Star Trek Online Headed to PS4 and Xbox One This Fall

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Star Trek Online Headed to PS4 and Xbox One This Fall

Cryptic Studios and Perfect World Entertainment are bringing Star Trek Online to consoles later this year.

Star Trek Online may have launched on PC way back in February of 2010, but this fall, it will hit consoles for the first time. Perfect Word Entertainment announced today that their free-to-play Star Trek MMO will be coming to PS4 and Xbox One later this year.

Console players will get to enjoy over 130 featured episodes, two expansions, and 11 season's worth of content updates. Fans of the TV show and movies will recognize many familiar voices, including Michael Dorn as Worf, Jeri Ryan as Seven of Nine, and Tim Russ as Tuvok.

Cryptic says that they have made "considerable updates to the game engine to offer upgraded visuals and an enhanced user experience for console," and that they're using what they learned from bringing Neverwinter to console to improve the control scheme as well.

Star Trek Online lets players create their own starship captain with the choice of 32 species and three factions, and the console version will let players play through the story and reach the cap of level 60 for free.

A number of MMOs have made the move to console, and it's not surprising to see Cryptic employing the experience they gained from Neverwinter to bring another of their free-to-play titles to new platforms.

We'll see Star Trek Online on consoles this fall.

[gallery=6231]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Is this a last ditched attempt to make it popular since I read somewhere it wasn't that great?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Weird, is this popular then? As above, i haven't heard any positives about this particular MMO. Still, free to play might pull in some fools monies. Poor Star Trek...one day you'll get the galaxy exploring game you deserve. Today is not that day though.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
I imagine most people who are interested in this are already playing.
I put over 20 hours in (steam tells me 28 but some of that is afk time) before i finally accepted i had no idea what i was actually working towards.
There was no motivation to continue, no massive ultimate objective but also no small incremental progression of an individual story.
The space combat was adequate, on foot combat felt pretty bad
It'll transfer well to console, but why would you want to?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
baconsarnie said:
This pretty much covers how I feel. I played for about 30 hours after joining due to an Enterprise-era ship and uniform giveaway, and didn't really know why I was playing. The story felt Star Trek but there's really no reason to play it for any other reason, and for an MMO that's terrible. I played SWTOR through its stories, but there was so much more to do between cut scenes that I could at least enjoy getting through the stories.

I never understood why STO was a thing. A 12 million dollar MMO in this day and age is hard enough to pull off, having an (initial) subscription service doesn't help matters, and going F2P after SWTOR came out of development hell only made thing worst. And the final nail in the coffin given what I've seen was studio who made it going under and a Chinese one taking over. The prices are ungodly, how do you make EA have a better offer for their F2P MMO store?

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
I found/find it quite enjoyable. I still dip in and out from time to time. The ground combat is worse than Mass Effect 1's showing, but the space-combat is reminiscent of the Starfleet Academy series and works very well. The space graphics look decidedly Trek as well.

Sadly the plotting is... mediocre at best, with only the occasional spark of awesome. Dialogue choices are very linear and the universe feels perpetually static (DS9 is occupied by enemy forces at one point in the campaign... but you can still safely visit the station as a hub between missions). Furthermore, it's rather rare to run into a voiced character, although they tend to be Trek actors reprising their roles when you do. Don't expect your crew to speak after the tutorial, or for your Captain to speak... well, ever.

TL:DR - the game is enjoyable in space, but the plots, environmental design and ground combat let it down. Still, I hope ST:O hangs around, if only as one of the last bastions of the pre-Nu-Trek days (it's not set in the JJ-verse).

Nov 28, 2007
I wonder if it will still be F2P on consoles? Might check it out if so.

ETA: Derp, missed the line in the article saying that it will be free. I might check it out, then.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Considering I have 3 - 4 bars setup for all my attacks and abilities, I wonder how this will translate to consoles.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
008Zulu said:
Considering I have 3 - 4 bars setup for all my attacks and abilities, I wonder how this will translate to consoles.
For PVE it will be fine, I used to play PVE with a 360 controller fine, it's get more tricky in PVP when you do need to use every ability.

This game was better when it was subscription frankly. Once all the admiral level ships went to overpriced micro-transactions this game died for me.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
I'm honestly not sure. I've played this a long while on PC and like others have said, you do end up using most of your action bar slots. The controls don't seem like they'll translate well to consoles. If it's not gonna cost anything to grab the client, i'll probably have a look.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
this is the only mmorpg thats caught and kept my attention long term (1400+ hours long term. im not a grind for the sake of grinding type person so for me its the interest in the story missions.

for those curious you can make it from level 1 to level 60 totally free as well as completing all the story missions solo.

they will also be releasing a new expansion soon which is specifically original series trek. set just after the last series

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I have it, I've played it. I'm curious about this since I control things easier on a console.