Star Wars: Rebels Gets A Little Pitch Black In A Good Way

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Star Wars: Rebels Gets A Little Pitch Black In A Good Way

"Out of Darkness" has some great ideas, but at the end of the day? It's about watching Rebels' female cast kick all of the ass.

Read Full Article

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah that was good episode given the rest of the character some backstories about them and the development. Still I don't get why "Fulcrum" is so mysterious, I'm just guessing they are saving the revel to be some kind of a twist. Granted it does make me wonder why Fulcrum put those supplies on that asteroid other than he/ she assume it would had been a simply picked up and leave (yes I know it was abanddon and no one would of nor want to find it but it did serve as a deathpit).
Also yeah that part when they fought back was soo horde suvival video game like!

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
I was really looking forward to the episode to find out some more about Hera and Sabine, and on that front I was left lacking. The only thing we really learned was that The Ghost is operating as terrorist cell (which they are, so that's not really news), that there are other rebel forces out there (We knew from the episode with Senator Organa) and that Sabine was a former cadet (she said so in that same episode, but this is confirmation). There really wasn't even a resolution to the primary problem, Sabine having issues with all that Hera and Kanan are keeping from the rest of the crew. She's just agreed for now to go along with the program, even if she doesn't like it. I hope we will revisit this later in the season.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Go watch the SW:TOR Deceived trailer ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdgmH9Vv2-I ) and tell me that Kanan, Hera and Sabine aren't based on them.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Ha ha ha, oh man. Dat title pic. Not exactly the most flattering shot of Hera :p

I liked how Ezra went overboard during the rescue trying to impress Sabine, only to be rescued by her for his brashness. Also, that dumb "light slingshot" of his actually did a bit of good, but it's still a joke of a weapon. I've said it before and I'll say it again; just give the kid a blaster already.

nekoali said:
I was really looking forward to the episode to find out some more about Hera and Sabine, and on that front I was left lacking. The only thing we really learned was that The Ghost is operating as terrorist cell (which they are, so that's not really news), that there are other rebel forces out there (We knew from the episode with Senator Organa) and that Sabine was a former cadet (she said so in that same episode, but this is confirmation). There really wasn't even a resolution to the primary problem, Sabine having issues with all that Hera and Kanan are keeping from the rest of the crew. She's just agreed for now to go along with the program, even if she doesn't like it. I hope we will revisit this later in the season.
I got the impression that they were deliberately holding back on providing details for future episodes. I'm sure the show is being planned for multiple seasons, and they don't want to blow their load too quickly with character development.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Yeah this one was pretty good. Kickass ladies are always cool. I still want to learn more about Hera's backstory.

Also, several people are speculating on who Fulcrum actually is. The hopeful are thinking it's

Ashoka

Who knows?

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
True enough. I was just left wanting more out of this episode, but not in the good way. I enjoyed the episode, don't get me wrong. It just felt kind of flat and didn't really seem to advance the overall story much.

I agree that Sabine or someone needs to hand Ezra a pistol and say "Here, use this already would you?" That slingshot may be a backup weapon, but half the time it doesn't do more than tickle whatever he hits with it.

captcha: save it. No, I'll talk if I wanna, captcha!

Firanai

Jun 7, 2010
Sigh...this series for me has the same issue as clone wars, too childish. It has improved a bit and it's not as infantile but still. Yes I get that this is a kids show but that doesn't excuse you to treat your audience like idiots. As for today's episode it has been a pleasant surprise since I find ezra quite boring. I hope we can explore the other characters more.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ishal said:
Yeah this one was pretty good. Kickass ladies are always cool. I still want to learn more about Hera's backstory.

Also, several people are speculating on who Fulcrum actually is. The hopeful are thinking it's

Ashoka

Who knows?
That was the first thought that IMMEDIATELY popped into my head. I really hope that turns out to be true.

Anyway, I was happy that Sabine finally got her own episode, but I was having a hard time squaring it with her Mandalorian heritage. These people are soldiers and warriors through and through. They don't question orders, but they sure as hell don't take orders from the Empire either. I also have a hard time believing there's a training ground on their home world. Sorry, I'm still using the Expanded Universe and its twenty-plus years of history as a source book.

All in all a fun episode and looking forward to the next one.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
Ishal said:

Ashoka

Who knows?
That was the first thought that IMMEDIATELY popped into my head. I really hope that turns out to be true.

Anyway, I was happy that Sabine finally got her own episode, but I was having a hard time squaring it with her Mandalorian heritage. These people are soldiers and warriors through and through. They don't question orders, but they sure as hell don't take orders from the Empire either. I also have a hard time believing there's a training ground on their home world. Sorry, I'm still using the Expanded Universe and its twenty-plus years of history as a source book.

All in all a fun episode and looking forward to the next one.
Mandolorians are a touchy subject for a lot of the EU fans. There are always discussions on /co/ regarding them and their place in the EU.

This is something Filoni has said on the subject.

Mandalorians did not exist when Boba Fett was created.

He was just some mysterious bounty hunter. Then the EU writers eventualy created the mandalorians as some badass species of warriors who all wore armor like Boba Fett, because Boba Fett was cool.

However Lucas himself did not have much overview over the EU canon. Hence why he established the levels of canon. Basically it meant everything he accepted and put on big screen was ultra canon. Everything he greenlit for TV or cartoons was almost canon.
Everything below that was canon unless TV or movie says otherwise.

Mandalorians were never in the upper canon.

When Episode II was created Lucas focus was much more on creating a legacy for Boba rather than establishing the Mandalorians.

So they didn't create a man in mandalorian armor when they made Jango. They created a man in an armor similar to Boba's.

The concern of whether Boba or Jango were Mandalorians was pointless outside EU.

However when the TCW crew finally wanted to make the Mandalorians upper canon, they followed Lucas intention behind Jango and Boba by disconnecting them from the Mandalorians.

The Mandalorians essentially became minor elements of Boba and Jango's story by providing the badass armor for them. Nothing more.

Like a bandit who carries some elven sword he got from killing a ranger. Something to establish his badass nature.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I'm wondering about the Sabine connection. I'm really liking her, but I'm curious about her backstory. Was she part of Death Watch and did Bo-Katan and the other Mandalorian rebels get crushed, thus creating the Imperial academy on Mandalore?