Star Wars Comics Leaving Dark Horse for Marvel in 2015

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars Comics Leaving Dark Horse for Marvel in 2015

After more than 20 years at Dark Horse, the Star Wars franchise will be moving to Marvel Comics in 2015.

In 1991 Dark Horse Comics took over the Star Wars license and, for more than 20 years, has been the home for readers looking to add a bit of Force to their comic hobby. Many suspected, however, that that might change when Disney, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94313-Disney-to-Buy-Marvel-Comics>the owner of Marvel Comics, bought Lucasfilm and Star Wars at <a href=http://starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-and-marvel-join-forces-to-publish-star-wars-comics-and-graphic-novels.html>the tail end of 2012. Today, it's now been confirmed that 2014 will be the last year that Dark Horse will publish Star Wars comics and that Marvel will be taking over in 2015.

"Dark Horse Comics published exceptional Star Wars comics for over 20 years, and we will always be grateful for their enormous contributions to the mythos, and the terrific partnership that we had," said Carol Roeder, director of Lucasfilm franchise publishing. "In 2015, the cosmic adventures of Luke, Han, Leia, and Chewbacca will make the lightspeed jump back to Marvel, to begin a new age of adventures within the Star Wars universe."

The staff at Marvel, in turn, is understandably excited to be regaining access to one of the world's most popular franchises, which it originally published in comic form back in 1977. "The perennial brand of Star Wars is one of the most iconic in entertainment history," said Marvel publisher/president Dan Buckley. "We are honored to have the opportunity to bring our creative talent pool to continue, and expand Star Wars into galaxies far, far away."

Perhaps the biggest question that rises out of this perhaps not unexpected shift, is what will happen to current ongoing Star Wars titles. Just personally, I love what Brian Wood has been doing with his recent Star Wars series and I would hate to see it cut short. It's possible that I might not even have anything to worry about. Buckley said in his statements that Marvel will "continue the publication of Star Wars comic books and graphic novels" after it takes over in 2015. That said, that's still vague and there's no telling if the company will continue with ongoing series, or start up with a fresh batch of its own.

Source: <a href=http://starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-and-marvel-join-forces-to-publish-star-wars-comics-and-graphic-novels.html>Star Wars

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I was wondering when this was going to happen. It's sad really. Star Wars was a huge part of Dark Horse's revenue, I imagine. Now Star Wars comics get to be about yearly events all the time!

HOORAY!

-_________________-

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I'm kind of torn. I did like a lot of the Dark Horse comics, but they did occasionally cancel a series with no resolution (KOTOR being the cancellation that really annoyed me).

I'll wait to see what Marvel does with it before I pass judgement.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Scars Unseen said:
I'm kind of torn. I did like a lot of the Dark Horse comics, but they did occasionally cancel a series with no resolution (KOTOR being the cancellation that really annoyed me).

I'll wait to see what Marvel does with it before I pass judgement.

All comic publishers do this if the sales are low it's the way the medium has always been.
this is not just comics but all entertainment.
except sometimes, when you cancel something because girls like it and boys don't(as much)

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
No kidding, I'm only surprised that didn't happen imminently as part of the purchase by Disney. I hope they hire over some of the creative team.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Hm...I think it's all going to depend on what path the new movies take as to whether or not current running series will be continued. I doubt that Marvel is going to want to have active lore out there contradicting the films. I'm very curious to see how this will be handled.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
It's a shame for Dark Horse. I've never really read any of the Star Wars comics because I honestly don't care about the expanded universe stuff outside of the occasional video game, but losing a cash cow like that is going to sting. Hopefully they can weather it though. I'm sure they had plenty of advance warning and should have been prepared for this the moment the sale to Disney went through.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So does that mean we gonna have a crossing over e.g. The Avenger in Star Wars? Who want to see Captain America or Spiderman taking on Darth Vader?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
So long as they don't try to overwrite and replace Dark Horses comics, I'm not too upset. Though no more Knight Errant will suck, that was actually really good.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fappy said:
I was wondering when this was going to happen. It's sad really. Star Wars was a huge part of Dark Horse's revenue, I imagine. Now Star Wars comics get to be about yearly events all the time!

HOORAY!

-_________________-
Personally, I can't wait for the more trivial crossovers. You know, Spider-Man swinging past the Death Star, when....

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
So does that mean we gonna have a crossing over e.g. The Avenger in Star Wars? Who want to see Captain America or Spiderman taking on Darth Vader?
At least we'd finally have the answer to whether or not a lightsaber could cut through Cap's shield!

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
It makes sense due to Disney owning Star Wars and Marvel studios, but I feel bad for Dark Horse. I don't really read comics, but I recognize their brand. They always seemed just under the surface of fame and fortune, just kind of hanging out, doing it's thing. Now they just lost a huge chunk of their lively hood.

I just hope Marvel doesn't do anything stupid. Although getting the writers for Ultimate Spider-Man to do Anakin would fit pretty well what with the teenage angst.