Star Wars Battlefront II May be Ditching the Season Pass

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Star Wars Battlefront II May be Ditching the Season Pass

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1398/1398194.jpg

It's looking like Star Wars Battlefront II may be passing on a Season Pass.

EA lifted the veil on Star Wars Battlefront II today, sharing a details on the game's singleplayer campaign [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170114-Star-Wars-Battlefront-2-launches-in-November]. And now, it looks like there may be a bit more - it looks like the game will be releasing without a season pass.

Speaking with Mashable [http://mashable.com/2017/04/15/star-wars-battlefront-2-season-pass-no-more/#988mYvakbgqW], creative director Bernd Diemer confirmed that the game will be releasing without a season pass. And there was really no room for misinterpretation - he said "We don't have a season pass."

"We decided on that, and it's one of those difficult decisions because it has so many implications all around," Diemer said. "When we looked at the way Battlefront had evolved over its lifetime, with the DLC and everything, we decided, 'You know what? For this type of game, season passes are not the best thing. We need to [take it apart] and come up with something better."

"We don't want to segment our community," he added, saying that, while he can't dive into the specifics, the team has "something different in mind that will allow you to play longer, be [more] invested in the game without having a fragmented community."

EA reached out afterwards, saying: "While we're not ready to confirm any live service plans just yet, what we can say is this we heard the feedback from our Battlefront community loud and clear. We know they want more depth, more progression, and more content. So we're focused on delivering that in every dimension of Star Wars Battlefront II. We'll have more to share about our plans soon.

[gallery=7220]

Star Wars Battlefront II will release worldwide on November 17, 2017 for PC, Xbox One and PS4.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Good.

Titanfall 2 and Rainbow Six Siege have made me basically not ever really willing to buy maps again.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
"We need to [take it apart] and come up with something better."

Coming from an EA employee that's legitimately terrifying. In the past game publishers have pushed for "something better" than conventional DLC and given us microtransactions, pre-order bonuses, online passes, and all sorts of other unpleasant and anti-consumer rubbish. From the tone it sounds like this time we'll be getting some form of obnoxiously slow progression system to unlock all the content, no doubt with microtransactions to "provide more options".

I'm ready to be proved wrong but given it's EA I'm guessing even if I am it'll only be because I've underestimated the sheer audacity of their latest so-called innovation.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
For a decade-old game I'm surprised they even considered a season pass for it, they'd be better off making a Battlefront 3 instead of DLC for such an old game.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Good news, but they really need to find a good way to finance their DLC.

I hope they go harder on emblems and emotes than skins. I want all the clone armor possible.

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
"We're ditching the season pass in favour of the pay as you play plan. Just 50c per match or $10 for a one week pass."

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
bjj hero said:
I have never bought a season pass. Never will.
Season Passes are only good to buy after all the dlc content they're claiming to cover is already out and is actually worthwhile as most companies seem to forget they've got a season pass out on Steam or other sellers who offer discounts and they usually end up being cheaper than the separate pieces of dlc that have been released when discounted. Season Passes may be terrible as an on release buy but they're a boon to those who wait.