Star Wars needs a reboot. Reboot the Original Trilogy, Reboot the Prequel Story, Reboot everything.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Silentpony said:
We all know of the new trilogy is going to end.
To be honest, I can't say. I can guess, but I couldn't say with certainty in the same way as the prequels.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Hawki said:
Silentpony said:
We all know of the new trilogy is going to end.
To be honest, I can't say. I can guess, but I couldn't say with certainty in the same way as the prequels.
I think its a fair bet Kylo Ren is going to die, the Empire will fall, Rey will go one to teach new Jedi, and the ghost of Luke will look on and nod happily.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Squilookle said:
Get this into your head:

No movie, series, franchise, or IP property has EVER needed a reboot. Especially not Star Wars- perhaps the most iconic and timeless of the lot.

I thought TLJ was fantastic- the Best SW film since before the Prequels. And I went into it completely unspoiled by trailers or bullshit youtube opinions. Honestly why anyone would seek that garbage out before watching it themselves is beyond me.
I've heard enough about some of the plot points to be discouraged. Luke was a terrific character. To fulfill a plot, they've had him act waaaay out of character. I'm disappointed.

Course, the whole enterprise was compromised since, "no Luke, I am your father".

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Dazzle Novak said:
All of this is an exercise in figuratively subsisting on candy and insisting "Jolly Ranchers totally have, like, vitamins and stuff!"

Is it possible that a quirky pastiche of Flash Gordon and samurai flicks wasn't a solid enough nucleus for the mythological importance that's been placed around it and the original's world-building flourishes weren't proof of any actual, systematic lore that could sustain attempts to pump out stories for perpetuity with any sort of meaningful variety or artistic integrity?

"Leave it alone and move on" is an option, but how else can people get that nostalgia-high while Disney clears a billion a year off one franchise?
I think these are excellent points also.

I mean, let us not forget that the original cut of Episode IV was apparently ridiculous and was only saved by the grace of better directors such as Spielberg and DePalma [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk] and a lot of good editing. And we saw what happened with unfiltered Lucas: we got Jar Jar the possibly racist caricature alien and half of Darth Maul bored at his own premiere. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0wHqNi3x5M]

I like Star Wars well enough but this shit ain't exactly Tarkovsky.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Let me explain my relation to Star Wars beause people here thinks I am a hater lookin to Troll.

I was into nothing BUT Star Wars in the mid 2000s. Revenge of the Sith hype was at its peak, I LOVED the Prequels more than the OT (not that I hated the OT but I thought the OT was dated) I own all the movies and that 2003 Clone Wars movie.

I played the Fuck out of the Revenge of the Sith Video Game, Battlefront 2, Republic Commando, and KOTOR. I even Halloweened Costumed as Darth Vader once. I bought worthless Star Wars toys and merch as a kid in Toys R Us (Worse purchase making decision in my life)

But than something happened, The Internet happened, and I saw for myself the negative opinion of Star Wars Prequels and that the Original Trilogy Special Edition was a war crime of Mengela Proporations, the Red Letter Media Guys, the People v George Lucas, and the fandom in general was so polarizing to me along with growing up made me want to give up on Star Wars to save face. My Star Wars world was destroyed by the fandom and critics.

That the only good Star Wars thing to come out of this franchise is the first 2 original movies and everything else sucks and you are skub for liking them. That was the impression I got in my mind back than.

So now I have this love/hate relationship with Star Wars where I love it when it is at its best in my eyes, but hate it because the criticisms against Star Wars things like the movies are true and must be fixed or rebooted.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Samtemdo8 said:
So now I have this love/hate relationship with Star Wars
I was at a party recently, debating about The Empire Strikes back: a 35 year old movie. Love or hate it, the movie was that impacting that we are still talking about it decades later.

I think the movie makers have really choked on a great property. The books and games have gone far beyond the thin gruel the movie industry is feeding us and that is a damn shame. Have you played "The Force Unleashed"? IMHO, better than ANYTHING in the movies since 8/9 of Empire (I knew they shot themselves in the foot with the "No Luke, I am your father". Other than that, the movie was the thing fantasy is made of... the line about Luke being strong in the force, "but you are not a Jedi yet."... chills. Since then? They really need to reboot this thing to catch up to just how great other media have been and what the movies could be.

Ooops, wrong clip

Jan 19, 2011
>Go on the Escapist
>See a thread that has gotten 85+ replies in under 20 hours
>It isn't about feminism, the Mass Effect 3 ending or Extra Credits leaving
>Think "The Dark Days are over! The Escapist has been restored!"
>It's just a handful of users arguing amongst themselves

Never change Escapist

OT: I do don't think a reboot is necessary. Even if it would be rebooted, the frachise is so iconic, I doubt that any reboot would be met with positive reception.

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
As a person who marathons the Star Wars movies every few months, has read dozens upon dozens of (old and new) EU Books, sports a Tattoo of the Imperial Logo, and GMs a Star Wars Tabletop, the thought that someone suggests rebooting the series makes my brain hurt. A lot.

Also, I liked The Last Jedi. According to many people that makes me not a true fan.

Kyman102

Apr 16, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
All this has taught me that Star Wars fans on the internet suck. Everyone I've talked to loved the movie, or at least enjoyed it that they left with a smile on their face. I have yet to find a single person in real life that downright hated the movie.
I'm gonna echo this. Everyone I've talked to personally, that is, not over anonymous forums, who've seen The Last Jedi liked it. Didn't think it was flawless, but they liked it well enough.

I go on RT, and I see a good percentage of the low fan reviews are bitching about Rey being a Mary Sue or talking about how damn SJWs ruined something perfect, so I know I can safely ignore them.

Basically, when I go see TLJ I imagine I'm going to enjoy it. I liked TFA well enough (Yes I realize the similarities to ANH but I still had fun), so I imagine I'll enjoy TLJ well enough.

And the online critic reviews I usually followed seemed to like TLJ well enough. These are the ones I follow because our tastes usually align well enough that if THEY like something I'll probably enjoy it.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Fuck reboots. So many reboots already. Make a Star Wars horror movie. I'd watch that. My knowledge of Star Wars is limited to "I watched the movies once or twice", but I'm sure in all that expanded universe shit there's some horror story in there, right?

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
Wintermute said:
Fuck reboots. So many reboots already. Make a Star Wars horror movie. I'd watch that. My knowledge of Star Wars is limited to "I watched the movies once or twice", but I'm sure in all that expanded universe shit there's some horror story in there, right?
Sure is!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Troopers

Would make a pretty neat movie. I also think they should experiment with the "A Star Wars Story" movies. Have smaller, more human(or alien) stories. Kinda like what Logan was for X-Men.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
You're just not thinking big enough, sweet supple salamander paladin fruitcake...we need to reboot HUMANITY!

WE GONE DONE FUCKED EVERYTHING SO BAD. SO FUCKING BAD. REEEEEEEEBOOOOOOOOOOOT IT ALLLLL!!! FRESH CANVAS!! [small]Squeeeehehehe![/small]

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Wintermute said:
Hell, it's an ENTIRE GALAXY! They already made a full out war movie (Rogue One), and there should be plenty of room in a galaxy to make films of any genre. The trick is, what differentiates it from a standard sci-fi horror film? What makes it Star Wars?

For that matter, what makes Star Wars Star Wars? Sam obviously has his own thoughts on that which he's expressed here, but I'm curious to hear other people's opinions on it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
COMaestro said:
Wintermute said:
Hell, it's an ENTIRE GALAXY! They already made a full out war movie (Rogue One), and there should be plenty of room in a galaxy to make films of any genre. The trick is, what differentiates it from a standard sci-fi horror film? What makes it Star Wars?

For that matter, what makes Star Wars Star Wars? Sam obviously has his own thoughts on that which he's expressed here, but I'm curious to hear other people's opinions on it.
What makes Star Wars at its best for me is not the Jedi and the Sith, but the Starship Battles:

This blew me away more than Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader. I have this idea of my own Sci Fi story that focuses heavily on Spaceship Battles.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Reboot is dumb. Why shit on people's childhoods, especially when there's a great, big Galaxy beyond the Skywalker clan?

Not only that, the Jedi existed for thousands of generations, there could easily be a KOTOR style story where it's effectively a reboot.
I agree, the inconsistency of the aspects of the force need to be codified and reigned in a bit. It can't be a Deus Ex Machina and do whatever the plot needs it to do.

But, as OP said, the EU/Legends didn't really define a lot of the force powers and the universe, maybe at first with the Heir to the Empire and Coran Horn/X-Wing series, but beyond those series it got off the rails fast.
Superweapons every time you turn a page, Jedi popping up out of nowhere, and the Yuuzhan Vong which are 90's up the ass.
Dark Empire is one of the worst offenders with the reborn Emperor making at least 3-4 superweapons: world devastators, clone bodies, galaxy gun, two super star destroyers bigger than the executor and then making hyperspace force storms.
The Courtship of Princess Leia is even worse, Han kidnaps Leia, meets force witches on Dantooine who ride rancors into battle and then this evil Prince is courting Leia and she considers it because he has the Hapes clap, I mean Hapes Cluster full of battleships that were somehow overlooked by the Empire.

I wasn't really happy with everything in The Last Jedi, but there's room for a universe beyond the Skywalkers to start with.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ravenbom said:
Reboot is dumb. Why shit on people's childhoods, especially when there's a great, big Galaxy beyond the Skywalker clan?

Not only that, the Jedi existed for thousands of generations, there could easily be a KOTOR style story where it's effectively a reboot.
I agree, the inconsistency of the aspects of the force need to be codified and reigned in a bit. It can't be a Deus Ex Machina and do whatever the plot needs it to do.

But, as OP said, the EU/Legends didn't really define a lot of the force powers and the universe, maybe at first with the Heir to the Empire and Coran Horn/X-Wing series, but beyond those series it got off the rails fast.
Superweapons every time you turn a page, Jedi popping up out of nowhere, and the Yuuzhan Vong which are 90's up the ass.
Dark Empire is one of the worst offenders with the reborn Emperor making at least 3-4 superweapons: world devastators, clone bodies, galaxy gun, two super star destroyers bigger than the executor and then making hyperspace force storms.
The Courtship of Princess Leia is even worse, Han kidnaps Leia, meets force witches on Dantooine who ride rancors into battle and then this evil Prince is courting Leia and she considers it because he has the Hapes clap, I mean Hapes Cluster full of battleships that were somehow overlooked by the Empire.

I wasn't really happy with everything in The Last Jedi, but there's room for a universe beyond the Skywalkers to start with.

Which is why everyone accusses the newest movie of trying to elminate the Skywalker aspects completely in favor of setting up Rian Johnson's new trilogy. And I gotta be honest. This better be the best damn trilogy and take on Star Wars ever to justify all this salt in the internet right now. The Last Jedi was very split.

So yeah I am kinda done with the Skywalker saga, heck I was done with it awhile ago. Let it die already so we can have new stories, I want my Old Republic movies to be thing, I want my Galatic Republic vs Sith Empire War stories.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Samtemdo8 said:
I want my Old Republic movies to be thing, I want my Galatic Republic vs Sith Empire War stories.
I want to move forward, though they've messed that up so badly.

I was thinking something along the lines of the Foundation series. You've just smashed the Empire. Think of the galactic regional war lords and getting them in line. Rebuilding the Jedi school. Dealing with mini rebellions run by various alien tribes fighting against a Pax of the Republic. It would've been great. Instead, they've blown it all up.
I hear the movie ends with the "Resistance" reduced to a few people that could all sit in a Honda without being squished.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
COMaestro said:
Wintermute said:

No idea. To me they're just movies. Some people go nuts over them, which is fine, like what you like, but I don't see it. They're good enough movies, with some iconic visuals/villains/weapons, the end.

I typed some horror movie ideas but they were all shit because I don't even know what you can do with "the force", I know you can throw shit around the room and that's all I remember from "the force" in the movies.

Maybe have a Prometheus/Alien-like crew land on a planet to retrieve some ancient Star Warsy mcguffin. This crew isn't good or bad, they're just there to do a job. They take the mcguffin back to the ship, where it releases "the force". Garth Spader, a spaceship mechanic, gets sick because reasons, the crew doesn't know what's wrong with him, so he's quarantined, and as the sickness spreads, his body begins to deteriorate because it can't take "the force", but his mind is fine, and he starts to plant ideas in the minds of the rest of the crew, getting them to turn on each other in violent ways. Everyone dies, Garth Spader is later rescued by a dark side ship, and this is the origin story of the main villain in episodes 19, 20, 21.

Look dude, just slap STAR WARS on the poster, people will go see it.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Samtemdo8 said:
COMaestro said:
Wintermute said:

What makes Star Wars at its best for me is not the Jedi and the Sith, but the Starship Battles:

This blew me away more than Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader. I have this idea of my own Sci Fi story that focuses heavily on Spaceship Battles.
Rogue One certainly helped, I really wanted a movie more about the "wars" part of Star Wars. A "dirty dozen" style movie worked pretty well. Although, a movie or something about Star Wars real dirty dozen (Wraith Squadron) would appeal to me (if few others.)

But yes, there's plenty of parts of the Star Wars universe that so far are completely unexplored... even in the Legends material. Star Wars has its own cyberpunk, there could be a slicers and droids movie. Rogue One gave us ground war from a small elite squad perspective... no one really has told the story of a platoon or battalion. Plenty of starfighter commands in the legends material, but we've never seen the adventures of one capital ship and its crew kind of Star Trek style. There are lines about "hives of scum and villainy" but we haven't really seen a story taking place that features the darker places in the galaxy. They keep telling us how awful The Empire and First Order are, how about a story from the inside? Let us see some of this oppression the "wars" are fighting against.

But even though we got Rogue One, and the Han Solo movie is going to inevitably take us to the criminal side and highlight some smuggling... I really don't think we will get much variation. Star Wars is a pulp sci-fi high fantasy space opera. None of the examples I suggested fit in to that mold and most likely won't get a chance.