Star Wars' John Boyega to Star in Pacific Rim 2

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I can get behind this. I loved Pacific Rim. And I love John Boyega in Episode VII. So this is like chocolate meets peanut butter.

Man, I really didn't mean that to come across as racist, but it kinda does due to context.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Still never seen the first one, but I'm glad there's more of 'em. I may not be the biggest fan of Del Toro, but he seems like a great bloke and I can respect his passion.

As for Boyega: I hope he keeps an English accent this time...

The Rogue Wolf said:
Why does everyone use this one picture of Boyega where he looks like he's desperately waiting for an open bathroom stall at a Taco Bell?
Heh, good point. Boyega looks pretty sharp in a suit, and yet that pic's still seemingly the go-to.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I can dig this, I like John, thought he was great in TFA. My only issue is the whole Stacker Pentecost's son thing is kind of coming out of nowhere. Hope they come up with a good reason for why him having a son was never brought up in the first one.

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
This sounded perfectly fine until I read the multi-cultural part. Now I'm wondering if it's just pandering to the SJ crowd...

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
008Zulu said:
jklinders said:
Bah! I like Elba too and he will be missed in the sequel. Pacific Rim was kinda stupid, but it was also freaking awesome. I'm glad that the sequel was finally rammed through.
Mako Mori: Marshall Pentecost, I thought you were dead!

Marshall Pentecost: I got better.

Pacific Rim is about giant robots beating up giant aliens. Plot is inconsequential.
Well if Shepard could do it, why not Pentecost?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
erttheking said:
MC1980 said:
A definite downgrade from Idris Elba. Most everything that isn't Idris Elba is.

Does this mean that what's his won't come back? He was so memorable.
He was kind of at ground zero when a nuke went off. Kind of hard to walk that off. Shame. I liked him.
Actually he could easily come back in flashbacks in the Drift, just like we had with Mako. In fact, I would be surprised if they don't do that, considering John Boyega is playing his son.

OT: Cool. I'm all for another Pacific Rim no matter who is playing the lead (or maybe he's not the lead, I don't know). The fact that it happens to be an actor that I like a lot, and find to be a genuinely funny guy, just makes it that much cooler.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
On one hand, John Boyega is great.

On the other, it doesn't make any sense that he's his son, since I think that would have came up since Mako was his not-quite adopted daughter.

if we gotta do kids, why not Mako and white guy's kid? I mean if it's gonna be a proper sequel, it's going to take time for the alien dudes to set back up their monster operation. Better there be a larger timeskip than just immediate child (who would already be an adult by the time of the first movie, given pentecost's age)
Because we don't actually know that they end up as a couple. In fact, given how the first one ends, it seems they stay in the "just friends" department. And honestly, after having melded their minds, to the point where they have lived every moment with the other person, the idea that they might be too close to start a relationship seems reasonable.

Sure there was that russian couple, but I got the feeling they were already married when they became pilots, so they were already comfortable with each other. I mean they could hook up, it's possible, but the ending definitely suggested otherwise. Which I'm fine with personally. Besides, if you make it their kid, you have to fast forward the timeline 20ish years to let the kid grow up. And this would mean you'd have to age out the other actors if they return, making them look like they too are 20 years older, which rarely works well in makeup.

Easier to just fast forward things a few years, and say "this is Ilba's already existing kid, who is now old enough to join the ranks of the pilots." That way, you can have any actors reprise their roles, and not have to worry about aging them.