Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Give In to the Dark Side

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Give In to the Dark Side

The classic roleplaying game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic has one of the best Jedi-centric stories out there, and remains fun and playable.

Read Full Article

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Frankly, for its time, KOTOR was amazing game. It was groundbreaking and revolutionary even and really dragged RPGs into a more cinematic age of gaming. It was also so highly polished and true to the Star Wars lore. I think overall the second game is better but it's still a great game in its own right.

Milten

Oct 4, 2013
I played the first KOTOR last year and in the middle of the second one right now, both are awesome in their own way, although they're so different storywise (I love Obsidian's grey interpretation of the SW lore, but Kotor I is equally great as a fun adventure story)
I was spoiled about the twist in Kotor I beforehand, but I grew so attached to my character, that it still had one hell of an impact on me.

...but there's no quest tracker or map integration to make finding your objectives easier to find.
ANd that's a good thing. I like to use my brain and pay attention to what NPCs say instead of blindly following flashy arrows.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
KOTOR along with Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X are the reasons why I'm such a huge RPG fan, and when I was finally able to play it again on Steam I had that same rush of nostalgia cycling through the character faces, even recreated my first viable character from when I played it on the Xbox, Scout to Jedi Warrior.

Now I just need to find the time to actually finish the game, way back when on the Xbox I encountered a glitch where every character was slowly replaced with a clone of Zallbar and the Final Planet would not show up on the ship map.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
KoTOR is pretty good, re-playing it now. KoTOR II will always be better though. Bioware do not have a good handle on morality, since it's a choice between being a dick for the sake of being a dick or acting like a sensible person.

II was better in every regard, imho. If you truly want to get some jollies out of KoTOR I, try roleplaying as a Gray Jedi. Balancing out decisions and party member's approval is difficult, but pretty fun.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Milten said:
I was spoiled about the twist in Kotor I beforehand, but I grew so attached to my character, that it still had one hell of an impact on me.
I'll be perfectly honest about that twist: I don't know why it's so well regarded by people. Honestly, it was so obvious almost immediately that I can't imagine someone playing the game for more than a couple of hours and not figuring it out. Bioware honestly wasn't very good at subtlety when it came to foreshadowing.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
BigTuk said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
KoTOR is pretty good, re-playing it now. KoTOR II will always be better though. Bioware do not have a good handle on morality, since it's a choice between being a dick for the sake of being a dick or acting like a sensible person.

II was better in every regard, imho. If you truly want to get some jollies out of KoTOR I, try roleplaying as a Gray Jedi. Balancing out decisions and party member's approval is difficult, but pretty fun.
You want clunky mkoral choices.. play Jade Empire...being evil in that game basically means being the spoawn of Ming the Merciless and Sauron as Channelled by Cobra Commander

Still KOtor is a pretty solid game What was amazing is that you could affect the morality of your team mates as welll. I'm not saying I got Canderous to be a good guy but there was a little tinge of grey and a lot less red in his screen by the end of the game...

I actually liked the combat system since while it's tempting to let it auto pilot you still had to keep an eye on things.
I'm not looking for clunky moral choices; I am scrutinising KoTOR I for being so damn binary. Being a neutral character is damn difficult, and I will say this again: KoTOR II did it better. If you are consistently allied with the light side, your companions noticeably act differently because of it(I think there was a scene in the Nar Shadaa bar with Atton, where if the Exile is light side, he acts nicer to the two assassins). They also look different too.

As for the combat...I like the lightsaber animations. That's about it. Wielding a blaster is a crapshoot, and KoTOR I level caps you way too soon.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
Now I just need to find the time to actually finish the game, way back when on the Xbox I encountered a glitch where every character was slowly replaced with a clone of Zallbar and the Final Planet would not show up on the ship map.
That is quite a glitch. Did they talk like zaalbar or have their own dialogue with his face?

OT: This game was my first time playing an rpg and I really loved it. Nice that it still holds up.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Dark Knifer said:
OT: This game was my first time playing an rpg and I really loved it. Nice that it still holds up.
Same for me as well, I bought it one time during the sixth grade after having the worst week ever. I thought it was a game like Jedi Academy and when I installed it to my dad's old computer I was surprised. I didn't like it at first but it eventually grew on me. Funnily enough a few months later my uncle got me the game for my birthday. I installed it onto my new computer and finished it in 3 days. To date I have two physical copies and a Steam copy of KOTOR 1 and both a physical and Steam copy of the sequel.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Ahhh KoTOR... the first memory I have of wanting to forget just to experience something amazing for the first time all over again.

I still love the music and combat and decisions. I remember my very first Jedi I made on there and it really opened the door for me to become interested in the Star Wars lore. It was also one of my first taps into the wonderful world of voice acting (I'm looking at you, Kevin Michael Richardson)

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Dark Knifer said:
That is quite a glitch. Did they talk like zaalbar or have their own dialogue with his face?
Exact clones, same dialogue, same character, everywhere in the ship. Go to where Canderous is, its Zaalbar, go to where T3M4 is, Zaalbar. He kept replacing every single party member in the ship. everytime I exited and reentered, and I think that change was reflected on the Party Select Menu as well. So I was stuck with the completed planets all Zaalbar and no final planet.

ScreamingViking

Aug 10, 2014
Kotor is what introduced me to rpgs, and what really kick started my Star wars phase. Great game, though I will always prefer the second game's less binary approach to the star wars mythos. Kreia especially was amazing. Sigh, now I'm getting all nostalgic.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
Dark Knifer said:
Exact clones, same dialogue, same character, everywhere in the ship. Go to where Canderous is, its Zaalbar, go to where T3M4 is, Zaalbar. He kept replacing every single party member in the ship. everytime I exited and reentered, and I think that change was reflected on the Party Select Menu as well. So I was stuck with the completed planets all Zaalbar and no final planet.
So a mysterious zaalbar virus claimed your crew. How did that go with Kashyyyk and when did it start?

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
KotOR's solid but bland, like most Bioware products. I really never saw the "rich morality", especially after MCA ripped the pure binary logic of entire universe apart in the sequel.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Carth aside, this is one my favourite games ever. Of all time. That plot twist caused me to stop breathing for a few seconds. I screwed up my build, so the final boss was impossible to beat. Quite by coincidence, I had an exceptionally high Demolitions skill, and enough Deadly mines to destroy the Death Star twice over. Fortunately the AI pathing is dumber than a Gungan, and I was able to place trip fields with relative ease.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Dark Knifer said:
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
Dark Knifer said:
So a mysterious zaalbar virus claimed your crew. How did that go with Kashyyyk and when did it start?
Just imagine if the Gizkas caught it.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
lax4life said:
Dark Knifer said:
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
Dark Knifer said:
Just imagine if the Gizkas caught it.
You could make a wookie choir. What if you triggered an event that needed zaalbar would they all try to do the event and phase through each other?

I wanna see a mod of this now.

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
i wish i could play kotor 2..... damn game wont run of intel graphics....even games with better graphics can run with intel but this game just wont.... is the 1st one worth checking out ? compared to rpgs like planescape torment or dragon age ?