Star Wars Saturation Point Begins: Standalone Film Announced For 2016

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Star Wars Saturation Point Begins: Standalone Film Announced For 2016

Godzilla director Gareth Edwards will helm several standalone Star Wars spin-offs.

In addition to the upcoming J.J Abrams directed Star Wars trilogy, Disney has now just announced that a series of standalone spin-offs will be produced by Godzilla director Gareth Edwards and screenwriter Gary Whitta. The first of these films will be released on December 16, 2016, and while Disney didn't announce its subject matter, the company previously stated that such standalone films would most likely be origin stories, with everyone from Yoda, Boba Fett, to Han Solo thrown around as possible candidates.

Gareth Edwards first made a name for himself with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. He then went on to make the recently released Godzilla, which earned $38.5 million on its first day, and went on to earn $93.1 million in domestic box office for the weekend.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life -- join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited and honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm," said Edwards.

Gary Whitta is perhaps best known for 2010's The Book of Eli, but video game fans may know him better for his work on TellTale Game's The Walking Dead series.

Are you excited at the prospect of a Bobba Fett/Han Solo origin feature, or do you think that the franchise is starting to get a bit over-saturated?

Source: Star Wars.com [http://starwars.com/news/gareth-edwards-and-gary-whitta-onboard-for-star-wars-stand-alone-film.html]

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I do not think this news is going to be met with rapturous applause, but clearly the man's keen and I wish him well.

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
Yeah, that's it Disney! Milk that cow for all she's worth! Milk it 'til she bleeds from her udders!

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Expect to see the new Sta Wars spin-off hit theatres on May 6th 2016!!!

Oh, wait a minute...

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Kmadden2004 said:
Expect to see the new Sta Wars spin-off hit theatres on May 6th 2016!!!

Oh, wait a minute...
No way, I'm already trying to work out going to two midnight showings at once. JK, I'm not going to the Dawn of Justice (League) at midnight.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Because Star Wars wasn't saturated before under the creaking weight of all the books, video games, TV series, toys etc?

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
It's definitely become over-saturated. Just like Batman, there's way too much of it. If it turns out good, that's great, but I can't get excited for this stuff anymore. It's no longer the exciting new thing that happens once a decade; it's just expected now.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I look forward to seeing a massive Space battle between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire, only to cut away from the first opening salvo to follow some diplomat rambling about midichlorians.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
if modern corporate suits existed back in the renaissance era, we would have 17 portrait sequels to the mona lisa and a spin off statue series

id like them to do a jar-jar binks origin story movie, simply because the rage would be delicious

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
As any Jedi should, I only recognize the possibilities, both good and bad, and await the revelation of sufficient information before passing judgement.

To Edwards and Whitta, may the Force be with you, because the whiny fanboys sure as hell won't.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I think it's a bad sign that people are asking about over saturation already, but than again people have become so cynical over the Star Wars movies that this isn't exactly a great surprise. I personally think that the only way to avoid the question of Star Wars movies being "over saturated" is to turn out varied and quality movies from the in the Star Wars universe. I mean I have no doubt JJ Abrahms is going to make the big budget flashy popcorn movie, but nothing is stopping them from having this other Star Wars movie from being a political thriller that might set up Abrahms films better. BUT I also don't like Abrahms that much as a director and I don't think he'd have skill or vision for that sort ambitious project. Oh how I'd like to be wrong for this one unlike how I at all wasn't for his Star Trek movies.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh...they can reboot the Ewok movies!

Anyway, I hope this turns out well, but that ep7 is rubbish so nobody cares...

evilnancyreagan

May 1, 2014
ok, so the guy who did Monsters also did Godzilla,

and is now slated for SEVERAL Star Wars? spin-offs?

Jumping Jesus on a Pogo stick!

Directors of cinema are clearly the biggest whores in the industry of creativity, eschewing any and all artistic integrity for biggest wad.

as if I need anymore reason to despise non-interactive media.

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
Origin stories, eh? Like the one about Darth Vader?

The original trilogy had something to say. Unless these origins stories have something to say (other than, "This is how we got that awesome character everyone loves from the original trilogy"), then I don't see it working out any better than the last attempt at it.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
I don't know that I am going to call this oversaturation until I see the quality of the product. I am enjoying the hell out of the marvel movies and they just can't release fast enough for me because they are good. They said from the day Lucas sold the universe to Disney that they were going to do 1 movie a year starting in 2015 so this doesn't come as a surprise.

Personally, I am hoping for a movie dedicated to the 501st legion during the Jedi purge. I want to see Vader kick ass in his prime.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
'Saturated' might be going a bit far considering we don't yet have a single one of the new movies....

Now, when we actually get to the point when we've had a couple and are still getting one per year or so, then yes.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
What made them pick Garreth Edwards? I don't have anything against him (or any opinion at all about him) but was he picked solely because of Godzilla?

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Are you excited at the prospect of a Bobba Fett/Han Solo origin feature, or do you think that the franchise is starting to get a bit over-saturated?
Waitwaitwait....