Star Wars Episode VII Leaked Set Pictures Show New Creature, Tatooine?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Star Wars Episode VII Leaked Set Pictures Show New Creature, Tatooine?

The leaked Star Wars Episode VII show a very Tatooine-style desert.

Star Wars Episode VII movie would return to the desert planet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133027-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-Takes-Place-30-Years-After-Original-Trilogy].

Check out the full gallery below:

[gallery=2603]

TMZ's sources report that the new giant alien thing was manned by 5 men inside its belly ... and was used in two scenes taking place in what looks like a Tatooine marketplace. The fact that this is an actual physical thing that someone built gives credibility to reports that the producers intend to use a whole lot less CGI this time around.

Source: TMZ [http://www.tmz.com/2014/06/02/star-wars-episode-7-set-photos-secret-pics-new-creature/]

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Well this looks promising.
Less cgi green screen effects more props and practical effects.
This might actually get decent performances out of the actors.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Why are we going back to Tatoonie? Why can't we explore different planets why is it always the same planets.

Redflash

Mar 21, 2012
Akisa said:
Why are we going back to Tatoonie? Why can't we explore different planets why is it always the same planets.
This, this, a thousand times this. Whilst I am overall very optimistic about the new films (after the prequels, what the hell is the worst that could happen?), I can't help but taking it as a bad sign that the creative minds behind this really couldn't come up with something more impressive than 'Tatooine again!'

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Ok. Now I'm beginning to get real excited for this. The whole real world, lived in look seems to be back in force (hehe) and I got a good A New Hope vibe from these pics alone. I'm going to try and avoid any new pics and spoilers from here on out. Yeah good luck with that.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Akisa said:
Because Disney needs to show us familiar places in their take. Franchise changed hands and the timeline has changed(Expanded Universe is dead, welcome to Disney Universe), showing us familiar locations under the effects of those changes is the most logical thing to do.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Actually going to use animatronics rather than CGI? Colour me intrigued...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
On the plus side: practical effects. A very good sign. Means you'll have to get creative and careful with what you do with filming. I still say the space battle in Return of the Jedi blows every single CGI fight in the prequels out of the water.

On the down side:
Akisa said:
Pretty much that. Even if the Expanded Universe is dead (I, for one, will never accept that), there are still plenty of planets out there worth visiting. Kessel, Korriban (or whatever they call it in The Clone Wars), Kashyyyk--sorry, but the prequels screwed up by just showing us a freaking beach.

My guess as for why we are returning here for the sake of in-universe has to do with the title for the new film. It is called, 'The Ancient Evil' so I'm betting that something, or someone, is buried in the sands of Tatooine. It is terribly cliche--the hidden, forgotten thing buried under the desert sands--but it does make sense for a story-telling standpoint.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
I don't think that's tatooine. If it is the sand's the wrong color compared to previous films. But it also doesn't make sense to have 2 desert planets. So it probably is tatooine in the end.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Practical props and effects, you just moved up a notch is my book new Star Wars films... you on notch one.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
yes lets showcase the most boring planet. Oh well not like they wont have a new planet to show, with naboo being dead now, at least I hope they show a new one.

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
For such a 'backwater' planet, we do seem to see it a heck of a lot.

Why does every important person have to come from Tatooine? Can't they come from Correllia or Coruscant or some world where the people aren't munching on mushrooms from their moisture vaporators 24/7?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Akisa said:
Because like the new Star Trek, I fear this movie will try to bank as much on nostalgia as possible. Why else do you think they dragged in the corpses of the original cast?

But anyway, practical creature effects... Who thought we'd ever see that in a Star Wars movie again?

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Well, considering how many people were posing for shots it shouldn't be hard to work out who took and probably "leaked" the photos... Chalk me up as sceptical on the claim that it's really a "leak." Either way, looks pretty cool. Pity it's Tatooine though, a different planet would be nice.

Rag Doll

Aug 16, 2008
Akisa said:
When I started thinking about this, I realized that there really weren't that many planets that required location shootings. most places are just indoor sets and green screen. Still, they better come up with a real reason to actually go to taatoine, and not just throw it in just 'cause Star Wars...(which is what this feels like)

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
I still say the space battle in Return of the Jedi blows every single CGI fight in the prequels out of the water.
That's because almost every scene involving action and cgi in the prequels was an impossible to follow visual abortion that had no business ever being rendered, let alone shown on theater screens.

I wouldn't get too ahead of ourselves in hoping for practical effects over cgi. A few props and sets does not a practical effects driven movie make. Until the final movie is released we have no way of knowing just how much shit their going to render on screen in addition to the practical stuff.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
I still say the space battle in Return of the Jedi blows every single CGI fight in the prequels out of the water.
That's probably the best part of any of the movies. Just swarming fighters and lumbering capital ships slugging it out. And it all looked fantastic because their model makers and cameramen were excellent at what they did.

On topic: It's great to see actual set pieces, props, and practical effects being used. I'm still not sold on these new films, and am butthurt about the EU, but less green screens is a step in the right direction.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Redflash said:
Akisa said:
This, this, a thousand times this. Whilst I am overall very optimistic about the new films (after the prequels, what the hell is the worst that could happen?), I can't help but taking it as a bad sign that the creative minds behind this really couldn't come up with something more impressive than 'Tatooine again!'
Because they have to get spice somewhere.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Sol_HSA said:
Redflash said:
Akisa said:
Because they have to get spice somewhere.
It's Tatooine, not Arrakis. Star Wars gets their Spice from the dwarf planet Kessel, which happens to sit just beyond the event horizon of a cluster of artificial black holes called The Maw. Except The Maw doesn't exist anymore because Disney.

Dark Horse comics actually had a bulletin letter put up in their Star Wars department saying "Stay the hell away from Tatooine", because too many writers were using it as a shorthand and a copout for creative locations.