Star Wars Goes Philosophical and French in Depressing Reimagining

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
ZETSUBOSHITA! THE SAYINGS OF SATRE HAS LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!
Ok, in all seriousness this was damn funny.
Especially considering I just watched that simpson parody
(the one with the albanian soldiers and the Goat who claimed to be "older than time itself")

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
matrix3509 said:
Kair said:
matrix3509 said:
I can't say I EVER really agreed with existentialism (in fact I find most existentialists I know to be annoying self-assured tossers, but thats neither here nor there), but this is completely awesome. The parts where Luke looks on cluelessly as Obi-Wan talks to him were especially hilarious.
Why do you not agree that we exist because we think?

Do you not see reason, or is it just the personalities of many existentialists you do not like?
In an effort to avoid derailing the thread, I'll avoid getting into an obtuse philosophical discussion (yet again). Besides, unless your avatar is ironic, I have a feeling it would be like trying to talk to a wall for the both of us.

To answer your second question, yes the personalities of most of the existentialists I know (a whopping three) leave something to be desired, and I'll be the first to admit they may have colored my opinion of it. Though I do find it rather odd how people with extensive knowledge of their chosen philosophy just love to rattle on and on about said philosophy.
I don't have extensive knowledge of the existentialist philosophy. I just think it offers the most rational view on existence. If you did look at it I'm sure you see that it fits reason well.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
DazBurger said:
That is... So depressing!

Thank you for giving me a reason to add "The French" to my Hate-List...
Sartre was riffing off of German philosophers. But if you want depressing, try living in a country occupied by fascists for four years.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
mikev7.0 said:
The truth is that Star Wars has always been about philosophy. To me that's what made it so great! Maybe that's why so many people hate Jar Jar. They don't realize that he is the representation of the Taoist ideaology....

I like im'! Then again in a weird way it feels like I was always meant to....
You are correct, but it's not a good philosophy. I tend to agree with David Brin [http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movies/feature/1999/06/15/brin_main] on the subject.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
GrizzlerBorno said:
matrix3509 said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
matrix3509 said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
matrix3509 said:
I can't say I EVER really agreed with existentialism (in fact I find most existentialists I know to be annoying self-assured tossers, but thats neither here nor there).......
Haha, you make it sound like Existentialists are dogmatic, elitist tossers hiding out in their treehouse. If that, by any chance were true I'd be pretty fucking confused. I don't think I've met anyone who's confessed to being "an existentialist". It's a philosophy, not a lifestyle. Nihilism on the other hand......

OT: Why are people saying this is sad? I couldn't take it very seriously. Darth Vader: "I die?"
If I made it sound that way I apologize, I happen to know several people (lets call them philosophy majors) who like to wear their personal philosophy on their sleeve as it were. Maybe it the environment of academia that makes them act that way?
Oh I know that feeling. When all of these ideas first start to "click" for you, and your head opens up into a never-before-imagined vista of complex thoughts and comprehensions you never thought you'd grasp? It can be a pretty overwhelming feeling, and it very often shows through. I can't blame them. But it'll pass, though; don't worry about it.
It makes me wonder how people like Sartre and Nietzsche went about their daily lives. Was Nietzsche always depressed and constantly saying nothing matters, or was he just some regular dude who went to the store to buy OJ like the rest of us?
That's an interesting thought. If I had to guess, I would say he would almost never talk about Nihilism in public setting. But I guess that because, after a person gains a certain level of respect in my (or anyone's) mind for his intellect and open-mindedness, It's hard to imagine that person as a Taut and a Pedant, becuase that's the antithesis of an Open mind...
Heh, I does help sometimes if you just imagine these great historical figures acting like a regular person most of the time...like rage-quitting after being called a fag on Xbox Live.

Oh what wonderful and fucked up philosophies will this generation develop?

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Falseprophet said:
DazBurger said:
That is... So depressing!

Thank you for giving me a reason to add "The French" to my Hate-List...
Sartre was riffing off of German philosophers. But if you want depressing, try living in a country occupied by fascists for four years.
And what country is it that you live in, that is occupied by fascists on its fourth year?

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
HankMan said:
Well all I can say is: It exists, and I find it nauseating.

Naw, It was actually pretty funny with the juxtaposition. That bit at the end where Vader essentially just says 'fuck it' and flies away.
I LOL'd so hard at when Vader said "I die"?

Priceless.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
matrix3509 said:
I can't say I EVER really agreed with existentialism (in fact I find most existentialists I know to be annoying self-assured tossers, but thats neither here nor there), but this is completely awesome. The parts where Luke looks on cluelessly as Obi-Wan talks to him were especially hilarious.
Existentialism only exists so that people can laugh at it. The French need to read more Nietzsche. Also, that video made me happy inside.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
I find it more depressing that people are assuming that the subtitles ARE the translation of what they're saying...

You people do realize the audio is the dubbing of the ORIGINAL script and that the subtitles are a joke nodding to 'Les Miserables' right?

madmatt

Jan 12, 2010
that was funny! Thanks!

That said I don't like Sartre, and that's not just because I had to write a horrifying essay on him for political philosophy of 4.5k words. He is contradictory and pretentious. Hell is other people, but we need them to be free? We need to be our essences, but to do so we need something to struggle against perpetually? What? That said he is a genius, I admit that.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Dammit, this is really freaking funny, but at the same time, not really, because no one would 'get it' unless they know Sartre/existentialism to begin with! So much for showing this to my star-wars-fan friend (ruined potential T___T )

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
That was just awesome. My favourite is the scene where the pilot is screaming and it's translated as "Nothingness, I embrace you!". Everything, even existentialism, is better in...

I just want to get in before it gets passe.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Perhaps the humour is lost on me since I speak French. It just gives me a headache to listen in one language and read in another.

mlkjhgfds

Nov 5, 2008
A simple request - when confronted with seemingly pessimistic philosophical babble, please don't pull the name of that one other philosopher whose name you know.

Can't say which is worse - knowing people are going to go and mention Nietzsche no matter what, or having a look and seeing it happen. Every time and many times.