Star Wars: Battlefront Already "Well Into Development"

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Star Wars: Battlefront Already "Well Into Development"

Star Wars: Battlefront veterans hopefully won't have to wait for much longer to see more from the big-name sci-fi shooter.

In case you've been living on some backwoods moon of Endor, DICE revealed at this year's E3 that it's working on rebooting the massively popular Star Wars: Battlefront series. All we've seen so far is a short teaser video [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125155-Star-Wars-Battlefront-In-Good-Hands-At-DICE-Claims-EA], but fans are downright frenzied. Those fans will be happy to know that the teaser won't have to hold them over for long - a few comments from EA's latest earnings call indicate that work on the game is moving right along.

"We showed 22 seconds of where we're going with [Battlefront] and the fan response was very positive," says EA Games Label president Frank Gibeau. "The DICE team is well into development on that product already, so we feel very bullish about our shooter rotation over the next several years." Gibeau also mentioned that the new game will have "a third-person component," hinting that the series won't be shifting to first-person a la DICE's Battlefield franchise, or at least not entirely.

So, progress is being made on the new installment. Not, you know, enough progress to warrant a proper trailer or anything - we'll have to stick with our imaginations on that front for now - but at least it sounds like DICE isn't wasting time on getting fans their Star Wars fix. We'll keep our Bothan spies on the lookout for more information.

Source: Video Gamer [http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/nextgen_battlefront/news/dice_well_into_development_on_star_wars_battlefront.html]

Sep 14, 2009
eh, it still sounds like they are trying to EA/battlefield the star wars battlefront games, so no fucking thanks, i'll stick to bf2 unless by some bloody miracle dice doesn't produce battlefield 3.5 with STAHR WAHRZ skins

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
"will have a third person component".

Oh shit don't tell me you fuckwads are turning this into a primarily FPS title, are you? It's not squad based tactics in outer space, where you pick and choose your loadouts. It's a human wave simulator with distinct class based warfare. Get it right or don't do it at all.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
gmaverick019 said:
eh, it still sounds like they are trying to EA/battlefield the star wars battlefront games, so no fucking thanks, i'll stick to bf2 unless by some bloody miracle dice doesn't produce battlefield 3.5 with STAHR WAHRZ skins
I don't really trust on anything that has "EA" on it nowadays, but just... JUST think there's a slight chance that DICE will making something other than that, hopefully...

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
So it's likely they'll give us the option to switch between First and Thirdperson like in the R&C games?

Not sure what's gonna happen during the development but one things for sure, there will be arguing...... and DLC.... Lots of DLC. Things will get Hot! hotter than the Death of a Star.

Things are about to go to hell real fast, I can sense the cry of millions of angry fans if the news updates don't go well. And they likely won't be silenced.

Sep 14, 2009
Grabehn said:
gmaverick019 said:
I don't really trust on anything that has "EA" on it nowadays, but just... JUST think there's a slight chance that DICE will making something other than that, hopefully...
i'm not going to completely dismiss it, but i'll have to see tons and tons of videos over what it has to offer and what kind of shit EA will undoubtedly try to pull before i remotely consider getting it, and even then i doubt i'll spend more than 30 bucks to get it.

Soviet Heavy said:

Oh shit don't tell me you fuckwads are turning this into a primarily FPS title, are you? It's not squad based tactics in outer space, where you pick and choose your loadouts. It's a human wave simulator with distinct class based warfare. Get it right or don't do it at all.
also this, the exact word "component" coming from EA sounds like fucking horse manure of a battlefield skin.

RC1138

Dec 9, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:

If you're buying a game from EA at this point/giving them any amount of money(after the past two years of ruination of great series), you deserve the disappointment that's coming. DICE isn't to be trusted either, as they took the once great Battlefield series and boiled it down into a tasteless homogenized mess attempting to be a COD clone, something that cannot be beaten because they miss the key thing that draws people to COD. Too bad, Battlefront 1 and 2 were probably my favorite games of all time.

Just to highlight the coming disappointment, Battlefront's 1 and 2 were some of the most fully modded games made, you can turn each of them into just about anything following the massive battle arena archetype. When's the last time EA released a game that *allowed* modding, much less to even something approaching Battlefront (or BF1942/BF2). No you should skip this game if you played the old ones, you can ONLY be disappointed by this title as it will never, not by this dev/pub pair, be anything approaching the greatness of the two original games. It will be battlefront in name and high level concept only.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I'm extremely excited over this. I know that over the course of the next few months that excitement is going to die because of who we're dealing with and when this game is being made. And then afterwards the dead excitement will become despair. But for now I'm going to enjoy being excited for a new Battlefront game. While it lasts.

Still, even if DICE just makes it Battlefield with Star Wars skin, can they at least have the decency to make it more like Bad Company 2 instead of Battlefield 3? I'd prefer it more like Battlefront 2, but I'll take what I can get.

RC1138

Dec 9, 2009
How much you wana bet vehicles will be DLC material (maybe pilot training to allow star-fighter use in atmosphere for example) and that it will largely be infantry combat based as opposed to the massive vehicle battles that are supposed to dominate the landscape.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I...I wanna be optimistic, I really do, but I don't know if I can be. I mean I loved Battlefront 1 and 2 to death, from the levels, to the vehicles, and the classes you could use. But if they are trying to turn it into Battlefield with a Star Wars skin then I'm gonna be sad.
I mean heck Battlefront II did wonders and improved on a lot of things.
Plus, nothing's more fun then beating Darth Vader to death with a Wumpa. :3

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
You'll have to forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical since this has been a dog an dpony show for years now. Though honestly if they dont do it right, I'll probably skip. Like I may as well have skipped on Soul Cal V (and like if its true nintendo is closest to buying atlus i'll probably have to skip on the new persna because it wont be any good if its based around the wii u as its primary console).

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Yeah! EA is bad, yeah woo screw EA forever! Dey terk er jerbs!

I'm excited. I liked Battlefield 3, I loved Battlefronts 1 and 2, and complaining about a game before it's even released won't get anyone anywhere.

EA's executives don't get screwed over by low sales and pirating, the developers do. Here's to a good reboot, DICE.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
DICE has already made a Battlefront game. They called it Battlefield 2142. It was great. Especially Titan mode. I better see a return of Titan mode. And yes, DICE can do third-person camera (see: Battlefield vehicles). This series is in good hands. Probably better hands, actually.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Saw: Star Wars: Battlefront Already "Well Into Development"
Thought: Holy shit they really are re-skinning Battlefield.

Saw: Gibeau also mentioned that the new game will have "a third-person component"
Thought: Joy FPS with TPS vehicle segments.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Cognimancer said:
We'll keep our Bothan spies on the lookout for more information.
So does that mean that many Bothans died to bring you this information? :p

OT: Like many, I'm really looking forward to a return of this series. Gotta say it ranks up there with my favorite series of SW games. I just pray they don't muck it up...with online capabilities vastly improved from what they were in the days of BF 1 and 2, it could be a lot of fun. Does make me wonder how they'll handle the Heros...which were often so overpowered that they could singlehandedly win a battle...I'm looking at you, Darth Maul...>.>

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
rasputin0009 said:
DICE has already made a Battlefront game. They called it Battlefield 2142. It was great. Especially Titan mode. I better see a return of Titan mode. And yes, DICE can do third-person camera (see: Battlefield vehicles). This series is in good hands. Probably better hands, actually.
I doubt you will find many people agreeing that DICE is the more suitable developer after what EA did to Pandemic.

Sep 14, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Heros...which were often so overpowered that they could singlehandedly win a battle...I'm looking at you, Darth Maul...>.>
*reminiscent sigh*

i remember the good ole days, where i could win an entire victory and capture the enemies sole spawn point with darth maul...

ended battles before they even fuckin started, that's how you win wars gentlemen.