Star Wars needs a reboot. Reboot the Original Trilogy, Reboot the Prequel Story, Reboot everything.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I don't care how iconic James Earl Jones, Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher are as the characters, or anything else.

This franchise has been in dire need of a reboot ever since Episode 1. Just take everything that is best about Star Wars, especially the best of its Old EU, make everything consistant and in lore. Set proper rules and lore and backstory about the Force. Make the Jedi and Sith concrete and make sense in what they are. Make the Galaxy a more lived in place, have all races have backstory, and the Wars make sense with clearly defined factions and goals and stakes.

I have so much ideas on my vision of Star Wars that's better than how Disney is handling them.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ezekiel said:
No. There is plenty of space in the galaxy to tell new story without undoing the previous movies, which would piss off fans anyway. Terrible idea.
I don't care about the old fans. The old fans will die out and a new generation will be left with a mess of a franchise. This franchise was not built from the ground up with a single idea, but just millions upon millions of differing ideas stacked on top of each other resulting in an incoherent mess.

We need a clean slate.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Why not go KotoR in the other direction instead? KotoR was set long before the original trilogy, why not get a 'clean slate' by moving ahead a thousand or so years?

We already got a 'reboot' with TFA, and it sucked. There is no way they could reboot the original trilogy directly and it be any good.

Hell, the problem with the current films is that they are too far up the original trilogy's ass to let any new ideas flourish.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
I don't care how iconic James Earl Jones, Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher are as the characters, or anything else.

This franchise has been in dire need of a reboot ever since Episode 1. Just take everything that is best about Star Wars, especially the best of its Old EU, make everything consistant and in lore. Set proper rules and lore and backstory about the Force. Make the Jedi and Sith concrete and make sense in what they are. Make the Galaxy a more lived in place, have all races have backstory, and the Wars make sense with clearly defined factions and goals and stakes.

I have so much ideas on my vision of Star Wars that's better than how Disney is handling them.
Fuck me, someone thinks highly of themself.

As for your broad idea, best of luck sport but Star Wars is a cultural touchstone now. You may get a reboot during its 100th anniversary or something. I wouldn?t count on it though.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
It's already getting a reboot. Have you seen Force Awakens and Last Jedi?! You'd get less reboots in a Cobbler shop in downtown Dallas!
And it's cheap and terrible.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
All this has taught me that Star Wars fans on the internet suck. Everyone I've talked to loved the movie, or at least enjoyed it that they left with a smile on their face. I have yet to find a single person in real life that downright hated the movie.

As such, I find myself distancing myself from the fan base, which seems more interested in hating the very thing they claim to love--whether it's hating George Lucas, the very man who created Star Wars, hating the Expanded Universe for adding to the lore, or hating Disney for giving us new Star Wars movies. It's just depressing that so-called "fans" spend more time ripping the franchise apart than anything else.

And as for the comment of "I don't care about the old fans", well screw you too. Star Wars wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the old fans. It would have fizzled out there and there would have never been more than one movie.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
The short answer is "no." The long answer is "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

If you really feel this way, OP, then you are not really a Star Wars fan. The Last Jedi actually managed to rescue the sequel trilogy from the dumpster fire that was The Force Awakens. There is a theory I would like to explore about Star Wars on this forum later on. Right now. The biggest thing that I am annoyed with about Star Wars is their "fans" bitching about everything about Star Wars.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
In case you didn't notice, the new movies are already rebooting the damn thing.
Right? I don't get how anyone looks at Force Awakens and Last Jedi and sees new, original content with a fresh take on Star Wars...

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
They will not reboot Star Wars. It is far too profitable and they invested too much in it to reboot. Now they could start up some kind of direct-to-dvd/streaming only, cheap production/trial run for new writers and directors, companion "Star Wars Legends" series. I see how that would work. You could even start it with "new" material (for a movie anyway) making a movie out of the events of something like Knights of the Old Republic. Having an actual "prequel" for the reboot of ANH consisting of the formation of Red Squadron and the Rand Ecliptic mutiny mixed then merged with the side story of Kyle Katarn getting the Death Star Plans that is the prologue to Dark Forces... then the reboot.

But it would appeal to me and figuratively 12 other people, it will never happen. Frankly I'm surprised that Disney lets the EU live in "Legends" form rather than demand the return and incineration of all EU material on pain of torture. The last thing they want is the material competing with itself in whatever form.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
All this edge and no point.

You usually have bad opinions, but this takes the fucking cake.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
How about we just don't, and make something new. This franchise is getting whored out enough as it is -- Do we really need it to get rebooted as well?

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:

You have two problems with this, and both come from a reality of how the IPS is under Disney. Disney is not in the line of ever making remakes of their own films unless its has a catch. Examples would be the live adaptation of a few of their classic films. Star Wars does not need a remake because the current films are doing well, and are financially secure for the industry. Changing anything about the old films, including a remake would not only could screw up the cannon Disney has in place.It would also screw over the fans that have supported Star Wars.

Remember, before Disney and before the prequels, Star Wars had not been in a film for almost 20 plus years. Instead Lucas Arts made money from selling toys and other goods to fans of the original films. The old films became popular with children born from those very fans, and with China opening up. Thought the fact remains it is far too early for a remake of them and if Disney ever does, it would mean StarWars is financially at that point it is no longer making money.Thus, it would mean the death of the very franchise you love so much.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kenbo Slice said:
All this edge and no point.

You usually have bad opinions, but this takes the fucking cake.
Sniper Team 4 said:
And as for the comment of "I don't care about the old fans", well screw you too. Star Wars wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the old fans. It would have fizzled out there and there would have never been more than one movie.
I am sorry but this new movie broke me from all the things I have heard from it. Everything they done to Star Wars is just wrong and worse the Last Jedi completely scrapped anything that JJ Abrams was trying to do in favor of Rian Johnson's vision for his upcoming trilogy.

I am not a fan of JJ Abrams but at least see his vision through. This revolver door of writers will only hurt Star Wars in the long run unless a standard set of rules is established. At least Comic Books has an editorial to try to keep everything in line.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
KissingSunlight said:
The short answer is "no." The long answer is "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

If you really feel this way, OP, then you are not really a Star Wars fan. The Last Jedi actually managed to rescue the sequel trilogy from the dumpster fire that was The Force Awakens.
By retconning what was established in the Force Awakens? By clearly not having a solid vision for this new trilogy?

Heck the movie partially retcons Luke Skywalker's charcater, what have they done this guy here in the Last Jedi!?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
How about we just don't, and make something new. This franchise is getting whored out enough as it is -- Do we really need it to get rebooted as well?
I just want Star Wars to have a perfect, well thought out vision, the stories and lore well thought out and consistant, its charcaters consistant.

Like why does technology in the prequels like ships and robots look more advanced than in the Original Trilogy?

How did the Badguys in the Force Awakens make a Death Star that was even more powerful than the originals?

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Didn't a new Hope already got a reboot by the time the Force Awakens came out?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
KissingSunlight said:

If you really feel this way, OP, then you are not really a Star Wars fan. The Last Jedi actually managed to rescue the sequel trilogy from the dumpster fire that was The Force Awakens.
By retconning what was established in the Force Awakens? By clearly not having a solid vision for this new trilogy?

Heck the movie parially retcons Luke Skywalker's charcater, what have they done this guy here in the Last Jedi!?
Yes, its entirely unreasonable for a man to become closed off, bitter and full of self-loathing after
he contemplated murdering his nephew out of fear of what he might become, have that then turn into a self-fulfilling prophesy and then find that everything he's spent years of his life building has been literally burned to the ground.

Heaven forefend that piss him off.