Star Wars: The Old Republic Breaking EA's Pre-Order Records

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Star Wars: The Old Republic Breaking EA's Pre-Order Records

The excitement for the new Star Wars MMO has taken EA by surprise.

The upcoming Star Wars MMO, The Old Republic is proving to be the most pre-ordered game in EA's portfolio. EA's Frank Gibeau says that the game is doing even better than the publisher expected, and adds that it was outstripping other greatly anticipated titles.

[gallery=400]

"It's the largest number we've done at EA in comparison to other titles," Gibeau told investors. "The next closest title is Battlefield 3, and it was up significantly from there." The pre-order details for The Old Republic were revealed last week. There are three different editions available: the standard, the digital deluxe and the collector's edition. The standard edition costs $60, the digital deluxe version, which is only available on EA's Origin service, costs $80, and the collector's edition costs $150.

Pre-ordering any of version grants early access to the game, as well as a "color stone," which lets players change the color of their lightsaber and blaster bolts. Pre-ordering the digital deluxe or the collector's edition will also grant access to in-game items, such as a training droid and a small speeder. Finally, shelling out for the collector's edition yields a number of real-world goodies, like a statuette and a music CD, as well as even more in-game bonuses.

Gibeau also touched upon the game's closed beta, which he said had thousands of players and was proving very fruitful. "We're learning a lot of great things," he said, "and getting a lot of great telemetry that's improving the game on every new release."

No release date has been announced for The Old Republic as yet.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/313335/star-wars-the-old-republic-pre-orders-breaking-records-15-new-screens-here/]

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Ah, I would not celebrate yet. Every new MMO starts up with a lots of Subscribers. The trick is to not go downhill after that.

And given the popularity of Star Wars and Bioware, and their marketing engine, it would be surprising if they did not get a lot of preorders.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Revenge of the Nerds. Return of the Nerds. The Nerds strike back. etc.

Don't underestimate the appeal of a star wars mmo to star wars nerds. They'll eat your internet servers for breakfast if you do.

This reminded me that I still have to pre-order this thing...Better hurry before the servers really DO blow up.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Indeed. It's easy to get pre-orders. It's getting them to stay that's the trick. Look at DCU online.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
I have no intention of involving myself with an MMO. However, it's going to really interesting to see if KOTOR performs to expectation.

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Bah, tried to Pre-order from Origin but cant get the page to go to the UK ver, meaning i'm forced to pay the overpriced Euros and try to translate from german or get someone from back home to order for me... Origin you are NOT making me a future customer this way, even steam lets me change the bloody language at least.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
John the Gamer said:
Don't underestimate the appeal of a star wars mmo to star wars nerds. They'll eat your internet servers for breakfast if you do.
Tell that to Star Wars Galaxies...

I'd be far more surprised if this didn't launch big. TOR really could launch on a scale that even WoW would notice, and probably will. Trick is, as others have said, in keeping hold of that playerbase after the initial hype has worn off.

I just can't see it. You can't beat WoW at its own game - that's been proven time and time again; SWG is sad proof that the IP alone isn't infallible; and relying on Bioware's to date 100% single player focused fanbase to stick with an MMO for months or years seems dubious.

All that, and launching a mega-budget subscription MMO in a year when half the western MMO market is shifting to hybrid/F2P models... I dunno... TOR just feels like it's coming to the party very late.

Apr 5, 2008
Got my Coll. Ed. pre-order sorted and my early access code. Now I just need it to launch. Hope they offer a lifetime sub though I fear it's unlikely.

Worse still, it's likely to be out around Skyrim which will take precendence over all other things. It will be too much gaming, even for me.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Man, I feel dirty to know that EA is getting all that money. :/ I would have pre-ordered years ago if they weren't the Publishers.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Wait, we can't change the color of our lightsabers if we don't pre-order?

Kukulski said:
It's so obviously a niche game. The only people who will play it after the "I'm bored of WoW" crowd goes back home are the ones who love Star Wars enough to play an inferior MMO. It is a big group, but any mention of dethroning WoW is a running joke by now.
Declaring an MMO inferior before it comes out, fuck yeah!

AlthorEnchantor

Jul 28, 2010
Expletive Deleted! I had no intention of pre-ordering--or even playing!--this game, but come on, color stone? Recolorin' mah glowstix!

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
dyre said:
Wait, we can't change the color of our lightsabers if we don't pre-order?
You'll probably be able to buy the color stone. It's EA. They're big on selling stuff that should be in the game.