Star Wars Attack Squadrons Domains Registered by Lucasfilm

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars Attack Squadrons Domains Registered by Lucasfilm

Disney and Lucasfilm have registered a slew of domain names presumably to protect the yet to be announced Attack Squadrons project.

In case you hadn't had enough Star Wars news, what with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126381-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-Lands-John-Williams>John Williams, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126389-Star-Wars-Rebels-Returns-to-Classic-Trilogy-Roots>Rebels, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126391-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-Will-Balance-CGI-and-Practical-Effects>practical effects all coming into the spotlight, we're here to give you yet another story related to the franchise. It's been discovered that Disney and LucasFilm have registered a score of internet domains that could point to a new and unannounced Star Wars project. One that might be of particular interest to gamers.

The domains in question would seem to be a slew of different variations on the title Star Wars Attack Squadrons. For instance, the sites registered include domain names such as StarWarsAttackSquadrons.com, SWAttackSquadrons.com and AttackSquadrons.com. The full is list is a deeply thorough smorgasbord of alternative spellings and abbreviations that pretty well cover all of Attack Squadron's bases. In other words, if you had your heart set on extorting Disney by snatching up the rights to SWattacksquadron.org, you're out of luck.

Where things get interesting for gamers is in Attack Squadron's possible crossover with domain names registered by Electronic Arts. The game publisher, which signed a multi-year deal in May granting it exclusive rights to the Star Wars license, also happens to hold the rights to AttackSquadron.com and AttackSquadron.net. Granted, EA has had these domain names registered for several years, but it's still interesting that the film studio would go to such trouble to protect a title similar to one that EA controls as well. That said, with no confirmation from Lucasfilm and the increasingly broad proliferation of Star Wars across entertainment mediums to consider, it's anyone's guess as to what Attack Squadrons may be.

Source: Fusible

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
Three possible options come to my mind.

-A EVE/Tie fighter MMORPG.
-A freepsace-like star wars game.
-Or going by the Deus ex: the fall example, either a facebook or smartphone game.

Anyone else have any ideas?

BlueCasket

Jul 24, 2013
CyberMachinist said:
Three possible options come to my mind.

-A EVE/Tie fighter MMORPG.
-A freepsace-like star wars game.
-Or going by the Deus ex: the fall example, either a facebook or smartphone game.

Anyone else have any ideas?
If EA makes another MMO and it's not SWG2, we have a problem lol. An improved Star Wars Galaxies would have everything we'd need in a online Star Wars experience. Making an EVE-style Star Wars MMORPG would leave SO MUCH left to be desired.

However, I would love to see a quality reboot (and I use that term lightly because I'm just using this as an example of gameplay) of Rogue Squadron. Atmospheric and space combat, maybe with a little more simulation aspects.

saintdane05 said:
A Rogue Squadron game where you can play as the Empire/Other factions?
Yeah! That's what I'm talking about, make something similar to Rogue Squadron, but much much better.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I'd love to see another Rogue Squadron-like game, but only if it is more similar to 1 or 2. They started throwing in the ground segments later but, while neat, were really just diversions that I slogged through to get the ship-fighting parts.

mygocarp

Apr 2, 2012
Dropped in and pleased to see others hoping for a Rogue Squadron esque title. I love those games back on my N64 and GameCube.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I would love to see a new Rouge Squadron game made, Rouge Leader is still my favorite Star Wars game, and if we could get another one, I would be pretty happy.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Attack Squadrons make it sound like a squad based shooter - but the fact that it's plural could imply either multiplayer or maybe a strategy game where you're managing squads of troops ala Dawn of War II.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I would absolutely love to see an X-Wing/Tie Fighter game. Not an MMO either. And don't just have it recreate Battle of Yavin and Endor. Some new locations, some new epic battles.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Please please please bring back a fighter sim. I don't care if it's Rogue Squadron or another X-Wing game. I love both series to death. So sad that I can't play X-Wing anymore because DOS. I would love to take the controls again and fight in the battle of Endor or other epic space battles. Please. And throw in co op too. That would be amazing. Making your own fighter wing with your friends and just having a blast.

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
garbutt said:
A new TIE fighter or X-Wing game would be awesome :)
Please.

Rogue squadron was okay but after the first it just repeated. Give me that snubfighter feel. I want a bloody B-wing to fly around, hell I'll even tolerate those Vong abominations.