Ok that puts to rest any fears i had, thank you news piece! ^^

"Claims EA"

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
bringer of illumination said:
Couldn't they just have shut up

I'd almost forgotten that EA had anything to do with this.

Any time EA says something I instantly become suspicious
Hence why I'm now worried.

This isn't going to end well.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
WouldYouKindly said:
Give DICE whatever shit you want for their singleplayer campaigns, but fuck me if they can't make a good combined arms multiplayer game.

Also, this is someone who doesn't mind playing vanilla BF3. It's still a good and fun game.
I really, really have to disagree there. Most of the destruction capabilities were rendered moot by a massive overabundance of indestructible walls and objects, way too many non-open corridor-filled maps, guns often felt very similar (especially the sniper rifles), the balance was designed around hard-counters rather than soft ones (tanks vs infantry being a prime example), Engineer was very overpowered, the entire concept of weapons being only unlockable with real-world money; the list goes on. I honestly cannot say I'm not worried about the new Battlefront when these same people are the one's making it, especially when it risks homogenization due to the publisher.

I don't want a Battlefront game to seem like a serious military shooter in any way. I like my spacefights and non-AR / non-ironsight based gameplay.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
If DICE turn this into a BF4 reskin... No.
I don't care too much about the third person perspective, but if it has battlefield gameplay... No, I think I'll pass. Sure the core of the gameplay - capturing bases to reduce enemy tickets - should stay the same, but the shooting should not be like the Battlefield series. That would make SWBF suck. Hard.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Earnest Cavalli said:
Based on what Gibeau said, it seems like the next Star Wars: Battlefront game will more or less be a Star Wars themed adaptation of Battlefield 4, with all the shiny graphics and expansive gameplay options that would entail. And honestly? That's absolutely what we want from Star Wars: Battlefront. We'll reserve judgement on the game until it's hit retail, but for now we stand cautiously optimistic.
Except... what if that's -not- what we want? I can't speak for everyone but... I don't want a Battlefield Star Wars mod. We have that. It's called First Strike. It's for BF2142. I want a Battlefront sequel -- something that updates the gameplay so it actually has things like physics, intelligent AI, and balanced weaponry while still retaining that distinct aesthetic feel that no other shooter so far has come close to. It's probably the only shooter in ages besides Deus Ex: HR that involved both third person and first person shooting that I played.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
V da Mighty Taco said:
WouldYouKindly said:
Give DICE whatever shit you want for their singleplayer campaigns, but fuck me if they can't make a good combined arms multiplayer game.

Also, this is someone who doesn't mind playing vanilla BF3. It's still a good and fun game.
I really, really have to disagree there. Most of the destruction capabilities were rendered moot by a massive overabundance of indestructible walls and objects, way too many non-open corridor-filled maps, guns often felt very similar (especially the sniper rifles), the balance was designed around hard-counters rather than soft ones (tanks vs infantry being a prime example), Engineer was very overpowered, the entire concept of weapons being only unlockable with real-world money; the list goes on. I honestly cannot say I'm not worried about the new Battlefront when these same people are the one's making it, especially when it risks homogenization due to the publisher.

I don't want a Battlefront game to seem like a serious military shooter in any way. I like my spacefights and non-AR / non-ironsight based gameplay.
...but it's being done by an entirely separate studio? I mean, yeah, still reason for concern but it isn't DICE in Europe, it's DICE LA, an entirely new studio.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Color me cautiously optimistic. It's a new Star Wars Battlefront. That's enough cause for joy. And I'd love to see them expand on Galactic Conquest Mode. Even make it support multiple players via the internet and good times WILL be had.

And DICE is a pretty solid studio. There are others that I would have higher praise for, but when it comes to this, I think this is probably the best we could hope for.

Still, show me some gameplay. Until then, I'll just wait and watch. Until then, I'm not sold.

Apr 28, 2008
They better keep the third person view.

They BETTER fucking keep the third person view.

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
Um which DICE is making this game? Is it the Real DICE Studios in Stockholm or DICE LA which is made up of mostly new people and ex medal of honour warfighter people?

If it's the former then my hopes are raised, if it's the latter then this doesn't give me much faith.

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
GAunderrated said:
and lots of grey.
You mean a bit like this:

You can't pretend like BF1 and 2 had the most vibrant colour pallet beyond neon green, red and blue when a Jedi showed up.
Go look at screens of the Kashyyk, Felucia, Endor and Yavin maps. I never played Battlefront 1 but number 2 had plenty of color in it when the maps were based off of places that had color in them.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
For god sake, EA Maybe an evil company, but the company's that are owned by them still make good games, anyone forget dragon age origins and dead space? Battlefield is generally well received to.

As long as it stays 3rd person, with the option of first person, it will be true to the battlefront games, battlefront didn't do anything that no other shooter hasn't done before, it just done them better. Don't get me wrong they were good games and fun as hell, but they weren't anything special...

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Ok? Nobody has said it? Ahem*

"I felt a great disturbance in The Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced typing on the Internet with a speed faster than light speed and an anger heating the suns of Tatooine. I fear something terrible has happened".

Ok, I just had to make the bad joke of the day.

I just hope Mirror's edge 2 and this turn out ok. However, this is more of a "Wait and see" approach.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
romanator0 said:
Go look at screens of the Kashyyk, Felucia, Endor and Yavin maps. I never played Battlefront 1 but number 2 had plenty of color in it when the maps were based off of places that had color in them.

Felucia looks wonderful, but the rest are just dark green and brown.

Don't get me wrong, the UI is wonderfully neon which is nice, but as for the levels themselves, they aren't exactly pushing the colour pallet in terms of vibrancy. Which I suppose is kind of a good thing because it makes the UI stand out even more.

Anyway, point is the old games don't exactly look great themselves in terms of colour vibrancy (from what I've seen on Google, I can't remember what they look like because I didn't play a lot of Battlefront).

But if you can find better screens then be my guest. I'll happily hold my hands up.

Actually I think I still have Battlefront 1 or 2 lying around somewhere, I should dig it out and give it another go.

Mar 26, 2008
I hope they retain the 3rd person view and the Dark Trooper. I love jump-jetting over a wall and spamming someone with the scattergun before they even register surprise.

And I sure to God hope they don't make Battlefront, Battlefield with Star Wars skins. The vehicle and environment destruction will be boss though.