Star Wars: Rebels And The Obligatory Force Cave Episode

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Star Wars: Rebels And The Obligatory Force Cave Episode

"Path of the Jedi" isn't a perfect mid-season premiere, but has enough unique touches to make it a worthwhile watch.

Read Full Article

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
I liked the final scene to, but I Think it worked pretty well on a more subtle level as well. If I remember my Star-Wars trivia correctly, most Padawans design their ligtsabers to be similar to their masters as a sign of respect, and that handle with a guard makes Ezra's sword look similar to the Inquisitor's "rapier-style" lightsaber. I just find it interesting that, intentional or not, Ezra chose a design that looks a lot more like the weapon used by his greatest nightmare than that of the master he idolizes. Maybe this is supposed to be a que showing that Ezra isn't quite over the allure of the Dark Side yet.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Wait, this started up again?! Argh! I missed it! Stupid DisneyXD is not advertising this stuff like they should be!

So it was true then? Ezra's lightsaber has a blaster attached? I'm afraid I fall into that group of fans who goes, "NO!" at the mention of that idea. Customizing a lightsaber is a common thing, but adding a blaster just feels...tacky. "Hey kids! Look how cool we are!" type of thing.

As Obi said, "So uncivilized."

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
Yes, Ezra's lightsaber has a stun blaster attached to it's hilt. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ezra%27s_lightsaber

I thought the episode was okay, but it was a bit long to just deal with Ezra's trial. On the other hand, they couldn't have shoe horned in another storyline without taking to much from it... So I guess this is the best that could be. I would have liked a little more time spent on Kanan's story and seeming time spent in darkness. But I guess they're holding that for a later story.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
"He's further along on the Path to the dark side then we thought"? Ummm? Minor point, but when we first meet Ezra he is living in what can essentially be described as an desolate wizards tower and his primary hobby would appear to be COLLECTING TROPHY HEADS! This kid isn't Luke Skywalker. He's "Dexter, the early years". Being trained by a "Jedi" that thinks smuggling WMD's to random terrorists while wearing a soul patch is the light side answer to life probably does not help the situation. Heck it can be safely argued that nothing exposed to Freddy Prinze Jr. is ever destined for the light side, ever.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Let me ask you something: do you think Kanan is an effective teacher, given the circumstances?

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Burnouts3s3 said:
Let me ask you something: do you think Kanan is an effective teacher, given the circumstances?
I think what's interesting about Kanan is that, according the the New EU novel he's in, he never became a full Jedi master. He's basically the "cool" teacher who gets what it's like to be a kid, can bond more directly with students, and is more willing to joke around/admit personal faults than someone stoic like Yoda. The downside is that he's a lot more inexperienced and uncertain about what he's doing, and tends to make up lessons as he goes along.

With the rest of the crew helping out as a surrogate family, it's not so bad. The question is how Ezra might react when he finds out more about this dark past Kanan isn't talking about.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
faefrost said:
"He's further along on the Path to the dark side then we thought"? Ummm? Minor point, but when we first meet Ezra he is living in what can essentially be described as an desolate wizards tower and his primary hobby would appear to be COLLECTING TROPHY HEADS! This kid isn't Luke Skywalker. He's "Dexter, the early years". Being trained by a "Jedi" that thinks smuggling WMD's to random terrorists while wearing a soul patch is the light side answer to life probably does not help the situation. Heck it can be safely argued that nothing exposed to Freddy Prinze Jr. is ever destined for the light side, ever.
I sincerely doubt Ezra has killed anyone with that dumb slingshot of his. Not enough to explain the entire trophy shelf, anyway.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
faefrost said:
"He's further along on the Path to the dark side then we thought"? Ummm? Minor point, but when we first meet Ezra he is living in what can essentially be described as an desolate wizards tower and his primary hobby would appear to be COLLECTING TROPHY HEADS!
They are helmets that he's stolen. He doesn't kill anyone to get them. He either tricks Imperials out of them--like the pilot in the short 'Property of Ezra'--or just takes them when they're not looking. I think he even keeps the helmet he got as a cadet and says that it will make a nice addition or something like that.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ezra Lightsaber remind me alot of the Gundam X beamsaber.

Well ok it's not the same thing but they are still similar that the saber is not a small tube with the blade come out one end of it.

As for the episode, it was ok given that his training wasn't the tradional ones we seen from the Clone Wars. Also I felt Yoda present well his voice was just another quick cash in like they did with R2 DS and C3PO cameo.

Also for some reason I find the Inquisitor killing the crew for some reason, I think I find it funny as in he just appear out of nowhere like one of those ambush/ monster appear out of nowhere among the party sort of reaction.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Wait, this started up again?! Argh! I missed it! Stupid DisneyXD is not advertising this stuff like they should be!

So it was true then? Ezra's lightsaber has a blaster attached? I'm afraid I fall into that group of fans who goes, "NO!" at the mention of that idea. Customizing a lightsaber is a common thing, but adding a blaster just feels...tacky. "Hey kids! Look how cool we are!" type of thing.

They did it because he's bad at deflecting so the stun gun gives him a ranged defense option. Working around a weakness rather than trying to be a cool guy.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:

Pistol swords are a thing that have existed, both in fiction and the real world both. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened in star wars before now, honestly. Seriously...we have a billion different styles of lightsaber (Less said about saber whip the better) and pistol-saber has never come up?

Also, there is an in universe reason for it.

He can disguise the blade itself AS a laser pistol so he won't get found out as a Jedi or arrested for an illegal item (Lightsabers were basically only found on the black market and, owning one was pretty damned illegal during the empire era even if you weren't force sensitive).