Star Wars: Episode VII Takes Place 30 Years After Original Trilogy

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
And what's the bet that a large important portion of it takes place on Tatooine?

I don't know why Luke was so dissmissive of living on that barren desert planet of canonically no value, every single powerful person in the universe has stopped there at some point in their journey to consult an ancient macguffin/chase a dangerous criminal/Get eaten by a tentacle vagina.

It's the hip-happeningist place in the galaxy according to extended lore!
Or maybe they'll reveal that Tatooine will eventually be called Arrakis.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
No real surprise here. Abrams said he wanted to do a "passing the torch" kind of story and, honestly, with the age of the original trio they had to set it a few decades after [i/]Jedi[/i]. Now, what happened in those 30 years? I don't think Disney is going to change much - they paid $4 [i/]billion[/i] for the universe (and erasing too much will tick off too many fans). All they're gonna do is lose some stand-alone and/or stupid stories, change some of the silly details in well-referenced ones.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
SNCommand said:
I can already see it now, four white young adults swirling lasers around with lens flares all over, kissing and screwing each other, fighting against the most generic and forgettable villains ever

Think I just made myself gag

thanks for that image burnt into my mind at the begining of the day.... I've gotta work now ;-)

OT: Lost all interest in this as soon as Abrams got involoved.
He already ruined Star Trek for me, now he'd gonna do the same with my other childhood love!

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
I'm gonna call it right now: a new jedi order. That book series is what they are going to use. At least I hope... If they just say that all the books are non canon. Then they can fuck right off. Then again they could fuck right off with episode I-III so yea... nothing much changing there.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
We already know that Carrie Fisher is one of the cast, it's safe to assume that Han, Luke and Leia are going to be in it.

Meinos Kaen

Jun 17, 2009
putowtin said:
SNCommand said:
I can already see it now, four white young adults swirling lasers around with lens flares all over, kissing and screwing each other, fighting against the most generic and forgettable villains ever

Think I just made myself gag

thanks for that image burnt into my mind at the begining of the day.... I've gotta work now ;-)

OT: Lost all interest in this as soon as Abrams got involoved.
He already ruined Star Trek for me, now he'd gonna do the same with my other childhood love!
Well, actually, if you think about it, JJ may be the perfect Director for this. Think about it. The criticism and why most people feel that the Star Trek movies were crap is because they don't focus on exploration like the original series, but more on action, intrigue, and so on... Which is exactly what most people felt was missing from I through III. Too much talking, too many annoying characters, not enough cool stuff.

Alhazred

May 10, 2012
I'm actually pretty hyped for this. Loved both new Star Trek movies, and Abrams really can't make a bigger hash of Star Wars than the prequel trilogy already did.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Ukomba said:
I second that. The vong war was getting too dark for me, but was still pretty good. Post vong just got strange.
The Vong War was what drove me away from the EU.

Mostly because they were way too contrived (yeah, I'm complaining about "contrivance" in Star Wars).

But really, the Yuuzhan Vong were just too "perfect" of an enemy for the New Jedi Order to face since they were diametrically opposed to the Jedi in every way. Oppressive, light-saber proof (which made such little sense that they had to reinvent how lightsabers worked), force-proof, and far more numerous than the Jedi.

It's as though the EU writers wrote in too much power for the Jedi. These beings who can effectively do anything: Super Jump, Super Speed, incredibly potent telekinesis, mind-control (or "suggestion"), wields laser swords that can cut through damn near anything...and so they had to invent something very specific just to create tension.

Though as bad as I thought the Vong saga was...what followed was worse.
My dad still reads that stuff, and I thumbed through a few novels while visiting.

Ugh. The melodrama is strong with that crap.

OT: The only content I'd be rather sad to see discarded as canon are the Rogue and Wraith Squadron books...and maybe Kyle Katarn's stuff (though there is some truly stupid contrived shit in his stories).

Everything else can burn for all I care.
Abrams is still heading the films and after seeing his run with Star Trek, I have no hope for the direction Star Wars will take afterwards anyway.

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
I am curious to see how it goes. I'm an EU (novel, never did the comics) guy since the Thrawn novels came out in the mid-90's so I am pretty invested in the Expanded Universe. With that said, I almost hope they throw the whole thing away. I don't want to be watching the movie and the whole time just thinking about what does and doesn't mesh with the expanded universe. I think I can just compartmentalize it off in my brain and just enjoy the new take.

With that said, I am very curious if Jacen and Jaina are going to be in it. If they asked Lucas's opinion at all, I think he would want those two in there. I read some interviews with some writers and Lucas was pretty strict on how those two characters were handled. He was pretty hands off for the most part, but he required a re-write of one of the Vong books because they were going to kill off Jacen.

I don't even see other main stalwarts of the EU surviving this such as Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn, or Ben Skywalker, but Jacen and Jaina....very possible.

If they did use the post Vong war EU for a setting I really wouldn't have a problem with it. I though the premise was okay, just the writers they used were pretty poor at making a cohesive story. There is a good question raised on how to balance the power of the jedi (especially a family of them like the Skywalker/Solo clan) with a government for 'regular' people. It's hard to trust them after pretty much every war in history is a result of Jedi vs Sith squabbles. It's a decent basic story in my eyes.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
As much as I enjoyed Timothy Zahn's trilogy, I found almost all the rest of the post-Episode VI EU stuff to be complete crap. The Courtship of Princess Leia was probably the last nail in that coffin for me and it, truthfully, didn't take many nails to begin with.

Even the few things I did like, such as Stackpole's versions of the X-Wing books and the Dark Forces game sequels added a lot of things that really felt out of place. Ysalamiri? Jerek's Dark Jedi group? Bleh.

I'm very much ok with almost a complete purge of the EU, even the stuff I liked.

A few nods would be nice though. I'd love to see some references and characters still make it back into the light, even if in completely different ways:

Kyle Katarn
Mara Jade
Thrawn
Talon Kaarde
Corran Horn

I have no need for the melodramatic Solo-kids storylines or the Yuuzhan Vong. A lot of the Empire's "Remnant" storylines were overblown and overdone. Good lord, the Eclipse and the Palpa-clone from the Dark Empire comics? Gah.

Oh, and one other rule should go out to all EU writers and to the sequel makers: Stop trying to one-up everything in the movies. Just because there was the Death Star doesn't mean you need to make the super-space ship version of it (Eclipse). Just because there were clones in the past doesn't mean you need to clone prior characters. Just because the force exists doesn't mean you need to blow it out of all proportions (looking at you The Force Unleashed, and almost every book having the word "Darth" in it that isn't written by Drew Karpyshyn).

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Ukomba said:
I second that. The vong war was getting too dark for me, but was still pretty good. Post vong just got strange.
The Vong War was what drove me away from the EU.

Mostly because they were way too contrived (yeah, I'm complaining about "contrivance" in Star Wars).

But really, the Yuuzhan Vong were just too "perfect" of an enemy for the New Jedi Order to face since they were diametrically opposed to the Jedi in every way. Oppressive, light-saber proof (which made such little sense that they had to reinvent how lightsabers worked), force-proof, and far more numerous than the Jedi.

It's as though the EU writers wrote in too much power for the Jedi. These beings who can effectively do anything: Super Jump, Super Speed, incredibly potent telekinesis, mind-control (or "suggestion"), wields laser swords that can cut through damn near anything...and so they had to invent something very specific just to create tension.

Though as bad as I thought the Vong saga was...what followed was worse.
My dad still reads that stuff, and I thumbed through a few novels while visiting.

Ugh. The melodrama is strong with that crap.

OT: The only content I'd be rather sad to see discarded as canon are the Rogue and Wraith Squadron books...and maybe Kyle Katarn's stuff (though there is some truly stupid contrived shit in his stories).

Everything else can burn for all I care.
Abrams is still heading the films and after seeing his run with Star Trek, I have no hope for the direction Star Wars will take afterwards anyway.
I'm not going to argue that. There were parts I liked, but it did hurt my love of the EU. For me, it was where Star Wars lost its sense of fun. The prequels killed the sense of wonder.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Eh. I'm always down for more Star Wars but I really don't want a Twilight/Hunger Games with lightsabers.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Sol_HSA said:
And what's the bet that a large important portion of it takes place on Tatooine?

I don't know why Luke was so dissmissive of living on that barren desert planet of canonically no value, every single powerful person in the universe has stopped there at some point in their journey to consult an ancient macguffin/chase a dangerous criminal/Get eaten by a tentacle vagina.

Now THAT would be a plot twist I would heartily endorse.

"Master Jedi, the Hutts have us surrounded with an entire army, what can we do?"

"SUMMON WORRRRRRRMS!"

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010

"Master Jedi, the Hutts have us surrounded with an entire army, what can we do?"

"SUMMON WORRRRRRRMS!"
Don't you mean: "Make it RAAAAAAIIIIIIN!"?
(I'm terrible, I know)

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Sol_HSA said:

"SUMMON WORRRRRRRMS!"
"We were wrong about the midi-chlorians. It was the Spice all along."

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Sol_HSA said:
Sol_HSA said:

"SUMMON WORRRRRRRMS!"
"We were wrong about the midi-chlorians. It was the Spice all along."
Spice (glitterstim) can give force like powers. ;)

Hunter Woods

Aug 16, 2014
The new Star Wars movies does not take the expanded universe in count. Just to let y'all who was wondering know, the new movies are supposed to be an entirely original story so none of the books plots matter at this point because as far as the new movies are concerned the expanded universe via books never existed