Star Wars: Episode VII: Leaked Photos from Tatooine?

Josh Engen

New member
Aug 19, 2013
569
0
0
Star Wars: Episode VII: Leaked Photos from Tatooine?



Abu Dhabi could be the new Tatooine.

Earlier this month, Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn revealed that filming had already begun on Star Wars: Episode VII, but the movie's set locations remain a tightly held secret. However, a few leaked photos from a desert in Abu Dhabi are fueling the rumor mill.

The photos were taken on Tuesday by The National's Mona Al Marzooqi. They aren't particularly interesting, unless you're a big fan of tents and ladders. But workers can be seen rolling a large mystery disk, which looks aesthetically similar to many of the elements from the previous films.

Some fans believe that the disk resembles C3P0's escape pod from A New Hope. Others think that it looks like the foot of an AT-AT Walker. But I think that it looks like a gigantic mystery disk. And I'm not willing to speculate any further, because there's really no way to tell if this is actually a Star Wars set.

Though, it kind of does look the bottom of an AT-AT's foot... That other piece could be the top. I've attached a diagram to justify my ridiculous speculation.

Star Wars: Episode VII will hit theaters in December of 2015.

Source: The National [http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/film/star-wars-episode-vii-evidence-in-abu-dhabi-desert]

[gallery=2370]

Permalink
 

Owyn_Merrilin

New member
May 22, 2010
7,370
0
0
That looks nothing like the escape pod from Star Wars, but it does look a lot like a n AT-AT foot. Not only are the size and shape right, but the object on the left looks like the part immediately above the base -- which I think is what the third picture is pointing out.

P.S.: Yep, didn't see how heavily the thumbnails were cropped. That's definitely what they were pointing out.
 

CriticalMiss

New member
Jan 18, 2013
2,024
0
0
So if this is true are we to believe that there will be a scene taking part in a desert that involves a giant metal foot? I would have thought that the new movies would be crammed full of CGI so it seems odd that they would make a physical prop for one. Unless it is just there as some kind of easter egg/nod to the previous movies in the background.
 

thetoddo

New member
May 18, 2010
214
0
0
Maybe Disney is going to go with more practical sets for these ones considering the backlash on Eps 1-3. It's not like they don't have the money and they'll certainly make it back.
 

Avaholic03

New member
May 11, 2009
1,520
0
0
Wouldn't it be hilarious if that tent in the desert actually held something far more interesting, like proof of alien life, but the best the internet can do is speculate about the new Star Wars.
 

Nowhere Man

New member
Mar 10, 2013
422
0
0
Isn't that the ladder Han Solo used to climb atop the Falcon for repairs in the beginning of Episode V?
 

Scribblesense

New member
Jan 30, 2013
169
0
0
Avaholic03 said:
Wouldn't it be hilarious if that tent in the desert actually held something far more interesting, like proof of alien life, but the best the internet can do is speculate about the new Star Wars.
I have it on good authority that the tent does contain alien life, but those aliens are Gungans.
 

CriticalMiss

New member
Jan 18, 2013
2,024
0
0
Nowhere Man said:
Isn't that the ladder Han Solo used to climb atop the Falcon for repairs in the beginning of Episode V?
I think you might be right. Now that I look closer I think that air conditioning unit on the left might be from Jabba the Hutt's place.
 

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
5,265
0
0
Not a foot, it's not even completely circle! -.-

Door maybe, or just a weird wall decoration (this is Starwars) Plus...Empire? On Tatooine? If memory serves me right this is set after the Yuzahn Vong war (was said on here a while ago can't remember where) and if that's the case...NO EMPIRE!

Unless the New Republic are using them.
 

TT Kairen

New member
Nov 10, 2011
178
0
0
To those speculating the entire movie would be all CG, they've already made official statements saying they're going to use a LOT more practical effects.

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7-practical-effects/

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/J-J-Abrams-Wants-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-Feel-Real-39498.html
 

Someone Depressing

New member
Jan 16, 2011
2,417
0
0
It could be the damn rock of Jesus's tomb, and people would be sad it wasn't from Star Wars.

But really, the only thing I particularly care about with this movie is if Goerge Lucas is gonna be allowed to get... "crazy" again.
 

Blaze the Dragon

New member
Jan 8, 2010
127
0
0
You see, I can already tell these movies will be better than the prequels (not that making a better movie is really that hard) because if this is a set, then that proves that at least one scene won't take place in a green-screen room.
 

Quazimofo

New member
Aug 30, 2010
1,370
0
0
arc1991 said:
Not a foot, it's not even completely circle! -.-

Door maybe, or just a weird wall decoration (this is Starwars) Plus...Empire? On Tatooine? If memory serves me right this is set after the Yuzahn Vong war (was said on here a while ago can't remember where) and if that's the case...NO EMPIRE!

Unless the New Republic are using them.
Well you gotta remember that these new movies are more or less going to ignore existing cannon, just like the clone wars. Not to mention that, based off of the director, what we've heard about the casting, and history the movie is going to be tying heavily into the original trilogy. It's entirely likely they'll do the "remnants of the empire" shtick but decades after it was concluded in the EU.

I wish they wouldn't mind you, but I'd be surprised if they gave anything more than a shoutout to the existing extended universe stuff.


As for the photo itself, I just saw it as a heavy door. It seems to have a flat bottom so I don't think it's an AT-AT foot unless it's going to be appearing as someone cutting it down in a junkyard or something.
 

Grimh

New member
Feb 11, 2009
673
0
0
My first thought was that it was a door of some kind for like an ancient jedi/sith-vault/tomb or whatever, but I guess a foot is good too.
I really hope these films turn out well in any case, I guess we could get three more RedLetterMedia/Mr. Plinkett reviews out of it if they crash and burn though.

CriticalMiss said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I do believe they have stated that they are gonna rely way more on practical effects and sets/props in these new movies.
Now granted "way more" than practically zero isn't really saying much.
But I'd still say it's a good sign that they get it a little better than George Lucas did.

Speaking of-
Someone Depressing said:
I do believe George doesn't really have anything to do with the production anymore apart from maybe some minor consultation I think.
I think J.J. Abrams have more creative control at this point, for better or worse.
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
17,486
1,704
118
Grimh said:
My first thought was that it was a door of some kind for like an ancient jedi/sith-vault/tomb or whatever, but I guess a foot is good too.
I really hope these films turn out well in any case, I guess we could get three more RedLetterMedia/Mr. Plinkett reviews out of it if they crash and burn though.

CriticalMiss said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I do believe they have stated that they are gonna rely way more on practical effects and sets/props in these new movies.
Now granted "way more" than practically zero isn't really saying much.
But I'd still say it's a good sign that they get it a little better than George Lucas did
"Isn't saying much" indeed, I remember how Indiana Jones 4 was going to be "like the original movies" and then boom Shia LaBeeouefoeoufeouf is swinging across CGI vines while battling CGI monkeys in a CGI jungle.
 

Grimh

New member
Feb 11, 2009
673
0
0
Johnny Novgorod said:
"Isn't saying much" indeed, I remember how Indiana Jones 4 was going to be "like the original movies" and then boom Shia LaBeeouefoeoufeouf is swinging across CGI vines while battling CGI monkeys in a CGI jungle.
Ah, but my second point was that ol' George really has nothing to do with the films anymore.
Put those two points together and there is cause for, I think, at least a slimmer of (A New?) hope.
 

Neverhoodian

New member
Apr 2, 2008
3,832
0
0
Goddammit, we're going back to "the ass end of space" [footnote]Free internet high five [http://www.maniacworld.com/internet-high-five.jpg] for everyone that gets the reference[/footnote]again? For such a seemingly insignificant planet we sure spend a lot of time stuck there.

Mix things up, people! You have an entire galaxy to work with, for crying out loud!