Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser Trailer Released

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser Trailer Released

The first full teaser trailer for Star Wars: The Last Jedi is out, and you can watch it here.

Fresh from Star Wars Celebration in Orlando, Disney has rolled out the first teaser trailer for Star Wars: The Last Jedi. You can expect to see plenty of familiar faces when you watch:

As you can see, there's little in the way of story teases or information, and basically just confirmation that Rey is getting some Jedi training, there are space battles, Finn is getting healed, and Kylo Ren shows up eventually. Oh, and Luke wants the Jedi to end.

You can check out the new poster in the gallery below.

The Last Jedi will be in theaters December 15.

[gallery=7213]

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Looks promising. Will this be the Empire Strikes Back of the new trilogy? It would make sense for the First Order to make a major counterattack. Otherwise they won't seem like much of a threat.

I feel like there is some context to Luke wanting theJedi to end. Perhaps he wants a new and better organization of Force sensitive people to take its place or something. One without the Jedi's more glaring flaws.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
Saltyk said:
I feel like there is some context to Luke wanting theJedi to end. Perhaps he wants a new and better organization of Force sensitive people to take its place or something. One without the Jedi's more glaring flaws.
Well, I suppose if there absolutely must be balance, then the existence of a Jedi requires there is a sith as well... :p

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Somebloke said:
Saltyk said:
Well, I suppose if there absolutely must be balance, then the existence of a Jedi requires there is a sith as well... :p
That's something the EU has tried to address before. Balance isn't zero dark side.

Which is why I have a feeling Rey is gonna be some kind of "gray" Jedi.

I am excited to see some real lightsaber action. A cross between the gritty fights of VII and the flashy duels of the prequels would be amazing.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Um, yes, please.

Really looking forward to seeing what they're going to do with this one.

Also, kinda curious to know why Luke wants the Jedi to end and how they handle it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'd imagine Luke calling for the end of the Jedi is indeed an allusion towards an epiphany regarding bringing balance to the Force. You can't bring balance to anything if you subscribe to one extreme or another.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
I'm glad to see that Luke wants the Jedi to end; I suspect the writers are going to address the glaring issues of how incredibly messed up the old Jedi order and Jedi code were. I mean, just looking at the prequels, I remember thinking even when I saw them as a kid that taking little babies away from their parents and indoctrinating them was incredibly messed up. Anyone who's ever managed a room of toddlers has reason to be horribly concerned at how those classes of kids behaved. (I've worked in daycare!) I honestly found myself wondering if the little trainees were on drugs or lobotomized.

Plus, if you raise kids like that, they'll develop serious attachment disorders ... which may well have been what the Jedi WANTED, given they say "there is no emotion, there is the Force." That's like saying "we are robots, beep boop, we don't have chemicals in our bodies," ignoring your wiring instead of dealing with it by channeling it appropriately. And, well, it'll mess people up. Whiny teenager Anakin was badly written, but he also had some legitimate grievances with how horrible the Jedi were (though he WAS being evil), and I feel sorry for him for having to go through puberty RAISED by them.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Saltyk said:
Looks promising. Will this be the Empire Strikes Back of the new trilogy? It would make sense for the First Order to make a major counterattack. Otherwise they won't seem like much of a threat.
They wiped out an entire planet and several of its moons from light years away, and as far as we saw, they only lost Starkiller base and TIE Fighters. They still have a fleet that is untouched, while the Republic is in panic mode after losing its government and the Resistance fleet was nearly destroyed according to the dialogue during the battle. The First Order has a bloody nose after losing Starkiller, but they've managed to pretty much break the legs of their opponents. They are very much a threat.

I'm happy to see what looks like ground combat with more than just heroes this time. The Force Awakens was missing that. Not sure I like the fact that the camera is so close in the brief scenes we saw of the space battle. Makes the action too cluttered. But otherwise, I'm excited. Looks like it's going to tell its own story this time around.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Looks like it's going to tell its own story this time around.
Can any Star Wars film truly "tell its own story"? Given how mythic and grand scale they are, I really don't see how (that's not a criticism, btw). I just finished watching Rogue One, followed by the '77 [theatrical cut] SW (which I've not seen in absolutely years), and whilst they're separated by decades, they're still really telling the same old story.

...if you're just referring to perceived plot repetition in TFA, then fair enough (though I don't feel TFA could've - or should've - been anything else but exactly what it was[footnote]Other than maybe the stuff with the gangs and beasts on the ship. Whatever function those scenes served, they should've found other ways to do it, as it feels like the film suddenly diverts into a tangent for a few minutes.[/footnote]. SW needed to come home from its wayward trip between '83 and the end of the prequels. Abrams did just that).

As for the teaser: it teased well, so job done. Great poster, too. I kinda want to see Rey go Dark, or Ren return to the Light, but I'm sure whatever they have planned will be more than good enough.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
*face palm* Oh my god, they straight up stole the Legacy of the Force symbol from the EU along with the story line. -_-

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
I really hope they don't follow through on that and have Luke abandon the Jedi order to extinction. TFA already blew away so many of the 'happy endings' of Return of the Jedi...it's kind of depressing to think about. At least in the EU Luke's new Jedi order got to be a thing instead of getting killed off in the back story.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Ukomba said:
*face palm* Oh my god, they straight up stole the Legacy of the Force symbol from the EU along with the story line. -_-
I'd think people would be happy that they're actually incorporating elements of the EU rather than ignoring all of it...? Then again I never really got hardcore Star Wars fans.

The trailer looks pretty good, but I can't wait to see every youtube theorize do a "special episode" trying to analyze every pixel of it.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
hentropy said:
Ukomba said:
I'd think people would be happy that they're actually incorporating elements of the EU rather than ignoring all of it...? Then again I never really got hardcore Star Wars fans.

The trailer looks pretty good, but I can't wait to see every youtube theorize do a "special episode" trying to analyze every pixel of it.
Because it's more like the taunts of a thief than an incorporation. Incorporating would have been using the EU characters and attempting to stay true to their characters and back stories, not playing mix and match and renaming things on a whim.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ukomba said:

If they stole that symbol, then so did The Clone Wars, Rebels, and countless other comics and books that have used the symbol since 2006. And I'm not even sure if the Legacy of the Force is where that symbol originated from.

As for the storyline, we've seen one movie. The only similarities so far are that Han and Leia's son is evil. And named Ben, though that's another Skywalker grandson. They seem to be borrowing from Fate of the Jedi too, with Luke wanting to end the traditional Jedi order and pulling away from the Republic.

Apr 17, 2009
That smashed helmet, can someone with keener eyes than mine tell if thats the Vader helmet burnt on Endor that Kylo Ren owns, or Kylo Ren's own helmet that he wore for Force Awakens? Its in too many pieces for me to be able to tell but I bet there's someone out there who knows the exact dimensions of each and can recognise it solely by that one eye

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, basically 90% Empire Strikes Back, 10% Phantom Menace (those skiffs on the barren world).

Yay. :(

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Pallindromemordnillap said:
That smashed helmet, can someone with keener eyes than mine tell if thats the Vader helmet burnt on Endor that Kylo Ren owns, or Kylo Ren's own helmet that he wore for Force Awakens? Its in too many pieces for me to be able to tell but I bet there's someone out there who knows the exact dimensions of each and can recognise it solely by that one eye
I spot little metal strips like those that went around the eye holes on Kylo's mask in the debris, so I think it's his.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Um, yes, please.

Really looking forward to seeing what they're going to do with this one.

Also, kinda curious to know why Luke wants the Jedi to end and how they handle it.
Before that Retcon with the Prequels there was no Light
Bob_McMillan said:
Somebloke said:
Saltyk said:
That's something the EU has tried to address before. Balance isn't zero dark side.

Which is why I have a feeling Rey is gonna be some kind of "gray" Jedi.

I am excited to see some real lightsaber action. A cross between the gritty fights of VII and the flashy duels of the prequels would be amazing.
Before the Retcon that I'd hoped that the movies would drop there was no Light side of the Force. It was The Force, and the Darkside IE someone corrupting the use of the force. It isn't Light vs Dark. It's Balance vs Dark.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I like grizzled old Luke, and how the writers seem to afford him the burden of consequence. If I had trained a prodigy of the Force who then went on to relish the slaughter of thousands, I'd probably adopt a "fuck all this shit" attitude as well.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:
Ukomba said:

If they stole that symbol, then so did The Clone Wars, Rebels, and countless other comics and books that have used the symbol since 2006. And I'm not even sure if the Legacy of the Force is where that symbol originated from.

As for the storyline, we've seen one movie. The only similarities so far are that Han and Leia's son is evil. And named Ben, though that's another Skywalker grandson. They seem to be borrowing from Fate of the Jedi too, with Luke wanting to end the traditional Jedi order and pulling away from the Republic.
Dave Filoni was the worse thing to happen to Star Wars right up until Disney. It's still the Legacy of the Force symbol. It was fine for other Star Wars media to use it at the time since it didn't inhibit the creation of future stories. Not really true any more.

Hmm, well does this sound familiar to you?

During a time when the Republic has grown bloated and overly bureaucratic and has ended it's war against the imperial remnant, Han Solo's Son gets tempted to the dark side by a secretive Dark Master. Han's Son turns on Luke, killing several of his Jedi and emotionally crippling him to the point where he goes MIA. As a result, the story revolves around a strong female lead aided by an ex-imperial (possible love interest) tasked with bringing down Han's, Darth Vader obsessed Dark Side corrupted son.

Due to The Republic government being less than helpful, a new group of resistance fighters is formed around exceptional leaders like Leia and Expert Pilots like Wedge. Han's Son attempts to take out this new resistance, even attempting to kill his own father and mother.

Early on in the story, they have to deal with a multi-planet destroying Super Weapon powered by a star, which they manage to destroy through a combination of infiltration and an exciting space battle.

I just described part of the plot of the Legacy Era.

Sure they re-arrange things and mix in some other lore like Knights of the Old Republic ideas and imagery, bits from Dark Forces 2, and Dark Empire, but that seems to have been done to make their Frankenstein look and feel as much like "A New Hope" as they could manage.