Star Wars needs a reboot. Reboot the Original Trilogy, Reboot the Prequel Story, Reboot everything.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
BeetleManiac said:
Samtemdo8 said:
So keep the original trilogy than I conceed that, but if they want to build a bigger universe outside of it, they need to follow the original trilogy's rules alot more closely
And apparently only tell the stories that you personally want to hear. Of course, we don't know what those stories would be since by your own admission you don't know how to make a half-way decent character arc.
And you expect me to make up a detailed character arc on the spot, at least admit I can't unlike most writers (Looks at Game of Thrones)

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I'm of the opinion that Star Wars should have been public domain by now. That way any aspiring director could make a Star Wars movie any way they liked without being hampered by exclusive rights holding, licencing fees or arbitrary definitions of "canon." I mean, it's been over four decades since ANH came out, which is more than enough time for the original creators to be compensated for their work. Unfortunately that's never going to happen while Disney has the license, as they're the loudest proponents of extending copyright indefinitely in the name of corporate greed.
(This was shortly before the Disney buyout, but the message remains relevant)​

So yeah, go nuts I say. Remakes, reboots, reimaginings, the whole nine yards. Anyone should be able to play in the Star Wars sandbox any way they please, from the Steven Spielbergs of the world to the Tommy Wiseaus, and they shouldn't have to go through the likes of Disney, Fox, George Lucas, EA or any other person or entity formerly or currently involved in the franchise.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Neverhoodian said:
I'm of the opinion that Star Wars should have been public domain by now. That way any aspiring director could make a Star Wars movie any way they liked without being hampered by exclusive rights holding, licencing fees or arbitrary definitions of "canon." I mean, it's been over four decades since ANH came out, which is more than enough time for the original creators to be compensated for their work. Unfortunately that's never going to happen while Disney has the license, as they're the loudest proponents of extending copyright indefinitely in the name of corporate greed.
(This was shortly before the Disney buyout, but the message remains relevant)​

So yeah, go nuts I say. Remakes, reboots, reimaginings, the whole nine yards. Anyone should be able to play in the Star Wars sandbox any way they please, from the Steven Spielbergs of the world to the Tommy Wiseaus, and they shouldn't have to go through the likes of Disney, Fox, George Lucas, EA or any other person or entity formerly or currently involved in the franchise.
Infact Steven Spielberg would be my preference for someone to do a Remake of the Original Trilogy. And he has that whole Father Abadonment theme in his movies so him writing Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader should be right at home with him.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The Star Wars original trilogy was only good because we were kids. Like cartoons of a similar era, He-man and Transformers as example, looking at them as an adult makes you think they were on drugs the whole time and needed someone to step in to write for them. Its basically a bunch of cardboard cut-outs in a Force setting.

Don't remake them. They don't deserve it

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
trunkage said:
The Star Wars original trilogy was only good because we were kids. Like cartoons of a similar era, He-man and Transformers as example, looking at them as an adult makes you think they were on drugs the whole time and needed someone to step in to write for them. Its basically a bunch of cardboard cut-outs in a Force setting.

Well to some people the Original Trilogy aged well like wine, for me things like this aged well:

The Space Battle, Luke vs Vader, Yoda.

While things like this did not:

Ewoks, Return of the Jedi's Ewok Party ending, C-3PO in general.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
BeetleManiac said:
Samtemdo8 said:
And you expect me to make up a detailed character arc on the spot, at least admit I can't unlike most writers (Looks at Game of Thrones)
Detailed? No. But you won't even present me with a character beyond some vague nouns that you strangely insist be capitalized as proper nouns. And please don't deflect again. You make a list of awesome-looking things you want, but you don't give us any reason to give a shit.

Let's try an illustration. Have you watched Gundam 00?
Nope, the only Gundam I ever watched in its entirety was G Gundam.

But I have something, I do have a character I imagined but it is a LONG detailed thing and doesn't even involve Star Wars directly, but Sci Fi epics in general.

All I can say it concerns Orchestral Music and a story that goes with the Music. And Music Interpretation.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
So how would you fix what is now an incoherent mess of a franchise?
I wasn't aware that it was. Wasn't the actual reboot a way of sorting things out?

Samtemdo8 said:
Imagine the Republic and the Jedi Order as shown in the prequels battles the Sith Empire as shown in the Original Trilogy, and have more Sith characters than just the Emperor and Darth Vader.
It's the Galactic Empire, not the Sith Empire. Also, we have seen sides fight on relatively equal footing, namely in the prequels (Republic vs. CIS).

Now, I think that would have been a good idea for the sequel movies, having the Republic battle the First Order, but the OT works well enough with the Rebellion vs. the Empire.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Ezekiel said:
Also, it's a terrible idea because whatever Disney does with Star Wars, it's not gonna be as good as the original trilogy, because it's handled by a bunch of corporate clowns instead of artists now. Kathleen Kennedy only cares about the money.
The prequels were handled by many of the original artists from the OT and looked how bad those turned out. Lucas himself wasn't able to recapture what made the OT great and he created the while thing.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
trunkage said:

Well to some people the Original Trilogy aged well like wine, for me things like this aged well:

The Space Battle, Luke vs Vader, Yoda.

While things like this did not:

Ewoks, Return of the Jedi's Ewok Party ending, C-3PO in general.
But I like C-3PO!

...Then again this is coming from someone who also likes Jar Jar Binks, so make of that what you will...

spacemutant IV

Feb 25, 2012
I feel that on the scale that the Star Wars movies are at now, art just crumbles under its own weight and it cannot be helped. They have already shown their best efforts to save a damaged franchise and reboot the thing, and they wouldn't be able to do it better if they actually started from scratch.

Yeah sure, I myself also have a beautiful vision of what could have been, but I guess everyone has that. And everyone just disagrees with everyone else. So many people involved, so many voices, so many ideas, so much money, it just can't be done right.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Why don't we all just admit there are way better stories in the expanded lore? I mean yeah, 80% of Star Wars novels are utter trash, but a cool 20% might be adaptable to screen.
I maintain Karl Urban as Dash Rendar in a Shadows of the Empire movie...

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Ezekiel said:
Silentpony said:
Why don't we all just admit there are way better stories in the expanded lore? I mean yeah, 80% of Star Wars novels are utter trash, but a cool 20% might be adaptable to screen.
I maintain Karl Urban as Dash Rendar in a Shadows of the Empire movie...
What would be the point of that? There's no mystery then. Everyone knows how it will end. I want good original stories.
We all knew how Rogue One was going to end - it was in the opening scrolls of A New Hope the spies paid the price for getting the death star plans.
We all knew how the Prequel trilogy was going to end.
We all know of the new trilogy is going to end.
We all knew how Dark Knight was going to end. We know how every James Bond movie is going to end.

Surprise endings aren't what make movies great. And you can have an original story with a very predictable and obvious ending.