Star Wars: Rebels: Lando's Smooth Smuggler Swagger

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Star Wars: Rebels: Lando's Smooth Smuggler Swagger

An old friend returns to make trouble in "Idiot's Array".

Read Full Article

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
One thing I've noticed about numerous reviewers reactions to Rebels (not Marshall Lemmon, to be fair) is that there seems to be this perception that Clone Wars was superior and that Rebels is somehow not there.

This is somewhat confusing as going through Clone Wars, I feel that its writing isn't that great, it lacks focus and Ahsoka Tano is unbearable in the first two seasons, whereas Ezra Bridger was actually a highly likeable & empathetic character from the start. Does he have the usual annoying tendencies of a younger character?
Of course, but they're tightly reined in very early on in the show.

I have to disagree entirely with the review of 'Path of the Jedi' as it showed far more sensitivity to the Star Wars mythos, great story telling and felt that bringing in Frank Oz made it feel far, far more authentic than anything that Clone Wars was able to muster up.
I'll admit that the original trilogy are favourites, flaws and all, and also point out that Clone Wars has plenty of good things going for it despite showing heavy interference from George 'I'm a great screenwriter, honest' Lucas.

Rebels' entire aesthetic just feels and looks so much authentically like Star Wars than anything I've encountered in the EU, with the exception of KOTOR.

Idiot's Array was wonderful in its use of Billy Dee Williams' return as Lando. Sure, it's fan service, but to those of us who didn't every single Star Wars EU book that came out, this is a wonderful chance to see Lando as a young Han might have met him.
A smooth talking, scheming yet extremely likeable galactic con man. It also neatly uses the episode to highlight Lando's interest in mining, which fits nicely into his later career in Cloud City.

Rebels takes Star Wars seriously as a setting, but more than that, its creators clearly love the material and love exploring the Dark Times of the Empire and I for cannot bear waiting a whole week in between episodes to see the sparks that lit the Rebellion.

People really should give this series the love it deserves.

Plus a female Mandalorian artist who likes to use colourful explosions to wreck TIE fighters, what's better than that?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So which iconic character is going to be next in Rebel, Wedge?

Yeah I didn't liked the episode too much and yeah I do agreed that I didn't get what Lando achived from antagonisting some of the crews especially when it really doesn't work for him (the pig puff up seperating the crew).

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Boba Frag said:
One thing I've noticed about numerous reviewers reactions to Rebels (not Marshall Lemmon, to be fair) is that there seems to be this perception that Clone Wars was superior and that Rebels is somehow not there.

This is somewhat confusing as going through Clone Wars, I feel that its writing isn't that great, it lacks focus and Ahsoka Tano is unbearable in the first two seasons, whereas Ezra Bridger was actually a highly likeable & empathetic character from the start. Does he have the usual annoying tendencies of a younger character?
It's confusing because you're thinking of the wrong Clone Wars. There were two animated series with that name. There's a 2008 series you watched [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Clone_Wars_(2003_TV_series)] which I haven't really heard much praise for.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
My hope is that Rebels will improve as the series progresses just as the 2008 Clone Wars series did, the noticable downgrade in detail and storytelling is difficult though

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Boba Frag said:
I feel that Clone Wars (the computer animated one) does outshine Rebels in one key area, and that is tension. In Clone Wars, the story didn't need to be focused on just a small group of people. The good guys had expendable people just like the bad guys did. Now granted, that got thrown out the window whenever the story focused on Anakin, Obi, or Ahsoka, but when it was about other characters? Or clone troopers tagged along with the main characters? They ran the risk of dying, and that heightened the tension for me. With Rebels always being about this small team, that tension is gone, because no matter how bad things get, there's no way any of them are going to die. I'd be happy--and utterly crushed too--if they took the time to prove me wrong, but without the cannon fodder good guys, Rebels does feel like it's missing something compared to Clone Wars for me.

Anyway, I saw the title of this episode on On Demand and I thought, 'Why does that name sound familiar?' It wasn't until the next day when I was at work that the answer popped into my head. Idiot's Array is basically an unbeatable hand in the Sabaac card game. I thought that was a nice little shout out to fans of the Expanded Universe.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Falterfire said:
Boba Frag said:

It's confusing because you're thinking of the wrong Clone Wars. There were two animated series with that name. There's a 2008 series you watched [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Clone_Wars_(2003_TV_series)] which I haven't really heard much praise for.

That's not correct, how can I be thinking of the 'wrong' Clone Wars? It appears you're the one who's confused.

I am well aware of Genndy Tartakovsky's excellent Clone Wars cartoon.

The computer animated Clone Wars certainly has great moments, but really fumbles on character moments and story beats.

It's also by Dave Filoni, and I've nothin but respect for that guy, but it's clear that Lucas's oversight really made it less than it could be.

Rebels is Star Wars getting back to where it should be.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Boba Frag said:
That's not correct, how can I be thinking of the 'wrong' Clone Wars? It appears you're the one who's confused.

The computer animated Clone Wars certainly has great moments, but really fumbles on character moments and story beats.

It's also by Dave Filoni, and I've nothin but respect for that guy, but it's clear that Lucas's oversight really made it less than it could be.

I mean that whenever I see Rebels compared unfavorably to Clone Wars, they're talking about the 2003 show, not the 2008 show. I haven't seen anybody say that the 2008 show is superior to Rebels, although this being the internet I'm sure every possible opinion has been expressed by at least one person.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Falterfire said:
Boba Frag said:

I mean that whenever I see Rebels compared unfavorably to Clone Wars, they're talking about the 2003 show, not the 2008 show. I haven't seen anybody say that the 2008 show is superior to Rebels, although this being the internet I'm sure every possible opinion has been expressed by at least one person.
Right, I see where you're coming from now. I just love this show, and even more as it's going back to Ralph McQuarrie's artwork for inspiration, plus even officially using terms like 'kaibur crystal' which if anything is legitimising old EU stuff.

Plus it has this wonderful sense of adventure I haven't felt since... Oh, before you were born.

And, indeed, the internet's both wonderful and awful for that, huh?

That said, the 2003 show had its faults too, but it did a lot to actually make Mace Windu actually cool (in typical Tartakovsky effortless style), the Jedi actually competent and make Anakin out to be more than just a borderline psychotic. Happily, things that the 2008 show picked up on.

Captcha: Reverse the polarity.

Damnit, this isn't a Doctor Who thread!