Star Wars: Episode VII Lands John Williams

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars: Episode VII Lands John Williams

John Williams, who composed the scores for Star Wars I-VI, is coming back for Episode VII.

There are more than a few films for which music is an ancillary thing. It chugs along in the background, barely noticed save to play compliment to the main attraction of the visuals, stories and characters. In Star Wars, the music is an arguable character in its own right. You could be walked into the theater blindfolded and with the first notes of the score know exactly what you're about to sit through. Even in the prequel trilogy, black holes of film that they are, the music stands out as being undeniably Star Wars. That definitive quality is something owed to <a href=http://www.johnwilliams.org/reference/biography.html>composer John Williams, whose lengthy career has included providing scores for Star Wars episodes one through six. Now, it's been revealed that Williams will be returning for Star Wars: Episode VII.

The news came at the ongoing Star Wars- Celebration Europe event where Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy made the announcement. A video was then released where Williams discussed his role in the new film. "I'm just happy to be continuing to be a part of the whole fun of doing it," he said. He then affirmed that, though he has yet to see a script, he's confident his experience with Episode VII will be comparable to what he's done in the past. "In each case I've been able to use the earlier material and create new material that would co-exists with it and hopefully feel like a part of the fabric of the film."

Williams also commented on the accumulating talent backing the film, discussing a meal he shared with Kathleen Kennedy and Episode VII-director J.J. Abrams. "They are two people that I think are perfectly chosen to continue George Lucas's great odyssey. They're both young, they're both extremely gifted, they have tremendous energy," he said. He had particular compliments for Abrams. "He's had some great success with large scale projects...He brings with him a lot of expertise."

Williams return is without a doubt going to be a boon for the new film and will likely help, at least on the audio side, in making the Episode VII feel like a proper sequel to its predecessor, the now thirty years old Return of the Jedi. Williams involvement may also surprise some who perhaps had not expected him, at the age of 81, to be up to the arguably monumental task of scoring another Star Wars film. For our part, we're just happy to see him back and hope that he's able to continue his work on the franchise through the entirety of the forthcoming trilogy.

Source: <a href=http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-celebration-europe-2013-john-williams-to-score-star-wars-episode-vii.html>Star Wars

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Awesome. Even if the film sucks, we're going to get a fantastic new soundtrack out of it.

Seriously, there are few greater joys than sticking on the Star Wars soundtracks at full volume when there's no one else in. It's not weird.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
YES, one of the best movie composers is returning to one of the franchises that made him and his music famous.

(I really like his work)

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Ah, some legitimately good news about the next Star Wars.
There has been bad news? :p

Disney now own it, with what they did to Avengers i have no problem with that.

Abrams, isn't a bad director, they could of picked better admittedly but they could of picked worse as well.

Zac Effron and Ryan Gosling are pretty decent actors, despite the slack Zac gets, he is a very good actor.

Harrison, Mark and Carrie Fisher are coming back which is a huge plus

And now we know the music is going to be on par with the rest of films...

Did i miss anything? xD

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
This means we're going to have to sit through another obnoxiously loud opening scrawl doesn't it?

Who am I kidding, I'm not going to watch these. The best Star Wars movies came out before I was even born, I just can't keep pretending that I like the franchise anymore. I might get the soundtrack at the very least, if he holds up.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
arc1991 said:
thaluikhain said:
Ah, some legitimately good news about the next Star Wars.
Zac Effron and Ryan Gosling are pretty decent actors, despite the slack Zac gets, he is a very good actor.
Did i miss something? Are Zac Effron and Ryan Gosling set to act in Star Wars VII?
(I wouldn´t mind it, i liked Zac Effron in "Me and Orson Welles and Ryan Gosling seems to choose some decent films even though he´s a bit spaced out at times :p)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Good. No one else could do it. Certainly not Hans Zimmer and his same old crap with overused and obnoxiously loud trumpets.

As for Ryan Gosling being in the new films, I think it's a good idea. The guy looks like he could be a good Jedi and a good Sith.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So there is going to be at least one undeniably good thing about the sequels. I'm still not sure I will bother watching them, but the soundtrack will probably be worth a purchase at the very least. I'll make up my own head-movie whilst listening to it.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well that's good news. Even if the movie doesn't turn out very good, at least I get to listen to more of this man's musical genius.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
So the guy who has made every soundtrack for every star wars movie ever made is going to do more soundtrack work for star wars?

Here's another shocker. Activision is making another COD.

Oct 2, 2012
Racecarlock said:
So the guy who has made every soundtrack for every star wars movie ever made is going to do more soundtrack work for star wars?

Here's another shocker. Activision is making another COD.
What? I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that claim without some serious sources.
[/joke]

OT: Sweet. I love the work he's done. His score for the original trilogy is probably one of the earliest pieces of music I remember. This is good news even if I'm not too excited for new Star Wars movies.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
Well this is good news. Hopefully this means we'll get some original music injected into the Star Wars franchise instead of hearing the same five tracks in every piece of media since the films came out.

Edit: Wait, I just remembered who I'm talking about. Forget about even the slightest possibility of anything resembling originality.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
It sounds strange to me, but with all the good news coming out about these new films, they might actually be good. Colour me cautiously optimistic.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Mmm, I'm actually a bit torn on this.
Williams is a great composer, no doubt, and having him will tie the new movies to the old ones with all the usual scores and big moment flourishes.
It's the safe bet.

But I was kind of hoping they'd take a chance on someone new. Kind of give the new films their own identity.