Star Wars: Battlefront - Great Teaser, Now What?

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Star Wars: Battlefront - Great Teaser, Now What?

For 10 years, Battlefront has been relegated to handhelds. Now it makes its console comeback.

Read Full Article

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The most important thing the game needs is for it to be 3rd Person primarily. If it's a solely FPS, people will just declare it a Star Wars reskin of Battlefield. And if we wanted that, I'd go back to the Star Wars: First Strike mod for Battlefield 2142

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
There are Battlefront Purists? That's just silly. The game was a great game to play with friends but it had tons of flaws from terrible level design, to breathtakingly bad weapon/ability balancing. I wont even mention the AI.

The game needs to be reworked for modern tech. Everything the scale of battles to the terrible upgrade system needs reworked.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Soviet Heavy said:
The most important thing the game needs is for it to be 3rd Person primarily. If it's a solely FPS, people will just declare it a Star Wars reskin of Battlefield. And if we wanted that, I'd go back to the Star Wars: First Strike mod for Battlefield 2142
Agreed, though I would at least like the option to play it in a first person view in a viable manner. It's more immersive that way.

Xenominim

Jan 11, 2011
Stupidity said:
There are Battlefront Purists? That's just silly. The game was a great game to play with friends but it had tons of flaws from terrible level design, to breathtakingly bad weapon/ability balancing. I wont even mention the AI.

The game needs to be reworked for modern tech. Everything the scale of battles to the terrible upgrade system needs reworked.
Much agreement. I played both games on friend's systems and while fun in short bursts I never found enough to like to be worth buying. Other issues than ones you mentioned were the worthless single-player and the fact I found the controls to always be a bit floaty and the weapons with very little feel of impact. And I used to be a Star Wars nut at the time.

But the potential is still there for this to be great. I really do hope it turns out awesome and if nothing else I'm excited to see how it might finally look.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Battlefront, in my opinion, were the only Star Wars games to really be any sort of decent in terms of the world.

When you play a jedi, or everyone is a jedi (ToR), it loses it's fun.

And if Dice is going to be doing something with it similar to Battlefield, I'm not going to say I'm not stoked as hell.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
So I heard that EA hired Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf [http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/] to do their public relations speeches from now on.

Anyway, I was excited about Battlefront but after the Battlefield 4 débâcle I'm not so sure any more. Maybe it's a lesson learned for the developers at DICE but if EA starts to hammer about releasing it earlier (which is highly probable) than it might be the nail to the coffin for DICE.

But I won't shed a tear if or when that happens.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
DICE heard that EA had the rights to Star Wars games and they begged to do Battlefront. That team is capable of amazing things, although their projects can be hampered by the business side of things. DICE is the company I had hoped would get to make the next Battlefront, and that's speaking as one of the people that gets choked up remembering the cancelled Battlefront 3 [http://youtu.be/2WeX41WfOsY]. Looking at the timeline, I'm not surprised we haven't heard anything yet and I hope the issues surrounding BF4 work as a cautionary tale for the next Battlefront.

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
Stupidity said:

Ah yes, the classic stand still and shoot strategy

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I think we also have to remember, Disney will be keeping a close eye on EA, and if it's one thing i have learned about Disney over the last few years, it's that, despite what people may think of them, generally the stuff they release is near enough flawless. The Marvel films, Frozen, and some of there other stuff pretty much confirm that, they wont allow EA to release a half ass product.

Still a bit worried though, not because of EA, but DICE...not very familiar with them, and hearing about the problems BF4 has had, just adds to the worry, thankfully what they have said (about them wanting it to feel like Battlefront, and the fact they begged EA to do it) has made me just that little bit happier.

Now...we need another trailer, pronto!

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Eh. I already played battlefront moastly in 1st person, so including 3rd person isn't a big deal for me. Looking forward to this.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Chareater said:
Stupidity said:

Ah yes, the classic stand still and shoot strategy
Well, at least the Stormtroopers could hit what they were aiming at that way (well, maybe 30% accuracy instead of 5%, but still an improvement!)

I'm cautiously optimistic. Firstly, the teaser means jack shit to me. Yeah, its Hoth; any Battlefront game worth its salt is going to have the first big cinematic Star Wars slau- I mean, battle, so no shocking reveal their. No gameplay is shown, so it means nothing.

I just hope DICE doesn't BF4 it.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
After what we've gone through with Battlefield 4, Dice deserves to lose its customers' trust. I recommend waiting at least one month to buy this game (after its release).

The release of Battlefield 4 was extremely unprofessional and premature. No game comes out flawless, but this was too much. For me, the game only just recently hit slightly-above-acceptable standards.

I am sure that Battlefront will be a great game, but I still strongly recommend against a pre-order. Whatever "Premium" crap they boast... don't buy into it; just wait.

Jaximus Decimus

Sep 10, 2013
I know DICE has the project, but I don't think the BF4 team is the one making Battlefront. Also, not long ago I saw a quote from someone at EA or DICE that said they weren't just going to copy the previous games, they were going to make Battlefront their own.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Jaximus Decimus said:
I know DICE has the project, but I don't think the BF4 team is the one making Battlefront. Also, not long ago I saw a quote from someone at EA or DICE that said they weren't just going to copy the previous games, they were going to make Battlefront their own.
Playing Devil's advocate, let's assume their goal was to copy/paste the previous games; would they come out and say that, or would they say "We plan to release the most innovative innovation in the history of innovation,"? Not unlike how every Madden game is touted as "raising the bar" and "the best madden yet." IMO, given the debacle with BF4, it wouldn't surprise me if someone said "Look, we can't afford another BF4. Play it safer than safe. Just copy-paste, and we'll spin it as "remaining true to the source."'

lukesparow

Jan 20, 2014
Gxas said:
Battlefront, in my opinion, were the only Star Wars games to really be any sort of decent in terms of the world.

And if Dice is going to be doing something with it similar to Battlefield, I'm not going to say I'm not stoked as hell.
While they were out there in that type of way, have you ever heard of the Jedi Knight games? I personally think especially Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast does this much better than any other Star Wars games.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
lukesparow said:
Gxas said:

While they were out there in that type of way, have you ever heard of the Jedi Knight games? I personally think especially Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast does this much better than any other Star Wars games.
Played a bit of Jedi Academy and I own Outcast, but I've just never been one to want play a jedi. I bought a huge collectors pack because of Republic Commando, Battlefront, and Battlefront 2. It had KotoR and Outcast in it. Never even installed them.

Maybe I'll give them a shot sometime.

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
"It's hard not to be excited for the reboot."

Have you people forgotten Dead Island already? A pre-rendered short film tells you absolutely nothing. If this was being made be the same people as the first two I could understand, but this is being made by EA, who have a reputation for running things into the ground coughUltimacough.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Soviet Heavy said:
Speak for yourself; I want a Star Wars re-skin of Battlefield (which is EXACTLY what the first 2 Battlefronts were). Third-person is awful for shooters unless it's cover-based. Since DICE does first-person so well, they'd be better off doing it first-person.

The good thing about DICE getting Star Wars is that DICE will finally have a single-player story that won't be awful for once (only because they're not going to be writing it). Also, I'm hoping they bring back Titan mode from 2142. It would fit perfectly in the Star Wars universe.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Even if it turns out to be a not perfect game I'm still excited about another installment of Star Wars Battlefront after the forever wait. Call me crazy but just something fun about playing as a Storm Trooper instead of every shooter being World War II, modern warfare, or zombies. Shooting ewoks and gungans that feels like revenge.

While I still break out the games from time to time I can't call myself a purist because there are so many areas where they could be made into better games.