Star Wars: Episode VII Takes Place 30 Years After Original Trilogy

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013

Star Wars: Episode VII will begin shooting at London's Pinewood Studios in May 2014.

Star Wars: Episode VII will be a sequel to the original trilogy. The very fact that it will be Episode VII was a pretty good sign from <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120408-Disney-Acquires-Lucasfilm>the get-go that it was going to take place after the events of Return of the Jedi. That said, the crew behind the film has, up until now, been relatively mum on exactly how long after the original trilogy the new movies would take place. A recent announcement however, has confirmed that the new films will be taking place 30 years after Episode VI.

The news came in release from Lucasfilm announcing that principal photography for the film will be starting this coming May and will be based at Pinewood Studios in London. Starting in May, of course, will give the production about a year and seven months to finish the film for its December 18th, 2015 release date. The plot details were revealed toward the end of the announcement.

"It has also been confirmed that Star Wars: Episode VII is set about 30 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, and will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces," said Lucasfilm. "No further details on casting or plot are available at this time."

It goes without saying, of course, that the "familiar faces" will be the principal cast of the original trilogy whose return to the franchise has long since <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131559-Carrie-Fisher-Confirms-Star-Wars-Cast-Reunion-In-Episode-VII>been confirmed. In fact, it'd probably be safe to say that the 30-year gap between Episode VI and Episode VII is a direct result of their presence in the film. There has to be a reason, after all, for them to not be all young and spry like were at the end of Jedi.

Source: <a href=http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-vii-set-to-roll-cameras-may-2014.html>Star Wars

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
StewShearer said:

"It has also been confirmed that Star Wars: Episode VII is set about 30 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, and will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces," said Lucasfilm.
*falls onto couch in relief*

Oh thank the maker, I thought Abrams was really going to use the original cast as the main protagonists. My confidence in this project is restored.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Considering that Jedi Outcast is set 8 years after RoTJ and Academy set around 10 years or so after, I don't think we'll be able to see Kyle Katarn even make a cameo in this one. That's too bad.

nomaner

May 9, 2012
MrPeanut said:
So just during the Yuuzhan Vong war?
More like 5 years after the Yuuzhan Vong War. (34 ABY, since episode VI is 4 ABY and YZV War ended 29 ABY) From what I read in Wookiepedia, nothing much happened around this time. Good place time to put a new movie in.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
I can already see it now, four white young adults swirling lasers around with lens flares all over, kissing and screwing each other, fighting against the most generic and forgettable villains ever

Think I just made myself gag

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
nomaner said:
MrPeanut said:
More like 5 years after the Yuuzhan Vong War. (34 ABY, since episode VI is 4 ABY and YZV War ended 29 ABY) From what I read in Wookiepedia, nothing much happened around this time. Good place time to put a new movie in.
That is of course assuming they choose to take the Expanded Universe into account at all. They could just choose to ignore it as non-cannon and write the movies as though the books and comics just never happened.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I know they want some connection to the originals, but i want more original stuff. No bullshit adding R2 D2 or C3P0. ll new characters and robots and places. We really dont need a million winks towards the original series to make a new trilogy work.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
SNCommand said:
I can already see it now, four white young adults swirling lasers around with lens flares all over, kissing and screwing each other, fighting against the most generic and forgettable villains ever

Think I just made myself gag
You mean three?

a trio of new young leads
Obviously there will be a comic relief goofy sidekick too, but they aren't likely to be white.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
New Frontiersman said:
nomaner said:
MrPeanut said:
That is of course assuming they choose to take the Expanded Universe into account at all. They could just choose to ignore it as non-cannon and write the movies as though the books and comics just never happened.
I thought that they were redoing the Canon Policy for Star Wars, simplifying it from the M-, T-, C-, and N-Canon levels to just a simple Canon/Non-Canon classification. They're supposed to be going through the entire EU and saying what's happened in the timeline and what hasn't. (Sources: Here, [http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/5285906/official-star-wars-canon-can-now-include-expanded-universe-stories] here, [http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57616851-1/who-decides-star-wars-canon-meet-the-story-group/] here, [http://www.geek.com/news/disney-appoints-committee-to-determine-new-official-star-wars-canon-1581803/] and here [http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/star-wars-expanded-universe-content-will-now-be-considered-canon-alongside-the-feature-films]. I realize that my sources are a bit biased in opinion on this, but the fact remains, it is happening)

With that in mind, it would be logical to assume that there could be EU references in Episode VII, or even EU material included outright, but the question would be what. Some of the immediately post-RotJ stuff like the Thrawn Trilogy and the X-Wing series would make sense to keep in, as it likely wouldn't affect much in Ep. VII; the same would probably go for some of the pre-PM stuff like KotOR and the like. The big thorn would be the Vong War, considering that this movie is supposed to take place in its aftermath, and whether it's canonical or not. Considering that the scriptwriter wanted to "start fresh", I wouldn't put money on it, but you never know.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Okay, okay, this could work. Disney could easily still fit the Expanded Universe lore into the movies. Just give them a little nod ("Hey, remember that war with those aliens?") and then move right along with their own story. I still think it would be totally amazing if the new characters turned out to be Jaina, Ben, and...I don't know, Jag? Or Ben and Tahiri maybe.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
And what's the bet that a large important portion of it takes place on Tatooine?

I don't know why Luke was so dissmissive of living on that barren desert planet of canonically no value, every single powerful person in the universe has stopped there at some point in their journey to consult an ancient macguffin/chase a dangerous criminal/Get eaten by a tentacle vagina.

It's the hip-happeningist place in the galaxy according to extended lore!

FakDendor

May 30, 2012
Hero in a half shell said:
And what's the bet that a large important portion of it takes place on Tatooine?

I don't know why Luke was so dissmissive of living on that barren desert planet of canonically no value, every single powerful person in the universe has stopped there at some point in their journey to consult an ancient macguffin/chase a dangerous criminal/Get eaten by a tentacle vagina.

It's the hip-happeningist place in the galaxy according to extended lore!
It's become a thorn in the side of "current" EU writers, so much so that one of the editors at Dark Horse Comics at one point enshrined a quote on his desk saying "Stay the f*** away from Tatooine."

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
The Critic said:
New Frontiersman said:
nomaner said:
MrPeanut said:
I thought that they were redoing the Canon Policy for Star Wars, simplifying it from the M-, T-, C-, and N-Canon levels to just a simple Canon/Non-Canon classification. They're supposed to be going through the entire EU and saying what's happened in the timeline and what hasn't. (Sources: Here, [http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/5285906/official-star-wars-canon-can-now-include-expanded-universe-stories] here, [http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57616851-1/who-decides-star-wars-canon-meet-the-story-group/] here, [http://www.geek.com/news/disney-appoints-committee-to-determine-new-official-star-wars-canon-1581803/] and here [http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/star-wars-expanded-universe-content-will-now-be-considered-canon-alongside-the-feature-films]. I realize that my sources are a bit biased in opinion on this, but the fact remains, it is happening)

With that in mind, it would be logical to assume that there could be EU references in Episode VII, or even EU material included outright, but the question would be what. Some of the immediately post-RotJ stuff like the Thrawn Trilogy and the X-Wing series would make sense to keep in, as it likely wouldn't affect much in Ep. VII; the same would probably go for some of the pre-PM stuff like KotOR and the like. The big thorn would be the Vong War, considering that this movie is supposed to take place in its aftermath, and whether it's canonical or not. Considering that the scriptwriter wanted to "start fresh", I wouldn't put money on it, but you never know.
Huh. You have a fair point there good sir. I wasn't actually aware of any of that, biased opinions or not. So I guess if nothing else, most of those stories will probably remain canon.

I kind of hope they don't reference it overmuch in the movie though, I think it would just serve to confuse most of the movie goers, who are probably familiar with the movies, but not so much the expanded universe.

Either way, thanks for sharing, that's interesting.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
New Frontiersman said:
nomaner said:
MrPeanut said:
Disney has pretty much burned the EU to the ground. They are going through everything to decide what is and isn't cannon. Considering that they have banned the toymakers, Hasbro etc, from making any EU based Action Figures or toy subjects going forward (with an exception for some TOR stuff), easy money says everything past the closing credits of RotJ is gone. No longer cannon. and will not be added to. The best we can hope for is some stuff slowly re added as cameo's and references via things like the Rebel's animated show or background cameo's in the movies. Just as they did with the Prequel Trilogy and the animated Clone Wars series. (They snuck in stuff like the Outrider and Quinlan Voss in the Prequels. They introduced a lot of classic EU ships, such as the Z-95, the armored Y Wings, Bossk's Hounds Tooth, The Lady Luck (or at least its type) etc in the Clone Wars.)

Here is what we can reasonably expect to survive Disneys purge of cannon to make way for the new movies. Anything that was on screen. So the Original Trilogy. The Prequel Trilogy, the Animated Clone Wars, Rebels, Shadows of the Empire. And other than some cool ship designs, that will pretty much be it. Any of the comics or novelizations, unless they are explicitly referenced on screen are gone.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
New Frontiersman said:
nomaner said:
MrPeanut said:
It's not really a problem. Everything that happened after the Vong War minus that one X-Wing novel has been total garbage. Little of value lost.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
There has to be a reason, after all, for them to not be all young and spry like were at the end of Jedi.
Radiation from Endor that nobody knew about aged them prematurely.

BAM

OT: Yeah, kind of figured they'd set it a few decades afterwards considering the appearance of the original cast members. I wonder what they're going to say about those 30 years we didn't get to see...

Mik Sunrider

Dec 21, 2013
Naw, I think we are going to loss the Yuuzhan Vong War, way to complicated to keep in EU; especially if those annoying three Solo things are not included (willing to give up thirty years of EU and all those book I have bought if I never have to hear about any of the solo kids again). If they reference Thrawn, X-wing and/or Wraith squadron it would be in passing. Actually, destroying EU is about the only way this movie would work. It would be okay, for me as a nutty fanboy, as long as JJ doesn't destroy the fandom IV, V, and VI created.

You know as far as Tatoonie is concern, there is a really cool NJO Jedi from Tatooine, one that could be introduced into the new movie without out much fuse or backstory to get in the way of current story, you know: Tahiri Veila.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
New Frontiersman said:
nomaner said:
MrPeanut said:
It's not really a problem. Everything that happened after the Vong War minus that one X-Wing novel has been total garbage. Little of value lost.
I second that. The vong war was getting too dark for me, but was still pretty good. Post vong just got strange.