mean to say you were saying woke. I was being a caricature of people who hate those shows.

That being said, as a person who is currently rewatching TNG (for the first time in 15 years).... TNG first season sucks compared to these new ones. I know it gets better, but its so much worse than I remember. Those new shows were fine. Orville was fine. Just be warned that the first episode of Discovery is the worst Star Trek I've ever seen, closely followed by the last episode of Picard. (Note: TNG has, and probably still is, the worst Star Trek in my opinion.)
I disagree with your TNG assessment overall, but on its first season I am in lock step. Holy fucking Christ that was some risible television. Like, wow. Only thing I miss from it is Tasha Yar.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

You don't need to warn me about Discovery, I've seen it. For better or worse.

And yeah, I've seen the first two seasons of TNG. Bleh. Though TBH, I've never been a big fan of Star Trek, period. There's simply better sci-fi shows out there. And while it's true that Star Trek has produced intelligent television, it's also produced absolute drek.

Edit: Also, as far as 'worst' Star Trek series goes, for me, right now it's TNG>TOS>Discovery>Enterprise.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Why would they make this an actual Star Trek show and not just a parody 'treklike' show?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Well, I think we have a new frontrunner for most un-Star-Trek-like Star Trek show.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Well, I think we have a new frontrunner for most un-Star-Trek-like Star Trek show.
Man, funny how that one keeps moving with each new show and movie released, huh?

With the exception of Picard, cuz even if the plot is as bad as I've heard some claim, how can anyone hate on my man Patrick Stewart?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
With the exception of Picard, cuz even if the plot is as bad as I've heard some claim, how can anyone hate on my man Patrick Stewart?
Because people have trouble differentiating the actor from the role, and direct their vitriolic opinions at the real person based on what the fictional character did.
People are kind of dumb that way, just look at the way people have been reacting to Laura Bailey recently.

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Wow those are some stale stale jokes. Its just the same shallow stupidity that everyone parodying Trek tries only this time its...actually Star Trek? Galaxy Quest did it better and that was 20 years ago guys. Come up with some new material

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
You know, that’s exactly what they said about TNG. And DS9. Etc.
It’s almost this comment is more about it being new, rather than anyone knowing what ‘Star Trek’ is.

Reactions: Hawki

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Because people have trouble differentiating the actor from the role, and direct their vitriolic opinions at the real person based on what the fictional character did.
People are kind of dumb that way, just look at the way people have been reacting to Laura Bailey recently.
I’m pretty sure Stewart had a LOT of influence on Picard. For example, he dictated that they can’t be on a Starfleet ship

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCalavera

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I’m pretty sure Stewart had a LOT of influence on Picard. For example, he dictated that they can’t be on a Starfleet ship
Checking the IMDB for the crew of the show, he's got an executive producer credit, and that's all. And executive producer's involvement can vary wildly from project to project, to the point of just being a token title in some cases. Not sure how much actual impact he had on direction of the story, don't really care. Didn't think it looked very good from the first time I saw a trailer.

Regardless, nothing about Patrick's involvement, or lack thereof invalidates what I said that you quoted.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Why would they make this an actual Star Trek show and not just a parody 'treklike' show?
The Orville exists.
Red Dwarf (yes it is partly a Trek parody) exists.
Hyperdrive exists

The reason it's Star Trek branded is because CBS has the licence and couldn't give a damn they're slapping the name on everything hoping to get it more pull because of said name,

Also because there's been more input from him into the series, his character and the writing which seems to be making Picard less the Next Generation Picard and more Patrick Stewart's projection of his idea self. For Picard they let him in the writing room which who knows if it was him who pushed the changes but they really did change Picard. Originally Picard was quite reserved not very rash. He thought through action and tried to remain fairly professionally detached from the rest of the crew.

I mean I'm not gonna say they're burning Good Will of older / longer time fans than a person trapped in a the flow of a warp core vent but CBS really is annoying people and likely not getting the returns they hoped.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The Orville exists.
Red Dwarf (yes it is partly a Trek parody) exists.
Hyperdrive exists

The reason it's Star Trek branded is because CBS has the licence and couldn't give a damn they're slapping the name on everything hoping to get it more pull because of said name,

Also because there's been more input from him into the series, his character and the writing which seems to be making Picard less the Next Generation Picard and more Patrick Stewart's projection of his idea self. For Picard they let him in the writing room which who knows if it was him who pushed the changes but they really did change Picard. Originally Picard was quite reserved not very rash. He thought through action and tried to remain fairly professionally detached from the rest of the crew.

I mean I'm not gonna say they're burning Good Will of older / longer time fans than a person trapped in a the flow of a warp core vent but CBS really is annoying people and likely not getting the returns they hoped.
Picard became more cautious after he picked a fight with some Nausicans (spelling?) and got stabbed through the heart for his troubles. Now he’s older, a tad more jaded and now he’s no longer part of Star Fleet he may have stopped giving a fuck. I don’t see anything in Picard as being at odds with the man as he was. Trust me, if they really took a hacksaw to Jean Lic Picard’s character I’d be up on that barricade faster than you can say “Sacré Bleu!”