Star Wars: Battlefront In Good Hands At DICE, Claims EA

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Star Wars: Battlefront In Good Hands At DICE, Claims EA

Battlefield developer DICE is the perfect choice to continue the Star Wars: Battlefront series, and EA's Frank Gibeau has a long list of reasons why.

During EA's press conference at the recent E3 event in Los Angeles, developer DICE trotted out a few minutes of footage from the upcoming Battlefield 4. It was an enthralling segment, but for a brief few seconds prior the company treated all of us to something that few were expecting: An all-too-brief teaser of a new Star Wars: Battlefront title in development at DICE. Though we saw almost nothing concretely useful from the apparently pre-rendered footage, it largely overshadowed gamers' collective excitement for Battlefield 4.

The idea that DICE should be put in charge of Star Wars: Battlefront makes a lot of sense, as the Battlefront series has always been easily described as a variation on the themes DICE created for Battlefield, only with a recognizable film license to add extra sizzle to the metaphorical steak. If that's not enough to convince you of how exciting the reveal should be, here's a few dozen words from EA Labels president Frank Gibeau on why DICE is the only real choice for continuing the Star Wars: Battlefront franchise.

"Battlefront is a vehicle experience, it's a character experience," Gibeau told IGN in a recent interview. "DICE has proven, in how they develop Battlefield, as far as being able to do air, land, sea combat, all the way up to F-18s fighting ... They've been able to demonstrate through the Frostbite tech and through their design capabilities and talent that they can create these huge, epic set-piece wars. That's kind of the dream of Battlefront."

"But they're not just going to ape what we've seen in the past," he adds. "They're going to bring their own sensibilities and design ideas. We want to innovate. We want to try new things."

"There's a lot of new stuff that we're looking at too. From our perspective, it's capturing that epic, Star Wars, all-out huge scale. That's what we'll go after."

Based on what Gibeau said, it seems like the next Star Wars: Battlefront game will more or less be a Star Wars themed adaptation of Battlefield 4, with all the shiny graphics and expansive gameplay options that would entail. And honestly? That's absolutely what we want from Star Wars: Battlefront. We'll reserve judgement on the game until it's hit retail, but for now we stand cautiously optimistic.

Don't 'eff this up EA. The hopes of a million nerds ride on DICE getting this one right.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/18/star-wars-battlefront-ea-on-why-dice-is-a-perfect-fit?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ign%2Farticles+%28IGN+All+Articles%29]

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Not having played Battlefield 4, I have to ask. Does it have third person? If not, and then DICE goes and copies B4 for Battlefront, I'm gonna be pissed off.

Although honestly I'm still on the 'Battlefront isn't dead' high.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
'Cause they'd come forward and say "we're concerned about who we gave this insanely highly anticipated game to", right?

All I hear is PR speak.

BUT, that being said, DICE has yet to severely disappoint, so... I'm willing to be it'll at least be good.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
While I love the Battlefield games, I don't want Battlefront to turn out to be a Battlefield clone with a Star Wars skin. But that's what I'm afraid DICE will do. They need to get this right, they are reviving a much loved franchise, getting it right will earn them a lot of praise, getting it wrong however... I don't even want to think about the reactions.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
When reading quickly, "Battlefield" and "Battlefront" don't even register as distinct words for me. XP

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
the next Star Wars: Battlefront game will more or less be a Star Wars themed adaptation of Battlefield 4, with all the shiny graphics and expansive gameplay options that would entail. And honestly? That's absolutely what we want from Star Wars: Battlefront.
That's not what I want. If I wanted that I'd buy Battlefield 4 instead. I want Star Wars Battlefront 3 because I genuinely liked the original Star War Battlefront and want to see a sequel to that game. I enjoyed the gameplay and the tone and the way everything worked and those are the reasons why I wanted another one at all.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Everybody knew that DICE would work on it as soon as EA acquired the exclusive Star Wars games license. I don't even know why they have to come out and defend DICE. For once, not a lot of people have a problem with what they're doing.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I really want them to manage a good balanced singleplayer round. Battlefront 2 had it perfect the way the rounds were set so your team were always slightly inferior to the other team, and were constantly slowly losing ground, it meant you had to constantly be pushing forward and could never sit on the sidelines and also never achieved absolute domination over the enemy, they were always advancing somewhere on the map and so were you.

And of course obligatory cry for 3rd Person and Space battles, they are central to a good Battlefront.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
I love, love, love, love boobs (yeah, fooled you) and also the Battlefront games. But DICE in it's current state and being whipped into shape by EA let's me fear for the worst. But again, time will tell.

Edit: I'm almost sure that DICE is going to make a hell of a game. But then some slimy executive of EA rears it's ugly head and will say: 'Hey guys, don't forget to leave about 30% out of the game, because well, DLC of course gnagnagna'

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I guess we'll not be getting BF2143 any time soon then. Sigh. Battlefront is just one of those games that passsd me by after I stopped caring about Star Wars. For me this is very disapointing, however DICE are the best multi-player devs currently after the disaster of Brink.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
If 1313 had to get the axe for this game to be made, it was a great sacrifice. Still hoping it can be rescued from death, and given a cool sith name.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Yay I can't wait for the 5 exclusive DLC packs, microtransactions, and origin exclusive deals to squeeze any hope for this game I once had.

To me even if they make this game battlefront as I knew and loved it is long dead. This is more like a "modern" reboot which I have a feeling will play a lot slower paced and lots of grey.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Something tells me they won't be calling George Lucas for consultation either :p
Smart move.

All in all, while I'm not a huge Battlefield fan (and I never played the multiplayer Battlefront, although I did play a lot of single player), I can see Battlefield 4 and Battlefront use pretty much the same game with different skins with both working really well (especially if they add bots to increase the size of the teams). The original two Battlefronts were, for the most part, decent, but, in retrospect, a tad underwhelming, with very little progression (yes, I know you could get some better stuff, but it never quite got to the "you unlocked x gun" feeling of achievement that makes the Battlefield and CoD games particularly long lasting).

All in all, I'm hopeful about this pairing.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Most people probably knew DICE were a good choice for the franchise. I mean, Battlefront is mainly about shooting stuff, with no real depth or complication. That's pretty much Battlefield to me if I'm honest.

Don't get me wrong, from a technical standpoint DICE are one of the best studios in the freaking world, but they sway too much towards the 'ooh shiny' and not enough on the story and characters for my liking.

GAunderrated said:
and lots of grey.
You mean a bit like this:

You can't pretend like BF1 and 2 had the most vibrant colour pallet beyond neon green, red and blue when a Jedi showed up.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Give DICE whatever shit you want for their singleplayer campaigns, but fuck me if they can't make a good combined arms multiplayer game.

Also, this is someone who doesn't mind playing vanilla BF3. It's still a good and fun game.