Star Wars Series Will Include Origin Story Films

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Star Wars Series Will Include Origin Story Films

A series of standalone movies will feature character backgrounds from the Star Wars films.

Rumors had been circulating earlier this year about standalone movies between Star Wars Episodes VII, VIII, and IX. a recent Disney investor conference has put them to rest. Jay Rasulo, Disney's chief financial officer, clarified that these standalone movies will not be spinoffs but "origin story films."

The first origin story film will come out in 2016, after the 2015 release of Episode VII, directed by J.J. Abrams. The three episodes and three origin films will be produced over the course of six years, starting from 2015. Disney has not released any details yet on who the first origin story film will be about nor what the plans for the next trilogy of films will entail. IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/13/star-wars-spinoffs-will-be-origin-story-films] guessed the films might address Han Solo or Yoda's past because their beginnings have been touched on very little. There are plenty of characters in the universe to choose from, including villains such as Emperor Palpatine.

Rasulo said the franchise is still going strong and "the market is extremely hot for everything Star Wars." Disney purchased Lucasfilm last year, and the company plans to expand the franchise's presence in theme parks and its brand around the world. Variety notes that Lucasfilm primarily licensed Star Wars toys, but Disney plans to broaden the franchise into "housewares."

"Of all our worries, Star Wars is not one of them," Rasulo said at the investor conference.

Source: IGN [http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/star-wars-skys-the-limit-for-disney-when-it-comes-to-opportunities-1200609291/]

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I could do without these origin films, i really don't need to know what Han Solo was doing in his past, who cares anyway? We know everything that is relevant to know for the movies to make sense, the rest is just fluff...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
For the love of god, don't do this for any of the main characters. Boba Fett's backstory is convoluted enough, and Han Solo's is actually pretty good. Telling Yoda's would completely rob us of any mystery surrounding him and his species.

If they are doing Origin films, do them for the new characters they reveal in episode 7.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
MrBaskerville said:
I could do without these origin films, i really don't need to know what Han Solo was doing in his past, who cares anyway? We know everything that is relevant to know for the movies to make sense, the rest is just fluff...
Especially since they already have his back story flushed out rather well in the EU.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
So wait.. .not only will Disney be milking this carcass for a nerw updated trilogy, but they intend to do "origin" films Ala the Xmen franchise ?(Disney strikes again!)

Well, I at least give the big D credit. They are violently determined to spare no expense at completely sandblasting the property down to skeletal structure and rebuild their own abomination.

I really cannot wait to see what happens when the notoriously irrational starwars fanbase sees disneys machinations and goes as expected ME3 ending berzerk.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Oh great. In a universe of possibilities they are going to stick to the same dozen bloody people, same dozen bloody planets, same dozen bloody races and same dozen bloody weapons.

Stop rehashing the same crap. The original trilogy was good because of the originality in it. BE ORIGINAL or you are just stuffing Star Wars into a needlessly small box.

The Emperor firing lightening from his hands was awesome because it had never been seen before in Star Wars. It was frightening and powerful. Nowadays the idea has been rehashed so much Jedi are little more than electric pokemon.

Luke mentions in the first movie bitterly that Tatooine is the furthest place from the centre of the universe, but you don't get that impression from every other Star Wars fiction, which almost contractually includes an excursion to the desert planet of NOTHING BUT SAND. Seriously, the amount of superpowered heros and protagonists that had to go to that barren planet for vital plot related reasons is ridiculous.

Give me something new and exciting please! I don't want the same ideas rehashed with a slightly younger cast, I want a brand new story with brand new characters set in the same universe but bringing a whole new window on the diversity of this entire magical universe where men with god-like powers face off against each other and those without use sheer ingenious technology to even the playing field.

Leave the original cast alone, some things are best left to the imagination (like midichlorians for crying out loud) Give me a new War in the Stars.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I don't suppose we could somehow think outside of the 50 year period that the Movie series takes place in? or is it like 40 years. Hard to tell. Anyway, the history of Star wars spans thousands of years, let's pick another time and place where something might have happened if you want a spin off movie. Throw a dart if you have to.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
For the love of god, don't do this for any of the main characters. Boba Fett's backstory is convoluted enough, and Han Solo's is actually pretty good. Telling Yoda's would completely rob us of any mystery surrounding him and his species.

If they are doing Origin films, do them for the new characters they reveal in episode 7.
Don't worry, instead of doing Boba Fett's backstory they can do his followup after Jedi. Yes, I am referring to the 'Tales of the Bounter' where he acts as the Best Man at Dengar's wedding.

I do agree though that they should avoid the core characters. If a story about one of them fails it taints the whole pile. Do them on secondary/tertiary characters, or maybe even extended universe stuff. People would pay a lot more to see something about Kyle Katarn or Mara Jade than the CG fest that a Yoda movie would be. Some of those characters work so well BECAUSE we don't know much about them.

Almost without a doubt the most likely candidates for back story would be Han and Chewie (the most interesting and action packed), but any die hard Star Wars fan has already seen how Harrison Ford and Peter Mayhew handled the last Star Wars H&C spinoff. NOBODY wants to repeat that.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Soviet Heavy said:

Don't worry, instead of doing Boba Fett's backstory they can do his followup after Jedi. Yes, I am referring to the 'Tales of the Bounter' where he acts as the Best Man at Dengar's wedding.
Hey now, while the Dengar story sucked, The Last Man Standing is pretty much essential Boba Fett reading.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Hm... seems legit enough. They did Clone Wars pretty well until they got rid of Tartakovsky and went all wooden ("3D animated") with it. Curious to see where it goes and how they handle other characters.

roseofbattle said:
Variety notes that Lucasfilm primarily licensed Star Wars toys, but Disney plans to broaden the franchise into "housewares."
It begins... again.

I, for one, am looking forward to owning a Star Wars flamethrower.

Captcha: "taken aback" ...it's like it knows.

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
I don't know what it is, but I can't stand prequels and origin stories. I hate them with a fiery passion. When I am interested in a series, I want to see that world and those characters continue to evolve as time goes on, not dive into a past where deaths, political upheavals and character development are already foregone conclusions.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I have a bad feeling about this.

Sorry. had to :)

But really when I read this one thing came to my mind.

Star Wars Origins: Jar Jar

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Somewhere the red letter media guys are banging their heads against door frames.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I still won't be able to know if any of this is a good or terrible thing until episode VII comes out and we understand the tone of the project and Abram's goal for it. At least Disney seems to have a clear strategy going forward so that's hopeful. That and Abram's hands can't possibly be any less capable than Lucas' were getting with the IP. Movies not being made at all wouldn't be less capable than that.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Lucasfilm primarily licensed Star Wars toys, but Disney plans to broaden the franchise into "housewares."
I look forward to replacing all of the kitchenware I own with Chewbacca plates and cutlery. May the merch be with me.