Star Wars Episode VII Title Announced

Ishal

New member
Oct 30, 2012
1,177
0
0
Sounds okay to me.

From everything we know, there are two themes that play into this title. 1) Luke is supposed to be the last Jedi 2) The old "trinity" cast is supposed to be passing the torch, and that's going to be a big theme.

If something is stirring or waking up, that's the beginning, which is exactly what this movie is supposed to be. In the Star Wars canon the force ebbs and flows, it's the whole balance thing. I don't see what's so bad about it.
 

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
3,226
0
0
The Phantom Menace - Confusingly Metaphorical, what's it even referring to?

Attack of the Clones - Named after a plot element, also, it makes the clones sound menacing when they're the good guys.

Revenge of the Sith - Revenge for what? Also, way to mirror Return of the Jedi, totally inspired.

A New Hope - Extremely vague.

The Empire Strikes Back - Breaks the pattern by containing a subject AND a verb, thus making a full statement. Wouldn't The Empire's Return Strike or Retaliation of the Empire fit better?

Return of the Jedi - The only Jedi at the end is Luke, that's actually a net loss from A New Hope. Nobody's returning, just one new Jedi to replace 2 old ones.

The Force Awakens - It's impossible to judge, since we don't know the story yet.
 

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
780
0
0
Okay that whole "no cgi" thing seems like a major knee-jerk reaction. I mean, it's okay to use some CGI to create a style or handle ONLY the things that real life can't produce. I'm glad they're just setting this after everything that happened in the EU, though, as it doesn't shit all over established lore. Oh right, title deal...

Yeah, the title is terrible, we've all claimed it as such. It smacks of trying too hard to give way the plot... so yeah... this smells of the ever-dumb mystery box. And even then, didn't they have a thesaurus? It sounds childish and malformed. What about "The Revival of the Force" or "The Restoration of the Force"? Something that sounds more adventurous and, dare I sound so condescending, Star Wars-y. Even a rearranged "The Awakened Force" is more Star Wars-y...

---

Edit: Here is the scheme:

The/A (adjective) (something)
The (indirect action) of the (something)
The (something) (direct action)

So:

The Awakened Force
The Awakening of the Force
The Force Awakens

The last one is what they went with, but since "The Force" is not an organization or group or... I would put it along the same lines as a concept... like "hope" or "menace". Therefore, I'd say we go with "The Awakened Force". It sounds, at least to me, to be the best choice if you want to combine "awaken" and "force". It also fits with the naming scheme of the first movie of each trilogy (so far).
 

Jingle Fett

New member
Sep 13, 2011
379
0
0
Ehhhh, this is the best they can come up with? That's about the most boringly safe name ever. This doesn't bode well for the movie, especially with JJ being the director of the project, whose signature is pretty much "boringly safe" -- Not terribly bad, not particularly out of this world, but safe and a little generic.

On a side note, yay a ton of more jedi stuff inbound. Because we clearly haven't gotten enough of that yet -_- it'd be nice if they'd focus more on the actual wars that take place in the stars, with the Jedi stuff being a bit more on the side.
 

elvor0

New member
Sep 8, 2008
2,320
0
0
Brian Tams said:
The thing that irritates me about the title is how non-specific and generic it is.

Like, the previous movies (all 6 of 'em) had names that were more or less specific, with the least specific being Episode IV: A New Hope.

The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
The Revenge of the Sith
The Return of the Jedi

The above titles would at least give me some idea about what the movie was about, or at least the tone it was going for.

But this? I have no idea. Which leads me to believe that JJ is doing his fucking myster box mumbo-jumbo shit again.
That's actually a really good point. I mean the title was pretty naff anyway, but there was something else putting me off about it and I wasn't sure what it was till I read this. Even "A New Hope" is pretty specific within in the franchise if you watched them in timeline order.

You're right, this title means dick all
 

Grim Sterling

New member
Dec 27, 2013
21
0
0
The only way this will make me happy and smile is if the big reveal is that "The Force" turns out to actually be Cthulu.. then this title absofrickinlutely ROCKS. Otherwise, this is lame.
 

Gorrath

New member
Feb 22, 2013
1,648
0
0
Andy Shandy said:
Star Wars Episode VIII - The Force Goes To School
Star Wars Episode IX - The Force Does Its' Homework

Should went for Star Wars Episode VII - Revengeance

More titles should use Revengeance.
I literally spit coffee on my keyboard, ya funny ass jerk.

OT: What a friggin' awful name. It tells us nothing at all about the damned film. A New Hope? Yup, that's what it's about. Empire Strikes Back? Yup, that does happen. Return of the Jedi? Has a better ring to it than "Death of the Deathstar." Not knowing anything about the plot, I'm gonna go with Star Wars Episode VII: The Secret of Curly's Gold.
 

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
8,577
2,898
118
Ukomba said:
-1 for for style.
-5 for being similar to The Force Unleashed.
-10 WTF is it supposed to mean? The force can sleep? When did it fall asleep? Whyyyyyy?!?!? *Anger Spren*
Do not embrace the anger spren child of honor, remember your oaths.


OT: Eh, the name doesn't really phase me, all of the names are campy and pulpy, this is staying in theme.

I mean really, state the names of the movies, using the announcer voice guy from Legend of Korra, and tell me they don't all have the same level of pulpy camp to them. xD


Gorrath said:
OT: What a friggin' awful name. It tells us nothing at all about the damned film. A New Hope? Yup, that's what it's about. Empire Strikes Back? Yup, that does happen. Return of the Jedi? Has a better ring to it than "Death of the Deathstar." Not knowing anything about the plot, I'm gonna go with Star Wars Episode VII: The Secret of Curly's Gold.
Sure it tells us about the movie. It's going to focus on the Force, and since it's Awakening, it's likely going to be about the resurgence of the Jedi, now that Luke has spent several decades training up new recruits. It's likely going to be some dark side related threat that is resurfacing, after a few decades of silence while the heroes licked their wounds. It's as informative as the other movies were with a single phrase. I mean really, A New Hope? That's not explanatory at all. A new hope of what? There is no context, or at least no more context than The Force Awakens. So yeah, I'm fine with the title.
 

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
739
0
0
Happyninja42 said:
Gorrath said:
OT: What a friggin' awful name. It tells us nothing at all about the damned film. A New Hope? Yup, that's what it's about. Empire Strikes Back? Yup, that does happen. Return of the Jedi? Has a better ring to it than "Death of the Deathstar." Not knowing anything about the plot, I'm gonna go with Star Wars Episode VII: The Secret of Curly's Gold.
Sure it tells us about the movie. It's going to focus on the Force, and since it's Awakening, it's likely going to be about the resurgence of the Jedi, now that Luke has spent several decades training up new recruits. It's likely going to be some dark side related threat that is resurfacing, after a few decades of silence while the heroes licked their wounds. It's as informative as the other movies were with a single phrase. I mean really, A New Hope? That's not explanatory at all. A new hope of what? There is no context, or at least no more context than The Force Awakens. So yeah, I'm fine with the title.
To be fair, A New Hope makes sense in the overall narrative, as it introduces Luke who ends up being the hope for the Rebellion as the first of a new order of Jedi. But as a stand-alone title, I agree with you, it makes very little sense, even less if you haven't seen the movie.

I'm willing to bet that the new title will make perfect sense after viewing the film. So, like you, I'm good with the title. And at least it isn't as bad as Attack of the Clones (which I always want to view as Clowns, which would be a much more terrifying movie).
 

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
8,577
2,898
118
COMaestro said:
Happyninja42 said:
Gorrath said:
To be fair, A New Hope makes sense in the overall narrative, as it introduces Luke who ends up being the hope for the Rebellion as the first of a new order of Jedi. But as a stand-alone title, I agree with you, it makes very little sense, even less if you haven't seen the movie.

I'm willing to bet that the new title will make perfect sense after viewing the film. So, like you, I'm good with the title. And at least it isn't as bad as Attack of the Clones (which I always want to view as Clowns, which would be a much more terrifying movie).
"Makes sense in the overall narrative" Perhaps. But in 1976, when it was the only movie released, without decades worth of lore and fan absorption, it tells you nothing. It vaguely implies some kind of trouble, that there is a hope in relation to, but that's it. Sure we can look back now over 6 movies and say "Ahah, yeah the title makes perfect sense, since at this point the universe was at it's darkest hour" But that's hindsight. Looking at Episode 7 with the same ignorant eyes as the public did in 1976, they are equally vague, which is why I don't have a problem with this title. It's just as ambiguous as the others when taken by itself. It hints at broad plot threads, but nothing more. And in fact, I would say it gives more information than A New Hope. At least The Force Awakens tells us it's related to the Force. A New Hope could relate to anything.

As to Attack of the Clowns, perhaps you should find the old movie Killer Clowns from Outer Space. xD It might fit what you are looking for.
 

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
12,531
0
0
Wow... I keep forgetting that Star Wars [sub]titles are either vague and/or metaphorical in general... How silly of me to think otherwise...

Other than that, I'm more interested in this "30 year" timeskip than the movie's title right now...
 

mysecondlife

New member
Feb 24, 2011
2,142
0
0
There's only one force awakening and that's in my pants.

Hur hur hur.

Yes its a stupid name and etc.
 

chozo_hybrid

Jund 'Em Out!
Jul 15, 2009
3,456
0
0
If it's to do with a new Jedi order, then the title makes sense. The force awakens could be referring to finding recruits and starting the new order.

That said, it's not the worst title ever. At least it doesn't have rises in the title.

Happyninja42 said:
COMaestro said:
Happyninja42 said:
Gorrath said:
To be fair, A New Hope makes sense in the overall narrative, as it introduces Luke who ends up being the hope for the Rebellion as the first of a new order of Jedi. But as a stand-alone title, I agree with you, it makes very little sense, even less if you haven't seen the movie.

I'm willing to bet that the new title will make perfect sense after viewing the film. So, like you, I'm good with the title. And at least it isn't as bad as Attack of the Clones (which I always want to view as Clowns, which would be a much more terrifying movie).
"Makes sense in the overall narrative" Perhaps. But in 1976, when it was the only movie released, without decades worth of lore and fan absorption, it tells you nothing.
It wasn't released as Ep 4: A New Hope, it was retitled, originally, the movie was just called Star Wars. It's an often forgotten detail these days. The text scrawl at the beginning had A New Hope at the top of it, but the film wasn't retitled until after Empire Strikes back I believe.
 

TallanKhan

New member
Aug 13, 2009
790
0
0
Wow, thats, underwhelming. I can't help but wonder if this title is one of those times where someone comes up with something they think is amazing, and no one else does...
 

Ukomba

New member
Oct 14, 2010
1,528
0
0
Happyninja42 said:
Ukomba said:
-1 for for style.
-5 for being similar to The Force Unleashed.
-10 WTF is it supposed to mean? The force can sleep? When did it fall asleep? Whyyyyyy?!?!? *Anger Spren*
Do not embrace the anger spren child of honor, remember your oaths.


OT: Eh, the name doesn't really phase me, all of the names are campy and pulpy, this is staying in theme.

I mean really, state the names of the movies, using the announcer voice guy from Legend of Korra, and tell me they don't all have the same level of pulpy camp to them. xD


Gorrath said:
OT: What a friggin' awful name. It tells us nothing at all about the damned film. A New Hope? Yup, that's what it's about. Empire Strikes Back? Yup, that does happen. Return of the Jedi? Has a better ring to it than "Death of the Deathstar." Not knowing anything about the plot, I'm gonna go with Star Wars Episode VII: The Secret of Curly's Gold.
Sure it tells us about the movie. It's going to focus on the Force, and since it's Awakening, it's likely going to be about the resurgence of the Jedi, now that Luke has spent several decades training up new recruits. It's likely going to be some dark side related threat that is resurfacing, after a few decades of silence while the heroes licked their wounds. It's as informative as the other movies were with a single phrase. I mean really, A New Hope? That's not explanatory at all. A new hope of what? There is no context, or at least no more context than The Force Awakens. So yeah, I'm fine with the title.
Honor is dead, Odium reigns.

The new trailer doesn't help the title any.