Star Wars Episode VII Title Announced

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Star Wars Episode VII Title Announced

The first of the next trio of Star Wars films will have the subtitle, "The Force Awakens."

Just announced on Twitter is the subtitle for Star Wars Episode VII [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars%20episode%20vii]: The Force Awakens.

The official Twitter account noted principal photography for the film recently finished. Last weekend the cast and crew celebrated the end of filming. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138370-Star-Wars-Episode-VIIs-Principal-Photography-Comes-to-a-Close]

The announcement arrived quietly on Twitter despite it being the first follow-up to an incredibly well-known movie series. J.J. Abrams is the director for Episode VII, and the movie cast includes some original cast members as well as John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Max von Sydow, Lupita Nyong'o, and Gwendoline Christie.. hundreds of live-action stormtroopers. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136937-Rian-Johnson-Says-that-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-is-Using-More-Practical-Sets-Than-the-Prequel-Trilogy]

The Force Awakens takes place 30 years after Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens releases in theaters on December 18, 2015.

Source: Star Wars (Twitter) [https://twitter.com/starwars/status/530404275957293056/photo/1]

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
Wow. That's...bleeding awful. Yeesh. I think I used that line in foreplay at some point.

They might as well have just called it STAR WARS: REVELATIONS instead.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Looks like they wanted to call it "The Force Unleashed" then realised they had already called something that.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
As someone has just suggested in the room I am typing in:

Star Wars episode VII: Revenge of the Ewoks.

Another nail, same coffin.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
I... Ouch. Really, ouch.

You mean the Force was sleeping throughout the previous movies? If so, it can do some pretty impressive stuff in its sleep...

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
It could be worse, and the title doesn't matter as long as the movie is good/fun.
Sure it doesn't sound THAT cool, but if this is like 50 years after episode VI then I can understand the name, it actually means what happens in the film... y'know...

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Were all of the midichlorians in the galaxy asleep for 30 years? Maybe they hibernate. I hope they elaborate on that in the movie.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
MiskWisk said:
Looks like they wanted to call it "The Force Unleashed" then realised they had already called something that.
You know, you're probably right. No one would use Awakens if they can use Unleashed instead.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
-1 for for style.
-5 for being similar to The Force Unleashed.
-10 WTF is it supposed to mean? The force can sleep? When did it fall asleep? Whyyyyyy?!?!? *Anger Spren*

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
MiskWisk said:
What's stopping them? It's not like TFU is canon anymore.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Scrythe said:
MiskWisk said:
Because The Force Unleashed was terrible and they don't want to tie it to that in any way? Though giving it the name of an ex-canon thing might have been a good move. Something like 'Dark Force Rising' would have given me a of a smile. Even something like 'Tempest' or 'Balance Point' would have been an amusing call back.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Well, a better title would've been "The Awakening of the Force" but eh. It's okay. Mostly I'm looking forward to Drew Struzan's amazing posters again.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US

Okay, well, not as bad as "Attack of the Clones", at least. Ah, well. Titles was never really Star Wars' strong suit.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Star Wars Episode VIII - The Force Goes To School
Star Wars Episode IX - The Force Does Its' Homework

Should went for Star Wars Episode VII - Revengeance

More titles should use Revengeance.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
That sounds lame. The could have called it "Rebirth of the Force," "Renaissance of the Force," or "Shit, Those Sith Guys are Back." Anything would be better than "Awakens." Too bad "Unleashed," "Return of," and other good ones were taken up by other entries in the franchise, and "Rises" was just used by Batman. I would have called it "Reunion of the Force" if the stupid execs wanted it to have such a cheesey title.
Scrythe said:
MiskWisk said:
The threat of raging fanboys is stopping them. It's actually a smart move on their part to not use names from the EU's best received works.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
The thing that irritates me about the title is how non-specific and generic it is.

Like, the previous movies (all 6 of 'em) had names that were more or less specific, with the least specific being Episode IV: A New Hope.

The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
The Revenge of the Sith
The Return of the Jedi

The above titles would at least give me some idea about what the movie was about, or at least the tone it was going for.

But this? I have no idea. Which leads me to believe that JJ is doing his fucking myster box mumbo-jumbo shit again.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
...Kinda lazy isn't it? I mean has the force really been asleep in the past six movies? It seems like it's been pretty active.

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
Star Wars: Dawn of Force-tice
Star Wars: Good Morning Force-nam
Star Wars: A New Awakening
Star Wars: Begin Again by Force

I guess midichlorians have sleep cycles.