Star Wars: Shattered Empire Will Explore the Aftermath of Return of the Jedi

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars: Shattered Empire Will Explore the Aftermath of Return of the Jedi

Marvel Comics' Star Wars: Shattered Empire will follow the continued battle with the Empire in the months after Return of the Jedi.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/13813-15-Pieces-of-Star-Wars-DeviantArt-to-Get-You-to-December>Star Wars: The Force Awakens will take place a full 30 years after the end of Return of the Jedi. If its Stormtooper-laden trailers are any evidence however, it will also take place in a galaxy still very much at war. That might be surprising to some. Jedi's ending, after all, arguably made it seem like the Rebel Alliance had won and that the threat of the Empire was over. If there's one thing the creative minds currently driving the franchise are intent on showing however, it's that the fight for galactic peace will take more than blowing up a few Death Stars.

Case in point, Disney-owned Marvel Comics recently offered <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars?os=star+wars>Star Wars fans a sneak peek at Star Wars: Shattered Empire, an upcoming four issue mini-series aimed at portraying the immediate aftermath of Palpatine's death and the Rebellion's victory at the Battle of Endor. According to series writer Greg Rucka, it won't be all celebrations and Ewok dancing. "The Empire still has resources." he said. "They may be in disarray post the Battle of Endor, but to think that in that vacuum people aren't stepping up [is shortsighted]... All these people are not about to go, 'Oh, well, I guess we were on the wrong side. It's over, then.'" In other words, the Empire in Shattered Empire will still be a force to reckon with.

Rucka will demonstrate this, in part, by moving away from the holy trinity of Luke, Leia and Han and introducing a new pair of protagonists, the husband and wife team of Kes and Shara Bey. Through their experiences in the months following Endor, readers will learn that "the Empire has no intention of going quietly into the night." While Rucka acknowledges that four issues isn't nearly enough time to fully explore that idea, its his hope that Shattered Empire will serve as a strong foundation for more post Jedi stories as Disney, Lucasfilm and Marvel work their way forward on the "Journey to <a href=http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/09/star-wars-release-20-books-journey-force-awakens>Star Wars: The Force Awakens."
[gallery=4508]
Source: <a href=http://www.starwars.com/news/the-new-galaxy-of-star-wars-shattered-empire-an-interview-with-greg-rucka>Star Wars

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
This would be really cool....if the old expanded universe hadn't happened. Now it's just mildly interesting.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
That might be surprising to some? Anyone who has interest in Star Wars outside just watching the movies (ie the target audience for this), would already not only know this, but would probably already know what happened after Endor, namely:
The Truce at Bakura
Dark Forces
X-Wing Series
The Courtship of Princess Leia
The Thrawn Trilogy
ext, ext, 100 plus ext

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
Ukomba said:
That might be surprising to some? Anyone who has interest in Star Wars outside just watching the movies (ie the target audience for this), would already not only know this, but would probably already know what happened after Endor, namely:
The Truce at Bakura
Dark Forces
X-Wing Series
The Thrawn Trilogy
ext, ext, 100 plus ext
Well, none of that happened in the new canon. So this is new-ish ground even for those well versed in the old EU. I'm atleast excited for these comics.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
StewShearer said:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens will take place a full 30 years after the end of Return of the Jedi. If its Stormtooper-laden trailers are any evidence however, it will also take place in a galaxy still very much at war. That might be surprising to some. Jedi's ending, after all, arguably made it seem like the Rebel Alliance had won and that the threat of the Empire was over. If there's one thing the creative minds currently driving the franchise are intent on showing however, it's that the fight for galactic peace will take more than blowing up a few Death Stars.
Yeah this was always the thing that bugged me about Jedi's ending. Just 'cuz you kill Hitler doesn't mean the war ends. So I'm glad the story is being continued like this.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Ukomba said:
The Truce at Bakura
Dark Forces
X-Wing Series
The Thrawn Trilogy
ext, ext, 100 plus ext
Yup, and that puts a damper on any enthusiasm or curiosity for me. I know what happened.

I do applaud the writer making a pair of new characters. With any luck, neither will become a Jedi.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Beyond the Knights of the Old Republic games and that one god awful horror novel about space zombies, I've never been able to get into any of the Extended Universe sections of the Star Wars canon.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Uuuuuggghhhh. I just don't care about this anymore. They threw out the expanded universe so that they could promptly sell toys and comics that cover the same topics. They'll probably just throw that out too in time. It's okay, we all know how well written comics are.

The new film hasn't even come out yet, and I'm already sick of Star Wars.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
CellShaded said:
Ukomba said:
The Truce at Bakura
Dark Forces
X-Wing Series
The Thrawn Trilogy
ext, ext, 100 plus ext
Well, none of that happened in the new canon. So this is new-ish ground even for those well versed in the old EU. I'm atleast excited for these comics.
Wish I could feel the same, but my experience with the D-Canon so far has shown me nothing but a joyless cash grab. The portion that isn't aimed at children younger than 10 is a shallow, hastily assembled mess that attempts to fill in decades of back story and plaster superior content crafted over 20+ years. The trash they pumped out to overwrite splinter of the mind's eye nearly Divergent levels of bad.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Well as one of the people who like star wars for the old EU, I'm going to just ignore this as much as I can. I was debating about trying to give the new stuff a shot, but there is no way if they are doing it with the comics. The comics with the old EU were terrible, and I doubt this will be any better.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
Give me the Endor Holocaust and that will make me interested enough to buy it.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
I want to have faith that it'll be good, but I'll probably end up being dissapointed cause I'll keep comparing it to the EU the entire time. Yeah, the EU had problems, but it also had Mara Jade Skywalker and Grand Admiral Thrawn, Corran Horn and Warlord Zsinj.

It wouldn't surprise me if the new movie is a let down as well.

grimabepraised

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
MC1980 said:
Spaceman Spiff said:
Ukomba said:
The Truce at Bakura
Dark Forces
X-Wing Series
The Thrawn Trilogy
ext, ext, 100 plus ext
Yup, and that puts a damper on any enthusiasm or curiosity for me. I know what happened.

I do applaud the writer making a pair of new characters. With any luck, neither will become a Jedi.
All of the extended universe pre-Disney acquisition was wiped and is no longer canon.
Does anyone care that RoboCop (2014) wiped the RoboCop cannon?

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Hey kids, remember the Thrawn Trilogy and all the other stuff we sold you at the pretense that that's what happens after ROTJ? Forget it, here's what REALLY happened.
karkashan said:
I want to have faith that it'll be good, but I'll probably end up being dissapointed cause I'll keep comparing it to the EU the entire time. Yeah, the EU had problems, but it also had Mara Jade Skywalker and Grand Admiral Thrawn, Corran Horn and Warlord Zsinj.

It wouldn't surprise me if the new movie is a let down as well.

grimabepraised
Don't forget Kyle "God" Katarn.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Darknacht said:
Does anyone care that RoboCop (2014) wiped the RoboCop cannon?
Did RoboCop have hundreds of novels and comic books and dozens of video games in different genres spanning thousands of years of history based around it? For some reason I don't think so.

voltair27

Apr 9, 2012
Well, I'm interested.

I read the EU and I'm very glad that they decided to do their own thing. There's plenty of great things about the EU, and maybe Disney will be persuaded to bring some of them back, but there was a much larger portion of terrible things that were completely irredeemable (Yuuzhan Vong for one.)

It does look like they're bringing some stuff back, depending what Rogue One is about. I'd like to see them acknowledge KOTOR as Canon and Kyle Katarn's saga as well.